“Avoid if you can!”
Review of Super 8 Carlsbad

Super 8 Carlsbad
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband and I visited Carlsbad caverns on a Saturday and had an absolutely fabulous time! Seriously, it is a must see for anyone within a few hundred miles. I even think it's worth flying to. Anyways, we planned on driving the 170 miles back to our home in El Paso but our car broke down literally on the state line between NM and TX. After dealing with getting towed back to Carlsbad (Thank goodness for AAA) we then needed to find a place to stay. It was passed midnight by this point and after calling every hotel in the area this Super 8 was the only one available (other than the Hampton Inn which was double the price on the Super 8). We walked 2 miles in some crazy pouring rain with all our bags. I'm sure we looked like some crazy homeless couple but even though we were soaked and haggard, the woman behind the counter was incredibly nice and made check in a breeze. The military discount helped bring their Saturday price down to $79.99 plus tax. I definitely have to say that it was definitely over priced. I'm sure this has to do with being so close to the caverns and it being a Saturday, but the room really should have been closer to the $50 - $60/night range. The room was clean, but definitely didn't have that "just cleaned" smell. We had a working mini-fridge as well as a functional microwave. The TV was large, new, and even swiveled. The bed was not as comfortable as I am used to in hotels but it sufficed. I was surprised that there were only two pillows and they were pretty flat. The windows did open which was a definite plus in my book. There was a lazy-boy type chair in the corner that seemed very out of place and I didn't dare sit in it. It didn't seem so clean. Considering we were desperate and just really needed a place to stay, this served it's purpose but all in all, I definitely would not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Super 8 Carlsbad

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Let me start off with NEVER AGAIN!!!!!! This hotel was extremely disappointing. The lady at the front desk check in was polite that was all that went okay with this hotel visit. Coming up the stairs and hallway to our room smelt like smoke and pieces of stairs were literally missing with holes in them.  Our room smelt of mildew & very old carpets. The carpets feel disgusting under your feet it's so old and gross you can't even walk on it without shoes. Also the fridge smells like rotten death. Seriously they need to throw it out literally not to mention it don't even run/work! All night I heard loud banging & water running so loudly somewhere. I can't even take a shower it is gross and stinks in there also. There was hair in the unused sink & tub, and lets just say wasn't from the head I'm almost sure :-/  the sheets Im the beds don't have a nice clean smell at all as a matter of fact they are very rough to lay on they are scratchy, cheap, and I felt itchy all night laying there. You might as well not slept with a pillow at all they were all flat completely and no where near comfy. Both my husband and I learned our lesson and will steer clear of super 8's after this experience. It was a BAD BAD one! Defiantly wasn't worth $89.99  for the night. Maybe $45.00 even if that!!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I was only here one night thank goodness. While I was not expecting a four seasons, it would have been nice if at least the back door locked so I would feel a little safer in the building. The hotel smelled a combination of smokey and musty, and after walking around the room in my white socks for a while, they were completely dirty. Due to hotels all being full during the week, I had little options for places to stay in Carlsbad, but I probably would not recommend this hotel to anyone. (Also, the pool was out of order while I was there- it didn't affect my stay, but it may affect someone else's plans).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed at the Super 8 Motel in Carlsbad, New Mexico on July 9, 2012. The sole purpose of staying at this hotel was to see the Carlsbad Caverns. First and foremost, the caverns are awesome. The self-led walk and the guided tour I took were both superb, and the experience of seeing what I had only previously witnessed in books and on television was well worth the 762 miles my family and I drove to get there. Because of the long drive, we stayed at the Super 8 Motel the night before. So having said that, what follows is the most honest review of this hotel I can possibly provide.

There are two main reasons why anybody should consider staying at this hotel: it is less expensive than most of the hotels within the area and it is closer than most of the other hotels to the park.

Upon checking in, I immediately noticed a "mildew / carpet deodorizer" type of odor in the front lobby. That same odor was also present in the room and it took a little while before my family and I either stopped to notice it, or could no longer smell it because the air-conditioner had brought some fresh air in. (Unfortunately, I believe it was the first of the two.) Nevertheless, the lady working at the front desk was very professional during the less than five minutes I needed to check-in; the room, linens, towels, and bathroom were all clean, and the room possessed a refrigerator, microwave, and a fairly new flat-screen television with all of the major channels. Travel-size soap and shampoo were also provided. Furthermore, the hotel appeared to be very safe. The swimming pool (which I could personally care less about) was not available for use.

In regard to the free continental breakfast (which is another thing I could personally care less about since free continental breakfasts at hotels rarely tend to be worth considering anyhow) there were the usual cereals, machine dispensed orange and apple juice and a waffle maker.

Would I stay at this hotel again? The answer is "unlikely" since I've already seen the caverns. However, I certainly don't regret staying there the first time around as my only real complaint was the odor.

Nevertheless, if you're on a budget (as i was) and you've never seen what many people consider to be the eighth natural wonder of our planet, this hotel certainly serves that purpose. And when you consider how abysmal and pricey the hotels in Carlsbad, New Mexico appear to be, the Super 8 Motel seemed pretty average for the area. For me and my family, it really was all about the caverns.

Dennis M. Price

Room Tip: Purchase a CamelBak filter bottle to save even more money when staying at hotels. It makes foul tas...
Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank mrelcentro
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The management greeted us very kindly as we entered this hotel, but I'm afraid the dingy room and dated decor said otherwise. We were checked in fairly quickly, and upon entering our room, it seemed clean from the surface but had a bit of a "stinch" in the air, couldn't quite pin point what it was and decided I'd rather not know. The beds were okay, although I couldn't resist but to shake out all the bedding before even sitting down. The bathrooms were clean.

I really think this could be a great hotel, but it just needs a whole lot of TLC! No pool when we went....bummer.....but the breakfast was great!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We checked in early evening Thursday, not too impressed by old furniture and fairly dingy room but beds seemed comfortable and we were weary travelers. Wi-fi was weak and kept going out, we had to re-connect so many times we quit. Breakfast in the morning was SLIM pickings (cereal, bagels, waffles; no fruit, yogurt and weird or weak apple juice). It could hardly be called "breakfast" but that is exactly what their sign calls it. After a busy morning at the fascinating Living Desert Zoo followed by 9 hours at Carlsbad Cavern, we returned to Super 8 at 9:00p to a room that reeked of mildew or mold. Apparently there were no other rooms available. The woman at the desk came and sprayed air freshner which lasted about an hour. Despite the 96 degree temps outside, we turned off the a/c and opened the window. Our room was halfway in the ground so we heard every customer drive in and out the rest of the night and the next morning, car doors slamming and other parking lot noises. They were not willing to modify the fee because it was out of their control (as was the advertised pool which was unusable). With tax, we paid $100/night for a dingy, OLD room with no pool, breakfast snacks, and mildew spewing air conditioner. They have NO MOTIVATION to improve the place because there's not enuf hotel rooms for the area. They can get away with it and charge that much. I'm going to stick with La Quinta Inn, they cost a little more but they're reliable clean, updated, good wi-fi, and have a real breakfast!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else, there are no good rooms here!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lucinda M
Reviewed June 29, 2012

The hotel was clean and the staff were friendly, though the furniture was not new. Also, the pool was not open. We enjoyed the free breakfast (mainly the waffles!). For the price, this seemed fine, and it was completely acceptable for a quick night's stay while visiting the caverns.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlsbad
Comfort Suites
#4 of 22 in Carlsbad
Rodeway Inn
Rodeway Inn
#1 of 3 in Whites City

Been to Super 8 Carlsbad? Share your experiences!