“So so place to stay”

U.S. Travelers Inn & Suites
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This hotel is easy to find. Right across the road from the hospital. Looks good from the outside but leaves a lot to be said for it inside. No elevator so I had to lug my suitcase up a pretty good flight of stairs. The room is fair size with refrigerator and microwave and small table. But there was a funny smell in the whole place, even the rooms. Kind of a cross between that too damp smell and ajax cleanser. There is a good size indoor pool here that there were quite a few people using. I would not stay here again. It was definitely overpriced compared to other places I have stayed on this trip.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Leelorisc

Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Found this hotel through Expedia. The hotel appeared to look nice in photos. The price was cheaper than higher end hotel chains. So we booked it.

When we arrived, it was lucky we just got done driving 15 hours, because I am not sure we would have been able to fall asleep in the hotel room if we were not dead tired. The rooms were not as nice as they appeared in the pictures, questionable bedding, leaking faucet, strange odor through the room. Also, no elevators for those with heavy luggage. Breakfast was okay. No hot food, other than a waffle maker.

While we were able to sleep there, I would highly recommend paying more and staying in a nicer place.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Anm504
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

This hotel offered exactly what we needed: fridge, microwave, wireless and free breakfast. While other hotels in town may offer some or even all these amenities, the US Travelers Inn was cleaner than the smaller motels in town and less expensive than the Fairfield Inn. A good deal all around. We booked this hotel over the phone because they offer better rates than through travel web sites. The lady that maintains the continental breakfast on weekdays did a great job keeping everything well-stocked and cleaned tables between guests. She was great and deserves a raise. The hot tub was warm like 95deg but not really hot (still enjoyable), and the hallways did have kind of an older smell to them despite contemporary decor. The room was nice and the bed comfortable. Lastly, if you're coming from the north, it's the 1st hotel that you see coming into town, so it's a relief after a long day of driving (40 min drive to the Caverns).

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Loren928
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We are here on business and all other hotels are full. The pictures online do not look ANYTHING like the rooms. First room had wall coming apart with screws out. Moved rooms because we have 2 kids. Second room look feel off the door. The lady was bringing me other keys and I showed her the keys and she told me to tell my daughter to get her shoes because we ate not going to be able to stay here. I told her I was going to inform the manager of how horrible these rooms are and I was told she was the manager. Now she just called or room to tell us they will take an extra $10 off and we can stay! Ha this place is a joke.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank karasntx
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed there 2 nights and was very happy with the hotel and its location. The rooms were nice, quiet, and clean, with comfortable beds and pillows as well as 2 desk chairs and a flatscreen TV. The free WiFi worked without a glitch. The pool was one of the nicest hotel pools I've ever seen; small, but clean, with lots of windows and skylights. The temperature was just right. The hot tub was not working, but since I had not been planning to use it anyway, it didn't bother me.
I enjoyed the breakfast very much - waffles, oatmeal, fruit, toast, yogurt, etc. in a comfortable little breakfast room. When my friend mentioned that he wished they had plain bagels instead of the flavored ones, the lady in charge of the breakfast got him a plain one right away.
The location is very good, on the north side of town where there is little traffic. Shopping centers, restaurants, and even a movie theater are closeby, and the hospital right across the street.
The only problem was housekeeping; the room did not get made. We actually saw the teenage cleaning girls as we left the room; they were busy gossipping ("She said...") around the cart. I was going to tell them they could clean the room, but they did not even look at us, let alone say good morning. After we got back and complained, we were told that the "Do not disturb" sign was up when they checked twice, and that another guest probably put up the sign as a joke. Nice theory, except the towels got picked up and the AC turned on. So, some prankster put up the sign right after we left while the girls were right outside, took it back down before the laundry people came in, and put it back up when housekeeping checked again, then took it down before we got back. Not likely. This is the first time I did not leave any tip in a hotel room, and I've stayed in many. No work, no money.
The afternoon desk clerk, Ben, was really nice, though; he got us extra towels and shampoo right away, and he asked if we needed anything else. We did get several apologies.
I would definitely stay here again; this time, I would make sure to tell the desk clerk that the room is ready to be made before cleaning.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Suby88
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This is one of the more affordably priced hotels in Carlsbad, NM. It is clean, comfortable beds, nice breakfast buffet and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. It is a little through town from the Caverns so don't give up finding it. On a Friday night, most restaurants close at 9:00 so be aware of that.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gail050
Reviewed April 30, 2013

OK, so a small portion of my problem with this hotel wasn't *technically* their fault. My hotels.com reservation said that my Standard Queen Room came with a jacuzzi tub. It did not. Even though this was the entire reason that I booked this hotel, as my boyfriend and I had just completed a 5k obstacle course in Albuquerque before driving five hours to Carlsbad, I could look past this problem. I could look past this problem because the hotel also had a hot tub by their indoor pool. Or so was advertised. As had a heated indoor pool. That hot tub has not been functioning for weeks, months probably, and I'd hate to have dipped my toe in the pool water BEFORE it was heated if that was what they were considering a heated pool. At this point, we had had it. We went to the front desk to complain, and although the guy at the front desk had managed to change from his Patriots jersey to a Broncos jersey (in April), he wanted no part of dealing with our problem. We were told that we could come talk to someone at 6 am the day of our checkout to see about moving into one of the empty suites (with a jacuzzi tub) across the hall from our room. Also, I understand that a lot of people get up really early when they're on a trip. However, my boyfriend and I are not those people. We set an alarm to get down to breakfast before the 9 o'clock cutoff time. I figured that if there was a 9 o'clock end time to a breakfast, it would probably be staffed with someone making waffles or something. Not the case. When I arrived, sleepy-eyed, at 8:45, I was welcomed with a full trash can, rubbermaid containers filled with ice water to hold the yogurt and gallon jugs of milk, old, store bought pastries, and a choice of 3 cereals. Given the rest of our trip, I doubt we will return to Carlsbad in general, but if we do decide to go back to the Caverns, Zoo, or Riverwalk, we will stay somewhere else...probably a place with a kitchen, as apparently none of the restaurants know how to take a food order or provide service, either.

Room Tip: Just stay somewhere else. Try to get a room at the Marriott or the Trinity.