When I was trying to find lodging in Carlsbad, it was a little terrifying. The only hotels that had "good" ratings cost an arm and a leg and the reviews made all the rest sound like crumbling dirt heaps surrounded by crime and danger.
It was with trepidation that I booked two nights at the US Travelers Inn and Suites. It seemed like the best of a lot of bad choices.
I was traveling with two friends and when we arrived we were greeted by a friend desk receptionist. She offered some great dining advice (Had the best pulled pork sandwich of my life at Danny's Place!) and was ready and willing to help with anything we needed.
I suppose what I learned from this experience is that it's all about expectations and what you're expecting. I thought, in a town where the hotels cost WAY more than they are worth, this was a great choice. It was still more expensive than I would normally pay ($150 a night) but it was better than what the three "big guys" in town were charging ($250 a night). It was clean, quiet and I felt perfectly safe. It's a little older and the pool wasn't up and running, but I don't really care about that stuff. The bed was a little hard and the pillows kind of small, but it worked.
If you are looking for a "luxury" hotel, than you will probably be disappointed, but if you are looking for a place to stay in Carlsbad that isn't grimy and won't break the bank, this is an excellent option. It's on the edge of town, but it's easy to drive everywhere. (It took us about 40 minutes to drive to Carlsbad Caverns.)
Breakfast was simple, but fine. Mostly carbs. Like, I said, it's all about expectations. I was happy to find a clean hotel that provided a quiet place to stay while visiting the Caverns. I would recommend this place to anyone visiting Carlsbad and I would stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The US Travelers Inn and Suites is ideally located near some of New Mexico’s best features such as Carlsbad Caverns National Park, Living Desert State Park, Lake McMillan, Carlsbad Museum & Art Center and Brantley Lake State Park. This 100% non-smoking Magnuson Hotels affiliate offers guests a Continental breakfast served daily, free high-speed wireless internet access, free parking with room for large vehicles, indoor heated pool, hot tub, fax/copy service and exercise room. Unfortunately, pets are not accepted at this location. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your U.S. Travelers Inn & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- u.s. Travelers Inn And Suites
- u.s. Travelers Hotel Carlsbad
- Comfort Inn Carlsbad
- Carlsbad Comfort Inn