“Nice hotel for those traveling thru”
Review of Stevens Inn

Stevens Inn
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed December 28, 2007

Booked the room at the last minute as we were traveling through. The room was no smoking but smelled like it had only recently changed to that designation. Rooms were very large. Internet was extremely slow. The shower/toilet area was not ventilated so you had to rely on the steam to warm up that area. The free breakfast was nice.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank Brigitt H
There are newer reviews for Stevens Inn

Reviewed December 7, 2007

I echo other suggestions - make sure you ask for a room in the NEW section - much better than the OLD section. My room was fine - clean, good size.

Location is right in the middle of town.

Buffet breakfast was the worst I've ever had - cold runny eggs, cold fatty bacon, cold potatos. If you have a fridge in your room, skip the buffet and just keep some milk & cereal in your room. Better yet - go to the Blue House Bakery- great coffee, muffins, danish, and pastries.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank tndancer
Reviewed October 23, 2007

I was not impressed at all with this hotel. The reasons may be the unidentifiable stain on the sheets or maybe the mold that was on the shower ceiling. This is supposed to be the nicest hotel in Carlsbad, but I'm glad to see there are more choices moving into town so maybe the hotel will raise its standards because right now they are far below satisfactory.

Stayed: April 2006
1  Thank wildfire88_88
Reviewed August 23, 2007

We have rather mixed feelings about this hotel. It has it's plusses and minuses. The pluses are the restaurant, size of rooms and location. The restaurant is quite good food, which is where we ate for dinner. It actually is in direct conflict with the rest of the hotel because the restaurant is really nice, but the hotel really isn't all that nice, so it's kinda weird. The breakfast was just okay and is held in another dining room. The rooms are huge but I felt like I stepped into the Brady Bunch set. They were so outdated and shabby. There was even a back door which was weird and, quite frankly, creeped me out. We were given a room right by the pool which we thought was cool...until we heard the enormous roucuss coming from it. And it lasted until late into the evening. Very loud teenagers crammed into the pool and never seemed to leave. We soon regretted getting so close. There was also a really nice laundry facility on the property right by the pool as well. We found it to be close enough to Carlsbad which is why we stayed here. The town this hotel is in is rather shabby as well...very industrial feeling and quite depressing actually. The other plus is that they have a computer in the lobby with a printer attached for guests to use. This was quite helpful to us and there was no charge to print which was a bonus. If you're looking for a hotel whose rooms are very spacious but don't mind outdated and run-down, then you'll like this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank plattapus
Reviewed August 17, 2007

Hotel staff was very nice. We got into town earlier than check-in time and they were really nice about holding on to our laptops and other electronics while we headed on over to Carlsbad for the late afternoon and evening. We requested a room in the new section. Room was fine and it was clean. The two double beds each had 2 very lumpy pillows (stuffed with old pantyhose?). We requested 2 more pillow but they didn't have any extras available. The breakfast buffet was the most elaborate free breakfast we have found anywhere else on our road trip which at this point has included about 8 other hotels. Big bargain at about $75 for the night.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank jentx
Reviewed August 13, 2007

We stayed at the Stevens Inn three nights in August 2007. This motel is built around a big parking lot and the exteriors are ugly and grimy looking on the outside. The interiors are more attractive, typical Bestwestern with a coffeemaker and recently redecorated. There was a spacious double sink dressing area witha tile floor The towels and toilet paper were rough and more like Motel 6 quality than Bestwestern. The lobby is large and capacious and decorated attractively in a Southwestern style. The free hot cooked buffet breakfast is good and available until 9 a.m. The dining room is decorated out of the 70s but the food is not bad for Carlsbad. My dinner was good though my vegetarian brother was annoyed he got bacon in his soup after he was promised no meat. The service was what bothered us.
We had three rooms for our family visiting Carlsbad Caverns. I called in advance a week before our arrival, after I made our reservation months ago, to make sure we had three rooms together on the ground floor, as some of our group had mobility problems and we had small children. The woman on the phone was very nice and helpful and I was encouraged. Then we arrived to discover we had three rooms together but on the SECOND floor, up a flight of stairs! And the desk clerk did not seem in the least concerned that this was a problem for us. His attitude basically was, sorry, too bad. This is not the type of attitude you generally find among people in this region, usually they are very nice and friendly. I got annoyed because this is a huge sprawling motel of like 90 rooms and I knew they had rooms on teh ground floor. Finally after I had a snit, he managed to find us three rooms together on the first floor. Though my brother didn't want his as it stank of smoke, so he ended up staying on the second floor in another wing, which was sad because we really wanted to be together. The next day, we came back from hiking at 3:30 p.m., tired, to find our rooms had not yet been cleaned. I spoke to the maid and just took clean towels because I was too tired to wait and I wanted to nap. She told me to ask the front desk for an early cleaning the following days. The next day, I stopped at the desk and asked very politely that our rooms be cleaned earlly. The woman started giving me a hassle about it! And told me "they had until 4 p.m. to clean our rooms." Really I was aghast she was so curt, for no apparent reason.I finally snapped, "Well, we just need them cleaned earlly anyway." And they were. Our kids liked the smallish pool which was always jammed with children. I wished there was some shade there, not even a patio umbrella by the pool. Also, no spa. Every day, the ice machines were totally empty by 9:30 a.m. so if you stay here and need ice, get it early! In retrospect, I probably would have stayed at the Motel 6, it would have been half the cost and the service would probably have been as good. Down the street, btw, is the Bamboo Garden Chinese buffet, it was very good and inexpensive. Don't mistake it for the other Chinese buffet. We also liked Rojas Mexican restaurant which was recommended by the front desk clerk, the one who was NICE. The caverns were awesome we loved our visit! Go visit! Next time though I might try the Ocotillo Inn down the street.

• Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank marlajfish
Reviewed August 12, 2007

This place was awful! Not very clean room reeking of cigarette smoke. Staff didn't know what they were doing. Room keys didn't work, towels in the condition of dish rags. And to top it all off: a big green fly in the salad dressing at the hotel's restaurant salad bar. Never again we will stay at the Best Western anywhere!.