The Ridge Hotel
$347
$335
  • Restaurant
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
$182
$174
  • Fitness center
$217
$197
Hotels.com
  • Bar/Lounge
The Westin New York at Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$291
$239
  • Pool
$458
$359
Marriott Hotels
$239
  • Room Service
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
$234
$195
CrownePlaza.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
NYLO New York City(New York City)(Great Value!)
$286
$229
Orbitz.com
$148
$133
  • Room Service
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$178
$142
Park Central
  • Fitness center
All reviewshotel east houstonlower east sidewhole foodsroof terracekatz delif lineruss daughtersaround the cornersubway stationgreat locationbars and restaurantsgreat rooftopnew yorkbagelsrooms are smallboutique hotelwalking distance
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Hotel was affordable, nice lobby, rooms small but clean and comfortable, staff nice.

That being said.

The first 2 nights of the 3 I stayed there, our toilet was broken and overflowing (literally, waste overflowing into bathroom) every time we flushed it. We had to get it plunged 2-3 times a day. We couldn't move rooms until Sunday because they were all booked, so we just had to stay in this tiny room with an overflowing and broken toilet.

I didn't complain, I just asked to be moved ASAP. The room we were moved to on Sunday was bigger with a working toilet (phew).

When I checked out Monday morning, we were told to call later to speak with a manager about getting a discount - when I spoke with the manager, he was very nice and took 25% off the rooms for the first 2 nights.

What? 25%? Would you put up with a broken and overflowing toilet in NYC for a 25% discount?? I thoroughly expected to both nights free. I should have AT LEAST gotten one night free. That is ridiculous. I can find the 25% I saved on the ground. I could play a harmonica and make that 25% in the 2nd avenue subway stop in an hour. WHO ONLY TAKES 25% OFF A ROOM WITH AN OVERFLOWING TOILET WHEN THEY OVERBOOKED THE HOTEL AND COULDN'T MOVE YOU?!?!?

I was also offered a 15% discount next time I book at their hotel. Had I gotten one or both of my nights free, I would have gladly stayed there again, but now - no thanks.

Room Tip: Avoid room 503.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nicole W
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed there for a few nights in January 2011 - so its been a while. It really depends what you are looking for but we wanted exactly this location and really loved it. Looking for a budget 3* hotel you won't find better value for money around E. Houston Street. Breakfast is very basic and kind of a 'lavish' Motel 6 breakfast (in the basement) but hey: if you are busy the whole day, you just wanna have some cereals, bagel w/ cream cheese and fruits to start the day and then rush out, this is your thing. The rooms are tiny - even for NYC! So don't plan to move in with your oversea suitcases. They nicely appointed though. We had some issue with the toilet but bringing it to their attention it was directly fixed. Location as mentioned is perfect if this is the hood you need to be in. Value for money for a budget hotel with friendly staff, awesome roof top and clean facilities.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Clemenshh
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We were pleasantly surpised with this hotel having been awarded it on a Hotwire booking, and having no prior experience or choice in it's selection. This clean small modern hotel is well located and rooms a nice size for New York. The staff was very accommodating with keeping our luggage both before checking in and after check out, and the included continental breakfast was nice bonus.

We've added it to our future New York City hotel list, hope to return.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank srpilo
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Chose for location i.e. Proximity to chinatown. Read many reviews on tripadvisor so no surprises anyway. Room size was no problem for us, warm and quiet inside, both slept well. Continental breakfast suited us. Helped me break a faulty luggage lock within 5mins. Much too cold to venture out on the roof! Looked after our cases for a few hours after we checked out. Would use again.

1  Thank epeterrobinson
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I really don't understand why people are complaining about the size of the rooms because this NYC and you're paying ~$150 per night which is really cheap! If you're looking for a large, luxurious room to spend a lot of time in, obviously go to the Waldorf and such in midtown.

But for those who want to explore the city, you're RIGHT in front of a Subway stop so you can go uptown or down to Brooklyn. Within walking distance is Soho, Little Italy, Chinatown, the bars of Lower East Side. Houston Street is a prominent street so you're right in the middle of the action.

Yes the rooms really only accommodate a large bed and some drawers but that's all you need! The service was nice, I love the modern decor, and the facilities were clean and comfortable. I went late to the free breakfast in the basement so there wasn't much left, but I did get some coffee to drink on the top balcony which was really a nice view.

My only complaint was that I was there with a friend and the bathroom had a glass wall from which you could see the toilet from the bed... A little awkward but nothing too problematic.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends