“A very worn out old Quality Inn with new outside paint”

U.S. Travelers Inn & Suites
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was night 5 of 20 on a 20 day road trip. We were looking for a place between the Caverns and Living Desert. That it is. It is on a small wedge of land which is not easy to get to until you drive around the "block" a few times. We did the Trip Advisor and AAA ratings search. This was a surprise. We did get a ground floor room as agreed by phone when we reserved a month in advance. The room was clean. The furnishings were tired. The breakfast was tired. We will skip this one next time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FLTrav2
There are newer reviews for U.S. Travelers Inn & Suites

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Carlsbad really needs more competition for hotel pricing. They all charge way too much, but they get away with it because there aren't many alternatives. The U.S. Travelers Inn seemed like a decent compromise for us. We didn't want to risk spending too little, but we didn't want to spend $200 for one of the newer brand name places. As my title says, this place was adequate. The ladies at the front desk, both at check-in and check-out, were very friendly. The beds were comfortable enough, the TV worked, the AC worked, and the decor was decent. The bathroom was very dimly lit, as it only used the exhaust fan light. In most any other city, this is probably a $70-80 per night hotel. So while it is overpriced, I suppose it is about right for what hotels in Carlsbad are getting away with right now.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank shaunway
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This hotel is easy to find. Right across the road from the hospital. Looks good from the outside but leaves a lot to be said for it inside. No elevator so I had to lug my suitcase up a pretty good flight of stairs. The room is fair size with refrigerator and microwave and small table. But there was a funny smell in the whole place, even the rooms. Kind of a cross between that too damp smell and ajax cleanser. There is a good size indoor pool here that there were quite a few people using. I would not stay here again. It was definitely overpriced compared to other places I have stayed on this trip.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Leelorisc
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Found this hotel through Expedia. The hotel appeared to look nice in photos. The price was cheaper than higher end hotel chains. So we booked it.

When we arrived, it was lucky we just got done driving 15 hours, because I am not sure we would have been able to fall asleep in the hotel room if we were not dead tired. The rooms were not as nice as they appeared in the pictures, questionable bedding, leaking faucet, strange odor through the room. Also, no elevators for those with heavy luggage. Breakfast was okay. No hot food, other than a waffle maker.

While we were able to sleep there, I would highly recommend paying more and staying in a nicer place.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Anm504
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

This hotel offered exactly what we needed: fridge, microwave, wireless and free breakfast. While other hotels in town may offer some or even all these amenities, the US Travelers Inn was cleaner than the smaller motels in town and less expensive than the Fairfield Inn. A good deal all around. We booked this hotel over the phone because they offer better rates than through travel web sites. The lady that maintains the continental breakfast on weekdays did a great job keeping everything well-stocked and cleaned tables between guests. She was great and deserves a raise. The hot tub was warm like 95deg but not really hot (still enjoyable), and the hallways did have kind of an older smell to them despite contemporary decor. The room was nice and the bed comfortable. Lastly, if you're coming from the north, it's the 1st hotel that you see coming into town, so it's a relief after a long day of driving (40 min drive to the Caverns).

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Loren928
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We are here on business and all other hotels are full. The pictures online do not look ANYTHING like the rooms. First room had wall coming apart with screws out. Moved rooms because we have 2 kids. Second room look feel off the door. The lady was bringing me other keys and I showed her the keys and she told me to tell my daughter to get her shoes because we ate not going to be able to stay here. I told her I was going to inform the manager of how horrible these rooms are and I was told she was the manager. Now she just called or room to tell us they will take an extra $10 off and we can stay! Ha this place is a joke.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank karasntx
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed there 2 nights and was very happy with the hotel and its location. The rooms were nice, quiet, and clean, with comfortable beds and pillows as well as 2 desk chairs and a flatscreen TV. The free WiFi worked without a glitch. The pool was one of the nicest hotel pools I've ever seen; small, but clean, with lots of windows and skylights. The temperature was just right. The hot tub was not working, but since I had not been planning to use it anyway, it didn't bother me.
I enjoyed the breakfast very much - waffles, oatmeal, fruit, toast, yogurt, etc. in a comfortable little breakfast room. When my friend mentioned that he wished they had plain bagels instead of the flavored ones, the lady in charge of the breakfast got him a plain one right away.
The location is very good, on the north side of town where there is little traffic. Shopping centers, restaurants, and even a movie theater are closeby, and the hospital right across the street.
The only problem was housekeeping; the room did not get made. We actually saw the teenage cleaning girls as we left the room; they were busy gossipping ("She said...") around the cart. I was going to tell them they could clean the room, but they did not even look at us, let alone say good morning. After we got back and complained, we were told that the "Do not disturb" sign was up when they checked twice, and that another guest probably put up the sign as a joke. Nice theory, except the towels got picked up and the AC turned on. So, some prankster put up the sign right after we left while the girls were right outside, took it back down before the laundry people came in, and put it back up when housekeeping checked again, then took it down before we got back. Not likely. This is the first time I did not leave any tip in a hotel room, and I've stayed in many. No work, no money.
The afternoon desk clerk, Ben, was really nice, though; he got us extra towels and shampoo right away, and he asked if we needed anything else. We did get several apologies.
I would definitely stay here again; this time, I would make sure to tell the desk clerk that the room is ready to be made before cleaning.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends