“Worst hotel ever....prejudice too!”

U.S. Travelers Inn & Suites
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed February 3, 2014

My family and I arrived at US Travelers Inn at 11:00pm. My husband who is black knocked on the window and the older white woman wouldn't let him into the office. She even made sure the door was locked. We had a reservation and she pretended to look for it and returned quickly say there was nothing there. I had just spoken with this woman on the phone confirming our reservation. As my husband tried working with her, she was very rude and was interested in assisting a drunk male (white). She even let him in the office and told my husband to wait outside. We told her we had our 4 kids in the car and we needed to a room. She consistently told us excuse after excuse. So we left and found a room at Days Inn. The manager there called the owner of the hotel and informed him of what happened and also provided us a discounted room. Later that night, this woman called Days Inn and said, she suddenly found our reservation. At that point, no thank you.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here!! You are better off elsewhere
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank rrockwell
There are newer reviews for U.S. Travelers Inn & Suites

Reviewed November 24, 2013

If you want to be ripped off for a hotel room, Carlsbad is your town. Just search Carlsbad hotels and you will see what I mean. This hotel was an adequate alternative to overpriced big chains. The pool was drained, so not usable although shown on their website. There is no elevator to the second floor. The internet was terrible, slow and intermittent. Don't count on it if you need it for business. The room was adequate however. We did not experience objectionable housekeeping as I see mentioned in other reviews during our stay. We only needed it for a place to sleep while visiting the National Parks during the day. In another city this hotel would probably be $60/night.

Room Tip: Second floor is less noisy but no elevator
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank centexsalesguy
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

This is the worst and most expensive hotel of our 12 night trip. Our room has definitely seen better days with a very worn out feel. This is not a chain hotel, but the only one of its kind. At the front desk, the owner said the internet was slow and has no security and was unapologetic about it. I would recommend that you stay elsewhere.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ardra345
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Last month in August I took a 8 day motorcycle trip across 4 other states and back into Louisiana... On my second night I had made reservations in Carlsbad, New Mexico at this particular hotel requesting a room on the first floor and a non smoking room... Not too much to ask for or so I thought... I arrived as scheduled and went to my "second floor room" and the room almost took my breath away as I walked in... Not in a good way, this room was the stinkyist room I honestly have ever stayed in... It reaked the cigarette smoke and musty air... I called the front desk and they claimed there were no vacancies and I had to stay in it... Just because of the nasty smell this room had, I will never stay at a Travelers Inn again, so I was out of there bright and early...

Room Tip: My tip to other travelers is to choose your hotel of stay wisely...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Gerald L
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was night 5 of 20 on a 20 day road trip. We were looking for a place between the Caverns and Living Desert. That it is. It is on a small wedge of land which is not easy to get to until you drive around the "block" a few times. We did the Trip Advisor and AAA ratings search. This was a surprise. We did get a ground floor room as agreed by phone when we reserved a month in advance. The room was clean. The furnishings were tired. The breakfast was tired. We will skip this one next time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FLTrav2
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Carlsbad really needs more competition for hotel pricing. They all charge way too much, but they get away with it because there aren't many alternatives. The U.S. Travelers Inn seemed like a decent compromise for us. We didn't want to risk spending too little, but we didn't want to spend $200 for one of the newer brand name places. As my title says, this place was adequate. The ladies at the front desk, both at check-in and check-out, were very friendly. The beds were comfortable enough, the TV worked, the AC worked, and the decor was decent. The bathroom was very dimly lit, as it only used the exhaust fan light. In most any other city, this is probably a $70-80 per night hotel. So while it is overpriced, I suppose it is about right for what hotels in Carlsbad are getting away with right now.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank shaunway
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This hotel is easy to find. Right across the road from the hospital. Looks good from the outside but leaves a lot to be said for it inside. No elevator so I had to lug my suitcase up a pretty good flight of stairs. The room is fair size with refrigerator and microwave and small table. But there was a funny smell in the whole place, even the rooms. Kind of a cross between that too damp smell and ajax cleanser. There is a good size indoor pool here that there were quite a few people using. I would not stay here again. It was definitely overpriced compared to other places I have stayed on this trip.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family