“Unprofessional and Rude”
Review of Super 8 Carlsbad

Super 8 Carlsbad
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I will never ever try to do business again with the Super 8 in Carlsbad. I booked a room for the 22nd of December and wanted to check out the next day. On the 22nd there was a huge storm warning and I didn't want to get snowed into Carlsbad (I live in El Paso). So I called to cancel, explained my situation and wanted to book a room another time. They said I had to pay for the night's stay even though I couldn't come because they only give you 24 hours to cancel. Even when I said I would book another night, they still wanted me to pay for the night I wasn't even going to stay. I talked to corporate and they were wiling to work with me and not charge me, but this Super 8 refused to even consider not charging me the full night's price. I talked to a guy at the front desk who was extremely rude and blatantly lied to me. He said corporate wouldn't let him cancel the charge which was untrue. I told him I would never do business with his Super 8 again and he asked me if I was threatening him. Really??

Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 20, 2011

Hotel is clean. Hotel feels very old. If you are looking for a less expensive room stay at one of the motor courts for $40.00. That is the quality you get at the super 8 for $90.00. The hotel is run and managed by people from India. You can smell the cooking on the second floor.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Major highway construction in Carlsbad made moving around a bit of a challenge. We were just looking for a place to spend the night prior to visiting the National Park and the location was perfect for our purposes. The desk staff was friendly, the room was just fine and we enjoyed a private breakfast in the morning. Most of the guests seem to be involved in the construction work and they were on the job before we got around to breakfast. We would stay here again if we were to visit Carlsbad Caverns again in the future.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We read some not so nice revues about this place. Turns out, it was very good. Clean, no bad smells. Very fresh laundry. Decent breakfast (loose the Styrofoam dishes please). The price was less then listed. Closest to the caverns and nicely at the edge of town overlooking nature. Did I mention the spotless pool? I’d go back!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2011

The owner/clerk was a nice gentleman but the motel is old, worn out and has many negatives. Best part about the one-night stay was a good waffle breakfast. Breakfast is served in a second-floor room that was converted into a breakfast bar. The hotel carpet looks and smells dirty, signs on the fence in the parking lot warns about not leaving valuables in your car. The room door was loose even after it was shut. It's just an old, old motel that needs a lot of renovation. Should be $35 to $45 per night -- not $80 or up.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Pool was closed. It smelled bad...My daughter was congested by a few hours into the night due to something in the room.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We were kind of hard pressed to find a room and had to settle on this place. I would have been better off sleeping in the car. Outside looks ok but our room stunk bad, like industrial cleaning supplies trying to mask mildew odors. Although this was supposed to be non-smoking there was the ever present smell of someone puffing away. I would not recommend it. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlsbad
U.S. Travelers Inn & Suites
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#1 of 22 in Carlsbad
Hampton Inn & Suites Carlsbad

Been to Super 8 Carlsbad? Share your experiences!