“A midtown dive, and I mean that as a compliment”
Review of Jimmy's Corner

Jimmy's Corner
Ranked #358 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Midtown
New York
“A midtown dive, and I mean that as a compliment”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I hadn't been to Jimmy's Corner for a long time, and I haven't stopped in regularly since the stretch of 42nd between 6th and 7th still had peep shows. Then it was the cheapest dive bar in midtown, and I loved it because it reminded me of the East Village dive bar where I worked (except Jimmy's was focused on boxing instead of punk rock). Dingy. Loud. Bar staff who wouldn't let you keep hanging onto a table if you weren't ordering another drink. Walls crowded with memorabilia. Cheap beer.

So tonight I went back to Jimmy's, and it remains almost exactly as it was 20 years ago--one of the few places in the Times Square area of which that can be said. It's still loud and dingy, and still cheap. An echo of the old squalor still hangs around the place. I still love it.

Don't go to midtown if you can avoid it, but if you have to be in the neighborhood, end up at Jimmy's.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank lengelcj

• Greek first
Orchard Park, New York
“Great out of the way bar -right there in Times Square”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I heard about Jimmy's Corner and was in the mood for a drink. I ended up with more than a few beers and left with more cash in my pocket than I ever have in NYC. $4.00 Sam Adams for the four hours I sat there. Not the type of place to go with more than two friends due to the postage stamp size standing area behind the bars tools. Finding a stool is a bonus and I lucked out after only 10 minutes. No loud obnoxious yelling idiots, no discussion of politics allowed (even posted!) and new friends are made easily. Well, being so close to each other, you better become friendly. The bartenders were great and always in front of you to fill your empty glass. Don't expect bar food, just a great atmosphere.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Dennis C
“Friendly locals, cold beers just off Times Square without killer prices”
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Just returned home after a father and son trip from the UK to New York. We stayed in the nearby Hotel Mela and tried Jimmys Corner for a drink, and we were glad we did. OK so this place is a bit rough around the edges, but hey the staff and locals are friendly, serve cold beers, e.g. Bottles of Budweiser $3 each for just of Times Square is a very acceptable price. If your not a fan of boxing that's no problem, if your a fan of a friendly bar and sensible prices give it your custom. I for one will return when I next visit NYC.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Simon W
Fresno, Ca
“Go early in your trip- locals give great suggestions!”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

$3 beers just a block off Times-Square?! Yes! A super cool, tiny bar owned by Jimmy who used to manage Mohammed Ali. Tons of cool boxing pictures, and friendly locals! No food, but well worth a few hours. One of our favorite NYC experiences! I wish we had visited earlier in our stay, the locals know the best restaurants!

Visited April 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Cheap beer great atmosphere”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Pints and bottles are 3 dollars in this bar lots of boxing memerobilia and an old juke box, open till 4 in the morning and full of locals

Visited February 2013