“Pleasantly surprised!”

U.S. Travelers Inn & Suites
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Carlsbad
“Pleasantly surprised!”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

When I was trying to find lodging in Carlsbad, it was a little terrifying. The only hotels that had "good" ratings cost an arm and a leg and the reviews made all the rest sound like crumbling dirt heaps surrounded by crime and danger.

It was with trepidation that I booked two nights at the US Travelers Inn and Suites. It seemed like the best of a lot of bad choices.

I was traveling with two friends and when we arrived we were greeted by a friend desk receptionist. She offered some great dining advice (Had the best pulled pork sandwich of my life at Danny's Place!) and was ready and willing to help with anything we needed.

I suppose what I learned from this experience is that it's all about expectations and what you're expecting. I thought, in a town where the hotels cost WAY more than they are worth, this was a great choice. It was still more expensive than I would normally pay ($150 a night) but it was better than what the three "big guys" in town were charging ($250 a night). It was clean, quiet and I felt perfectly safe. It's a little older and the pool wasn't up and running, but I don't really care about that stuff. The bed was a little hard and the pillows kind of small, but it worked.

If you are looking for a "luxury" hotel, than you will probably be disappointed, but if you are looking for a place to stay in Carlsbad that isn't grimy and won't break the bank, this is an excellent option. It's on the edge of town, but it's easy to drive everywhere. (It took us about 40 minutes to drive to Carlsbad Caverns.)

Breakfast was simple, but fine. Mostly carbs. Like, I said, it's all about expectations. I was happy to find a clean hotel that provided a quiet place to stay while visiting the Caverns. I would recommend this place to anyone visiting Carlsbad and I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Natsy42

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Burleson, Texas
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We were visiting family in Carlsbad and needed a place to stay. The choice of hotels in Carlsbad is very limited even with the oil boom and with the caverns being only a short drive away.
We have stayed in many hotels like this one. Old, outdated, some need of repair, subpair service etc, but usually they cost half what this hotel did per night. We stayed for 3 nights. The hotels in Carlsbad can charge what they want though, because of the limited choices. What are you going to do? Go sleep in the desert? Next time we just might... There are some campgrounds near by...
We showed up to the hotel late in the evening around 11:30pm having driven all the way from Fort Worth (around 7 hours). The front doors were locked and the lady at the front desk was on the phone as I could see through the window. I waited at the little glass partition overnight window for close to 10 minutes in the cold wind before she came over, opened the little speaking hatch and said No Vacancy! I told her that I had a reservation and showed her my printed receipt. She buzzed me inside, and took another 5 minutes or so to try and find it on her end in the computer system. She found it and gave us two card keys. We had to drive around the back of the building to park and walk through a cloud of smoke (oil field workers) to access the auxillary side door. Our room was right next to the room for the pool equipment for the indoor pool. I was a bit worried about this thinking we would be up all night with the constant drone of equipment, but we fell asleep soon. I found out in the morning why the equipment next door didn't keep us up. Upon walking to the breakfast area we walked right past the window to the room with the indoor pool. There was the pool coveried in dust and machines, with no water in it. I guess they were doing some repairs or something. Oh well, we didn't come to swim anyway. The breakfast was good, with the typical options for a continental breakfast, cereal, fruit, make-your-own-waffles, etc. (Since sometimes in Texas you'll see waffle makers that make a waffle in the shape of Texas, I wondered if they had New Mexico shaped waffle makers in New Mexico. Either they don't make them or New Mexicans aren't as proud of the shape of their state as Texans are, who knows? The waffles were just round).
The room was okay, but plain, nothing special. The room was in need of some repair and looked like it had been repaired before. The sinks and counters, instead of being replaced, have been coated over with something similar to a truck bed lining. The grout was dirty in several spots around the bathroom, and the shower curtain rod was just about ready to come away from the wall. The remote for the TV didn't work. The beds were comfortable.
The last night we were there, we came in with hands full of hot food and our key cards didn't work at the side door. I had to walk all the way around to the front door and then through the hotel to the side door to let my family in. We got to our room and our key cards didn't work there either. So I left my family standing there to walk up to the front desk. No one was there. I waited 5 minutes or so and a woman walked up and asked what I wanted. I told her that my keys didn't work anymore. She asked what room I was in and then made two new key cards for me. She said that they will deactivate if you have them in the same pocked as your cellphone... First of all, that would have been nice to know when I checked in, but the lady never mentioned it. Secondly, I had never put the cards in the same pocket as my cellphone, so how did they deactivate? Thirdly, and perhaps most shocking, the lady that reissued the cards didn't ask for any ID or verification that I was in the room I said I was, she just handed me two new keys. So apparently anyone can just walk up and say I need a new key to my room (or any room) without question. I wonder how many people are robbed each day while they are out? (I am locked out of my room... Which one? ..Whichever room is the precious gem merchant's room!)

Room Tip: If the pool is full and in working order, don't stay in room 120.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank logandiana

Travelers are raving about these Carlsbad hotels

Lafayette
Reviewed April 6, 2014

The oil industry is booming in this area and during the week every hotel in the area is booked solid. So of course, the hotels and their computer are taking advantage and gouging. Most of the nicer hotel chains are charging urban prices - over $200 a night for a basic highway hotel room. Not knowing this, I booked the US Travelers thinking for $140 I was getting a decent room. Wrong there.

The sheets, while clean, were obviously stained and the same sheet had a rip. Very rough inexpensive material, to make it worse.

You could easily hear the people in the next room
Parking was tight as some of the guests were driving trailers. One guy took over 4 spaces.
Wood door in bathroom heavily dinged.
Carpet had one big stain and overall did not seem clean, I put my shoes back on after showering.

Very small breakfast area, not enough seating for number of guests. But lady who ran it was very nice and kept it spotlessly clean.

The staff was great, the facility was pretty bad. I would not stay here again.

I understand "demand based" pricing but it is ridiculous for these prices the chain doesn't maintain the rooms better.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sharon D
Bellefontaine, Ohio
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We have been in better places but it got us thru the night. Water is hard--no suds! Could not control temp in room, finally just turned off. Very thin walls, could hear everything next door. Had to drive to restaurants since none close by. A reasonably good deal for the area.

Room Tip: Look first and check various necessary items
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dublin VA
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Most of the motels here are really in rough condition due to the influx of oil and gas workers. I'm not criticizing the workers at all, but the lifestyle by its very nature is rough on hotels when they account for most of the guests.
The Holiday Inn Express in Carlsbad is over $200/night, and the Fairfield is over $300.
I refuse to pay that for a room, so I put up with this place, as it is clean and the people friendly.
However, it is wearing down like the rest. The pool had a foot of scummy stagnant water in it, and the hot tub was empty this last trip and it was still over $95/night. The back entrance door, which has always required a room key to get into before, was unlocked the whole time I was there.
I wish someone would build a decent hotel here with rooms at a decent price.

Room Tip: There aren't any really "good" rooms.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank mccourt49
Midland, Texas
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This place saved us more than just money! We were booked into the only hotel available this weekend. When we got there, we were shocked. The US Travelers Inn was our 2nd call and the 1st with an open room. The staff was wonderful, friendly and went out of their way to make us comfortable! The rates were average for the area but our military discount lowered it more. My wife left her pillow there when we checked out but they contacted us to ask if we needed it. They held it for 8 hours until we were able to swing back by to get it!
We were happy with this place and it WILL be our 1st choice when we return.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Romad1983
Killeen, Texas
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

We encountered an issue with our hotel reservations upon arriving at 3am...so we had to find another room. When I contacted the US TRAVLERS INN & SUITES to check for vacancy I spoke to the night clerk LINDA(grey haired older lady with glasses). LINDA was the rudest person ever! When we arrived at the hotel my husband got off to get the room....it took a while to get us all booked. When he got back in the truck he shared with me his experience. When he handed her his ID she said that he couldn't use the address on his DL because it was local(my husband is in the Army). He told her ok and gave her our home address. He proceeded to ask if they honored a gov/mil discount and she said,"NO, who told you that?". He responded,"we called an 800 number the gentleman told us thos hotel honored it." He then told her we would need the room for two nights and she got angry stating that I had told her it was just for one. She then said, "You cant stay here for two nights! We are booked tomorrow. WHY DON'T YOU GO STAY AT THE HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS!" She also complained about processing payment!!!! SHE'S LUCKY I DIDN'T GET OFF...I would've put her in her place!!!! I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE!!! Rooms smelled, bathroom had mold and the pillows on the beds looked and felt like basketballs!!!! HORRIBLE! You can hear everything from the rooms above and next door!!!!

• Stayed February 2014