“Excellent Choice for Hospitality”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carlsbad
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Our recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Carlsbad was by far exceptional.
The front desk staff, the house keeping crew, the really nice breakfast attendant, were all
very friendly, said good morning, good day and asked if we needed any help finding anything around town. They have excellent recommendations for lunch and dinner. The hotel was very clean, our room was very clean and it was just a really nice place to stay. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
HIExpress88220, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carlsbad, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Dear Peggy S,

Thank you so much for staying with us on your recent travel. I would like to give you a big THANK YOU for all of your kind words, I will definitely forward your words to all of our staff. We strive for excellance and looks like we hit it on the spot with you. We hope to see you again, and thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and for your kind words. If you have any further comments please feel free to contact us direct at 575-234-1252.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

The room was standard HIE but the hair dryer did not work and could not get the heat to cycle on automatic. So one had heat all the time unless you manually turned it off. Breakfast was okay with plenty of food and a clean dining area. Staff was uncertain about places to recommend to eat-maybe because there did not seem to be much choice except fast food. The hotel room price seemed to be steep for February.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Mrjack37
HIExpress88220, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carlsbad, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear Mrjack37,

Thank you so much for staying with us while visiting Carlsbad. We greatly appreciate you taking the time out of your day to give us your feedback. I do apologize for the problems you had the hairdryer and heating unit, I have forwarded your concerns to my maintanence departments so they can get that looked at and fixed. Our breakfast is a great start to your day, and I'm glad my staff attempted to help you with dining options, and you are correct, we do not have many options besides fast food. We do hope in the upcoming year that will change as our town is expanding due to the gas and oil industry, however, the gas and oil industry is why the prices are a bit steep here. Again, thank you so much for giving us your business and feedback, if you have any other concerns or comments please feel free to contact us direct at 575-234-1252.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Hotel was very clean and the staff was extremely nice and helpful when giving directions, suggestions on places to eat, etc. The hotel seemed to be filled with oil crew, and unfortunately a couple of them were loud and drinking. Fresh breakfast and the hotel was located next to shops, restaurants and a movie theater.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jardindemichelle
HIExpress88220, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carlsbad, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Jardindemichelle,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent travels, we greatly appreciate your business. We strive for excellence so I am happy to hear that our staff did a great job. I do apologize for the noise level and behavior of the other guest staying. Thank you so much for your feedback, it truly gives us a honest look at the areas that we need to improve in. If you have any further comments or suggestions please feel free to contact us.

Hotel Management

Reviewed November 28, 2013

I have never been so insulted by front desk managers ever. I travel with a soccer team monthly and this hotel is a nightmare. Both front desk managers were rude and insulting to me and all the incoming guests before me. I hoped after being placed in hold for 15 min to make reservations that things would be better once we checked in. Every aspect has been a nightmare.
If you ask for a roll away you must get 100% guarantee or they won't reserve one for you.
The reservation manager was so sweet and actually had a smile on her face unlike the two unhappy front desk managers who should be fired.
We have over 15 rooms we reserve out of town two to three times a month. There are better manored front desk managers in Oakland, ca after a raiders game with drunks checking in.
We also were never provided bedding for pull out bed and didn't have a roll away for my son to sleep on.
Biggest rip off ever!!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Marieamyfortune
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carlsbad, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear Marieamyfortune,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Please accept our apologies for the service you experienced with our Front Desk Managers. The incidents you described are not a common occurrence at our hotel. We will be addressing the matters with the respective departments in order to avoid these unnecessary issues in the future. We regret the requested roll-away bed was not available on your arrival. We do our best to honor every request, unfortunately, this is not always possible. We hope this experience will not deter you from giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Myrna M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed October 30, 2013

This was a one night stop along our cross country motorcycle trip. Desk staff at check in was unorganized and a bit scattered, but they were friendly. Hotel is very nice with a comfortable clean lobby. Our room was excellent in every way. The pillows were king size with two soft and two firm to choose from. The bed was the most comfortable I had slept on in the past 20 nights on the road. I didn't want to get up in the morning! The room and bathroom were large and spotless. The TV was a very large LCD with a large selection of channels. Breakfast was the only negative here. There were no eggs at all, the juices were all watered down, no flavor at all, the bacon was cold and greasy. Otherwise this is a wonderful hotel and we would gladly stay again and just go elsewhere for breakfast.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

I use IHG primarily for my business travel. I am a Platinum Elite member. I hope before clicking to book you examine this hotel's rates! With my government discount I usually average between $79-109/night pretty much anywhere in the world. 2 days prior I paid 70£ at a 5 star full service Holiday Inn in London!! These morons are charging, and getting, up to $284/night!!! Now prepare yourself. I spoke to management. The response: there's an oil boom in this town - gotta charge as much as we can. What!!!?? Called/wrote IHG corporate. Pretty much a joke. If you do happen to accidentally land at this misfit in the chain, and actually if you are even able to park! (lot FULL of oversized oil field trucks - obviously company paid stays), strongly suggest you drive on to next town. In El Paso you can get a 1 bedroom suite with kitchen for a whole week at any of the well know extended stays for LESS that these idiots charge per night!
Very RESENTFUL and rethinking my loyalty to IHG. Nothing less than GOUGING. And be careful, the Hilton and Marriott properties have followed their lead...

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank Joe M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carlsbad, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Joe M ,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay. I trust we can regain your confidence in our products and services.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed at the Carlsbad Holiday Inn Express on October 22nd. Six years ago we visited this area and because of all the bad motel reviews stayed in Artesia rather than Carlsbad. We were happy on this trip to find a new modern, clean and friendly hotel. We got a good rate.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple