“Does the job”
Review of Super 8 Carlsbad

Super 8 Carlsbad
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed October 13, 2009

When a person travels and stays in small towns across the USA, this is the typical motel you'll stay at. To its credit, the bed was comfortable and the pillows were decent. The shower worked well and the hot water came on right away. The free wi-fi came in handy. Very important things.

The down sides: There were no outlets to plug in electronics. Every one was taken. There was the potential for being disturbed by noise in the hallway, but we were there on a relatively quiet day. And the continental breakfast was out of juice and didn't have much else.

I have stayed in much worse places across the country in small towns, so I feel a bit lucky. It's always a gamble when it's not the Ritz.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 10, 2009

My girlfriend and I were going to celebrate her birthday, She got sick with the H1N1 virus. Super 8 refused to cancle our reservation and still wanted to charge us 100% of our bill. My family and I will not ever use these branch of hotels again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dalleec
Reviewed July 16, 2009

I had booked this hotel on-line, and was not impressed when we arrrived. The hotel is very dingy. The room was small. The air conditioner did not work properly. Would not stay here again

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Stayed there with familys. We had 4 rooms total, all supposedly Non-Smoking. The two on the fist floor smelled heavily of smoke, the 2 on the 3rd floor reeked of smoke. If you have problems with smoke I would advise a diffrent hotel.

Price was reasonalble and staff was friendly.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank MltdIce
Reviewed June 2, 2009

We stayed at this motel one night because our plans to camp were spoiled by the weather. We chose this hotel because of the cheap rate, friendly front desk staff and location near the Carlsbad Caverns. In hindsight this was a huge mistake that we are still paying for.
We suspect that our room, and likely the entire motel, has a bed bug infestation. We did not actually see any bed bugs while staying at the motel. However, several days after staying at this motel, both myself and my girlfriend were covered in bed bug bites (it takes up to 9 days for bites to show up; it took 4 days for us). I cannot say that this motel definitively has bud bugs. However, considering the other "bed bug" posts recently posted regarding this motel and the fact that we were fed on by bed bugs at some point during our 5 day vacation in NM, it is the only reasonable conclusion.
I should add that when I called the motel concerning the bed bug bites, they told me that they had no previous bed bug issues. I questioned this because of the earlier May 8 posting on trip advisor and it was only then that they admitted to having an issue in one room. They claimed it was not the room that we stayed in and that they were dealing with the one room that had confirmed activity but considering their less than upfront disclosure to me, I have to question how bad the infestation in this motel actually is.
We have done considerable research on bed bugs since this occured and certainty is that bed bugs are becoming a serious issue.
This posting is to warn others so that they do not stay at this motel and then unknowingly carry the little buggers home with them. We have learned the hard way since we think we may have carried the larvae home and our house may now be infested. A responsible motel manager would deal with the bed bug issue proactively and with full disclosure so that guests need not be made aware via the means of this posting. Bed bugs can be dealt with and eliminated. Ignoring the problem does not make it go away. It only makes the problem worse when guests carry the bed bugs home or to another motel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JamesBND97
Reviewed May 24, 2009

The room was okay and so was the maid service. The hotel even has a computer in the lobby for the guests to use. My problem here was with the continental breakfast. The owner of this place is from India and he apparently adheres to the cleanliness standards of the Bombay Health Department. I have never seen a more unclean area in all of the motels in which I have stayed. The breakfast is from 6:30-9:30am and, on the first morning we were there, they ran out of bagles by the time we arrived at the breakfast area. I told the woman behind the desk in the lobby and I don't think it mattered to her. Her intellect was in inverse proportion to her body size and she didn't seem that intelligent. On the 2nd morning, I had finished breakfast and was on the computer in the lobby when a woman came down and told the overweight woman at the desk that the milk was sour. I don't know what happened after that because I didn't care. On the third morning, we had our own bagles which we had purchased at a local store. One of the other guests asked where I got them and I told them that the owner had them in the office below and all one had to do was ask for them. I didn't stay around to see what developed. They're not the cleanest or the brightest at this place and I wouldn't recommend it to a homeless person.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank globeseeker007
Reviewed May 19, 2009

Early bird special (< 5PM) was $54 for a single (goes up to $64 after 5). Room was clean and comfortable, with mini-fridge and microwave. Was in the last group of 5 or 6 hotels on the southern edge of Carlsbad - great for jumping off on a visit to Carlsbad Caverns. (I visually confirmed, that I did *NOT* want to stay at the hotel right at the park entrance!!!)

I was checking out just as breakfast was being served (6:30AM) but peeked in and it looked pretty decent, including a waffle iron (my favorite :-), so a little more than your basic continental breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlsbad
U.S. Travelers Inn & Suites
Fairfield Inn & Suites Carlsbad
Rodeway Inn
Rodeway Inn
#1 of 3 in Whites City

Been to Super 8 Carlsbad? Share your experiences!