“Overpriced, but it's carlsbad”
Review of Super 8 Carlsbad

Super 8 Carlsbad
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Staff was friendly and room was clean. Breakfast was decent. There are no budget priced hotels in Carlsbad, only budget quality.

Room Tip: From the back of the motel you must use stairs to go down to the first floor or up to the second flo...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mikeandlindaSeattle

Reviewed March 12, 2012

Like the other reviewer, I was reluctant based on reviews but just needed a place to crash for 1 night. The room was clean, the front staff was pleasant. No complaints.

Room Tip: Stay on the east side to avoid adjacent construction and dust.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Renda07
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I was very reluctant to book online. But was literally the only option I had as no other vacancies were found. Exhausted from traveling w 3 children we booked to stay. Expecting the worst I walked in. It did not smell bad. Appeared pretty clean and the lady was nice. The bed was hard and no room for the pack and play. It was older cheaper hotel with older decor but sanitary. We stayed on the 3rd floor. Didn't eat breakfast there so can't attest to that one but overall not that bad. Most "cheap" hotels don't have shampoos and toothpaste and local brochures. This one did. However it was a little overpriced but spring break and no other vacancies in town - to be expected.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank WKids-3-
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Horrible experience!! Mice were seen in the room we were staying in on the 3rd floor and no apology by rude owner was given. Instead, he wanted to argue with me for checking out a day early claiming that I had two nights booked so I must pay for the 2nd night which I never stayed since the mice were seen on the first night in my room! I would NOT recommend to anyone!

Room Tip: I do not recommend Super 8 motel in Carlsbad, New Mexico!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Richard Y
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Although the office staff were polite and the price was competitive, this was a big disappointment. Our room and bathroom had not been thoroughly cleaned, light fixtures were broken, there was water on the floor in the bathroom, the waffle maker in the breakfast room was dirty with accumulated grease, the breakfast room itself had not been thoroughly cleaned, and there was a strange odor in the reception area. Unless you stay only for the price, we recommend considering other locations.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
1  Thank Rcihard
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I made a reservation for Christmas night, 2011. When arriving we were given a room that was simply not cleaned. Although the beds were made, the bathroom had body hair and dirt all over the sink. The pillows had blood stains and there were additional stains on the wall. We took pictures of the issues.

At that point we made a reservation for another hotel in town. We told the owner about the completely unsanitary condition of the room and he made excuses and offered another room. Obviously we didn't want another room in the hotel. The owner agreed to refund my credit card but never did. I am currently trying to resolve the issue with my credit card and Travelocity. I also filed a complaint with Super 8.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We found this place on Expedia and figured it was worth a shot - I have no problem with older properties as long as they're clean and safe. Too bad neither can be said for this place!

We checked in at the cave-like "lobby" which was weirdly situated and not at all labeled from the outside (it looks like you're entering a residential portion of the property instead of a proper front desk area). We were assigned room 322 and the owner, Uday, told us we could go in the back door after we parked. I noticed when we parked that the parking lot was surrounded by a fence topped with barbed wire, not a great sign.

At least the back door of the hotel had a key-card slot so only hotel guests can enter... or not. The door swings open without the benefit of a key card so anyone can sneak in the back, day or night. In our room I saw what appeared to be dirt on the ceiling. Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be dirt gathered in old cobwebs spun on the popcorn ceiling, with plenty of bug carcasses thrown in (moths, gnats, etc).

We got out of there with the quickness after discussing our concerns with an uncaring sour-faced woman at the front desk. We drove with haste to the Holiday Inn Express we had seen on the way into town, and the woman at the front desk here (where I am writing this review!) told us that we are the third guests this week to make a quick transition from the Super 8 to the Holiday Inn.

We booked our prepaid reservation on Expedia, so I addressed our issues with them. They were very nice and attempted to extract a refund from the hotel. The customer service guy at Expedia told me they spoke with Uday and that he assured them the property was safe and security was properly addressed. Hah! Expedia gave us a credit on our account, which is just fine by us. If I had thought about it, we may have stopped to take video of the non-functioning "security" door. But in all honesty, we just wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GSKorelys
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlsbad
U.S. Travelers Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn
Rodeway Inn
#1 of 3 in Whites City
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carlsbad

Been to Super 8 Carlsbad? Share your experiences!