“disgusting-DON'T STAY HERE NO MATTER WHAT!”

Great Western Inn & Suites
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Carlsbad
Vernal, Utah, United States
“disgusting-DON'T STAY HERE NO MATTER WHAT!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We were driving a long way home and decided to stay here to see the Caverns on the way back to Utah. We opened the door and immediately thought it was a waste of $ for $85! We started to drive to the Caverns and turned around to come back and ask for a refund. We had only been checked in almost an hour. They said that they would not give a refund since we had been checked in too long. I called Booking.com for help, was on hold for 15 minutes while she talked to the front desk. They told her no refunds and they didn't care about our distaste with the room.
This place is totally disgusting and we won't even take our shoes off in the room. As soon as we wake up we are out of here. This has been a very crappy end to our family vacation!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Marie K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Deming
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We arrived at the Motel on Friday, May 24, 2013, the check-in was pleasant and our room was lovely. It was very clean compared to alot of hotels or motels I have stayed at. The price was comparable to other rooms available in the Carlsbad location, I believe it was even cheaper then some that did not look as nice when we drove by. We stayed Friday and Saturday nights. On Saturday we asked that our lamp be replaced since it was not working and the request was handled quickly and effeciently. The pool and jacuzzi were great fun. The breakfast was an appropriate continental breafast and we enjoyed this immensely. We also had no problems connecting to the internet.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
minnesota
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This hotel was dirty, shabby, and overpriced for what you got. The tops of the furniture were full of heavy dust. one of the dresser drawers was held together with duct tape.The curtains were ripped. The breakfast consists of some items wrapped in plastic that look like they were bought at a gas station.
The staff was not helpful in any way. When asked about good places to eat, the just handed me a flyer from the desk, and then said they didn't know if it was good or not. They seemed irritated when asked anything.
I would not recommend this hotel, and would not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mahinegammy

Travelers are raving about these Carlsbad hotels

Sanford, Colorado, United States
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We read the reviews and were very weary about staying here. However, we decided to give it a try. The room was older. However, as we checked in, the gentleman at the front desk was very cordial and polite to us. He was very helpful any time that we needed anything. Our room was very clean and orderly. The room really was fine. Had no problems with it. The only problem that we had is that the kids wanted to do a lot of swimming in the indoor "HEATED" pool. It was ice cold. After talking to the front desk, they told me that the ignition device for the heater had gone out and they were trying to get someone out to look at it. Just a hard time of year for them to get service (Not really warm enough for swimming season). You know, these things happen. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Worked with us well to put us in connecting rooms after we arrived.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband thought it was the Best Western Hotel,which turned out to be an typical cheap scale
Indian Motel. They charged us over 80 dollars.The room was very shabby and dirty. Internet was broken for the day and they don't have time to fix it,later I read other reviews about the internet seems broken year round. The continental breakfast was a joke. spoiled milk & $1 worth Tampico Juice...TOTAL RIP-OFF AND DISAPPOINTMENT

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa M
Farmerville, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed December 31, 2012

After reading reviews online I was scared to book this room,but my daughter had gotten a puppy for Christmas so we needed a room with pets allowed! 10$ charge per pet per night,that's much better than the other in that city for 25-50$ a pet a night.
Our room was clean (window edge was very dusty) room was very out of date,but bed was soft & warm,bathroom was very dated but clean! We even used the indoor pool- it was freezing outside but the pool was heated and cleaned- I liked it being a salt water pool. We didn't use the hot tub it was full of teenage boys. The motel is in a good location! Gas was cheaper here 2.99 at walmart - go eat at Happy's they have ginormous hamburgers awesome old fashion milkshakes. We will stay here again if in the area!!! Oh yeah,tv was updated flat screen nice! Internet was fast worked great for our iPads&itouch.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Amber T
Singapore
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Let's get the bad stuff out of the way:
- the room is old, and furniture looks ancient. There's a microwave and fridge, and my partner said that the microwave is considered an antique - i'm not familiar with the history of microwaves, so i cannot comment, but you get the general idea.
- The breakfast is meager. When i say meager, i mean that there is a poor selection of flour products (bread and bagels only?), some cornflakes, and milk and orange juice is provided. I wouldn't say that you would look forward to their breakfast at all.

I'm not sure if there's any good, but
- this is your standard run-of-the-mill motel facility, and if you are just checking in for a night, i would say it's value for money. I have tried to find other accommodation in the area, and i think this is the cheapest, if not the cheapest, in the area. Totally live-able.
- there is a huge Samsung TV, which really goes against the mood of the place. It looks new, it's like 52" or something. We did not use it, so i can't comment on the channel selection.
- the internet is fast. I had no problem connecting to it via my handphone and tablet, but my laptop couldn't get a valid IP on it. I can understand if some people complain about the internet not working, cause i tried all kinds of stuff, and my laptop still could not connect.
No sweat though, i tether my cellphone's connection to it in the end, but it's still puzzling.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple