“Boxing fans ideal bar” 4 of 5 bubbles

Jimmy's Corner
Ranked #388 of 13,488 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television
Neighborhood: Midtown
Bimingham
“Boxing fans ideal bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

If you love boxing and beer in a great atmosphere this is the place . Just off Times square and its like a boxing fans whos who haven . Nice beer too and a great price

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ParrotBimingham

• Greek first
New York
“A midtown dive, and I mean that as a compliment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

I hadn't been to Jimmy's Corner for a long time, and I haven't stopped in regularly since the stretch of 42nd between 6th and 7th still had peep shows. Then it was the cheapest dive bar in midtown, and I loved it because it reminded me of the East Village dive bar where I worked (except Jimmy's was focused on boxing instead of punk rock). Dingy. Loud. Bar staff who wouldn't let you keep hanging onto a table if you weren't ordering another drink. Walls crowded with memorabilia. Cheap beer.

So tonight I went back to Jimmy's, and it remains almost exactly as it was 20 years ago--one of the few places in the Times Square area of which that can be said. It's still loud and dingy, and still cheap. An echo of the old squalor still hangs around the place. I still love it.

Don't go to midtown if you can avoid it, but if you have to be in the neighborhood, end up at Jimmy's.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank lengelcj
Orchard Park, New York
“Great out of the way bar -right there in Times Square”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I heard about Jimmy's Corner and was in the mood for a drink. I ended up with more than a few beers and left with more cash in my pocket than I ever have in NYC. $4.00 Sam Adams for the four hours I sat there. Not the type of place to go with more than two friends due to the postage stamp size standing area behind the bars tools. Finding a stool is a bonus and I lucked out after only 10 minutes. No loud obnoxious yelling idiots, no discussion of politics allowed (even posted!) and new friends are made easily. Well, being so close to each other, you better become friendly. The bartenders were great and always in front of you to fill your empty glass. Don't expect bar food, just a great atmosphere.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Dennis C
“Friendly locals, cold beers just off Times Square without killer prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Just returned home after a father and son trip from the UK to New York. We stayed in the nearby Hotel Mela and tried Jimmys Corner for a drink, and we were glad we did. OK so this place is a bit rough around the edges, but hey the staff and locals are friendly, serve cold beers, e.g. Bottles of Budweiser $3 each for just of Times Square is a very acceptable price. If your not a fan of boxing that's no problem, if your a fan of a friendly bar and sensible prices give it your custom. I for one will return when I next visit NYC.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Simon W
Fresno, Ca
“Go early in your trip- locals give great suggestions!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

$3 beers just a block off Times-Square?! Yes! A super cool, tiny bar owned by Jimmy who used to manage Mohammed Ali. Tons of cool boxing pictures, and friendly locals! No food, but well worth a few hours. One of our favorite NYC experiences! I wish we had visited earlier in our stay, the locals know the best restaurants!

Visited April 2013