“Really liked the Days Inn, Carlsbad”
Review of Days Inn Carlsbad

Days Inn Carlsbad
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed October 27, 2008

We went to New Mexico to see Carlsbad Caverns and to hike Guadalupe Peak (in Guadalupe Mountains National Park). I had a hard time finding good information on trip advisor and that is why I am posting this information for you...! If you need a hotel close to the caverns or the guadalupe mountains, I highly recommend this Days Inn. It is located on the south side of Carlsbad (a shorter commute) and if you hike for 8 hours, like we did, the hot tub at this Days Inn (while not super new and modern) really feels great. There was also an indoor pool but given we were there in October, we didn't use the pool. There is also a soda machine, the exterior of the building looks colorful and freshly painted and there is a computer with internet in the lobby (for checking weather, etc.). I also saw a sign for 'guest laundry' but I didn't inquire further. They also have a really good Continental breakfast (free) with apples, cereal, muffins, bagels, etc. (again great fuel for hiking or a long day outside). The front desk service was decent.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Days Inn Carlsbad

Reviewed October 19, 2008

We stayed here in early October. We got here late night after visitng the caverns. Our room was held for us as we had made reservations. We were on the second floor and there are no elevators. There is a laundry room. Room was clean. Sheets weren't as white as they could have been but no complaints. When you are in the middle of nowhere it seems that this was a pretty decent hotel. We didnt' venture into town except for gas as this hotel is the first one you come to when coming from the caverns. The town didn't seem to big from what we saw..Remember to go for gas because there are no gas stations from here to El Paso.
If it's just for a place to stay while visitng the caverns it sure seemed to beat the motels we saw in White Sands. Thank you Trip Advisor readers for the terrible reviews of those hotels. Luckily I drove the little ways to a decent hotel. Well worth the drive from what I saw on the outside of those hotels. Looked like a ghost town.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2008

So we had our cat with us, and had booked this hotel because it accepted pets, and we wanted to head to the caverns, and it was about 12:50 to a 1pm check-in time. She couldn't get us in, claimed that not even one room was ready (because I asked her just that), and it would be about an hour...fine. Found things to do and walked the cat. Get back to check-in and find out that they only put pets in the smoking rooms. I almost walked out right there but decided to go for it, sometimes the rooms don't smell so bad. Well it wasn't that bad, but the beds were so rock hard and I could feel the springs in mine, and the towels were almost transparent. Was told breakfast was from 6am-10am, so right at 6am (had a really long drive ahead of us) we tried to enter the lobby. The morning desk girl was sitting on the public internet computer and motioned us over to the early check-out window, through the lobby doors. I shook my head and made a sort of eating-motion, and she shook her head, looked at the clock, and held up her hands to say 10 more minutes. I looked at the clock in the lobby - it was 6 on the dot and I could see food laid out in the buffet area. Where did she go after that? Back to the internet computer...okay...We left and got breakfast elsewhere. This was one of the most whacked hotels I've stayed at.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed July 22, 2008

We stayed here for 3 nights this month (07/08). It is still a acceptable Days Inn, but it will go downhill quickly from here on. In a few more years this place will be a dump. The room was nice-sized and mostly clean. The sheets were all wrinkly and starting to look gray, but I think they were clean. The towels were thin, thin, thin and came in shades from medium gray to dark gray. The towel rack by the sink fell off the wall while we stayed there. I did not get fixed. The towel rack in the bathroom hang loosely on 2 screws waiting to fall off. The safety latch on the door was broken and unusable.

We were there during several thunderstorms and noticed that half of the rain cutters were missing (broken off) and everything got trenched. The light post around the parking lot were either not working at all, or the light bulbs needed to be replaced.

We had good working Internet in our room. The breakfast room was OK and so was the breakfast - normal Days Inn breakfast consisting of a nice assortment of prepackaged cereal, muffins, bagels and waffle makers.

It's a shame because the place is not very old and someone build a nice Days Inn. I am sure that the ownership changed in the last few years and the new owners just run it down.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2008

Our stay was good...clean, comfortable, quiet room. My only complaint was that the free WiFi wasn't working. We ate at Denny's instead of the continental breakfast. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2008

We spent 2 nights at this motel last Sept. Although the room had a slightly deoderized smell it was a huge improvement from the Best Western Cavern Inn where we had spent the previous night. I recall that the room was a decent size, the bed was comfortable, the tub was clean, the shower head had numerous settings, there was plenty of light in the shower for shaving, and the free continental breakfast was adequate. The location was very convenient; the motel is one of the closest to the Caverns (about a 35 min drive and away from the local traffic in Carlsbad.) In the busy summer months I imagine this might be especially advantageous. It is only a mile or 2 in the other direction to the center of Calsbad for restaurants. For a standard motel room the Days Inn worked out fine for us.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2008

This is a basic hotel which served our purposes quite well when we visited Carlsbad Caverns and Guadalupe Mountains National Parks. The hotel was fairly clean, but we did discover that our sheets appeared to be dirty. Hotel Management came and changed our sheets. The continental breakfast was fairly basic. We never used the pool which was overrun with kids. We image that this hotel is overrun in the summertime with folks going to Carlsbad caverns and this hotels does show a bit of wear and tear. The best thing this hotel has going for it is its location. It's one of the hotels closet to Carlsbad caverns. If I ever went to Carlsbad caverns again, I would probably stay here again. I would not pick a hotel on the other side of Carlsbad.

Stayed: March 2008