WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of U.S. Travelers Inn & Suites

U.S. Travelers Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Carlsbad
Castle Rock, Colorado
“Reasonable price for a tourist trap area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

We chose this hotel to use as a base of operations while in the Carlsbad area. After our exhausting full day in the caverns it was a wonderful, quite place to get some shuteye.

The hotel no longer has a pool or Jacuzzi so that had to be taken into account, but looking at the numerous other hotels that were way overpriced or were built in the '40's we were happy to stay in a clean, updated hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Florence, KY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

I stayed at this hotel because a business associate said it wasn't bad. He was wrong. Arrived at hotel and was greeted by the desk clerk. Received my key and was told there is no pool, no hot tub, pretty much no amenities. Since I was on a short business trip, I was ok with that. Got to my room and UGG, not very nice. Very old furniture, carpet, lighting, you name it. I didn't want to unpack. I tried to turn on the TV, but had to ask the desk clerk. She informed me that I had to first turn on a light switch to make it work. The pop machine ate my money. Had to go to the desk clerk again to get reimbursed, which I did. I was able to cut my short business trip even shorter and got out of there. Never again will I stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: I don't believe there are any good rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ellsee74

Travelers are raving about these Carlsbad hotels

Carlsbad Caverns National Park, New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

The room was 170.00 a night. For that price you should reasonably expect a few amenities at least. NOPE! Hotel is multi-storied with NO ELEVATOR! Something you think they would have mentioned on line or at the time of booking. No. Just get there with your luggage and find out you have to huff up the stairs with bags in tow. Also web site shows pictures of a nice pool...don't believe it. The pool was closed and in fact in the process of being filled in!!!! What happened to truth in advertising? Also don't think you can walk barefoot in your 170.00 a night room. I did and found my feet sticking to the carpet. GROSS GROSS GROSS. And the bathroom was a dump. Please take heed and do not waste your money and subject your family to this hotel hell.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank pegcola
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

This is a nicer hotel than average. Nice rooms, great breakfast. Pool is not open. They don't have regular hbo! They have 2 hbo family channels but I couldn't watch game of thrones. Woman at front desk didn't seem to care about anything. You can tell that nothing will get past her.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Lafayette, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

We enjoyed our stay in Carlsbad at the U.S Travelers Inn. The staff at the hotel were friendly, and they made suggestions when asked. We would stay here again if in Carlsbad,
Our room was clean. The breakfast was nice. The location was convenient for us and what we wanted to do. The swimming pool was being remodeled which could be a problem for some people but we were not expecting to swim. Our biggest complaint about the area is finding somewhere decent to eat on Sunday evening in town, we found very limited choices if you didn't want fast food.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Norma F
Santa Fe, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

I usually end up staying here when traveling to Carlsbad because it's one of the only places that will take the government rate. Most of the hotels are really rude when I call and ask what their government rates are, but US Travelers Inn is very accommodating, which I appreciate. Rooms are a bit outdated (circa early 90s I think), but are clean and quiet. Internet is a bit spotty. Breakfast is cold except for waffle maker (no eggs, etc.). Overall, I'm just grateful to have a half-decent place to stay at the government rate.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

Rooms were hard to get in Carlsbad, New Mexico in April 2014. I thought myself lucky to get a room at this highly rated motel. Everything in the room was clean and well past its sale-date. The carpet was stained and worn. I wonder where they could get parts for the TV. That the furniture held together was a miracle. For forty or fifty dollars, I would rate this hotel a bargain, but at $100 or so, it's overpriced, except in Carlsbad where lodging are costly in this boomtown.

Room Tip: Reserve, if at all possible, well in advance of your arrival in Carlsbad. By the way, other than Car...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo