“Simply Incredible!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carlsbad
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed April 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed in room 325 which is a double queen room. The room was very nicely sized, clean and well lit. The air conditioner worked fantastically when we needed it; though it ran in mostly fan mode over night because of the chill air here in mid April.

The internet connection was wireless and blazing fast with a 5/5 bar signal in our room, a gamers delight.

The staff was very accommodating and kind; we had to ask for a few items at the front desk (salt and pepper, after breakfast hours, and a few garbage bags for holding some ice) and they went and got them for us without even a second thought!

The breakfast spread was very nice as well. My wife has a gluten allergy and was able to enjoy the eggs they made every morning. There were cinnamon swirl muffins that were so delicious. The drink selection was very good too; tea, coffies (like six different kinds), milk, four different juices...the mango was our favorite. They leave the hot water dispenser going all day for you, which is nice because if you want a cup of tea later on, you can easily get it.

We went into the hot tub and the pool as well. They are both very nicely maintained which made our use of them thoroughly enjoyable. It is a swim at your own risk pool; no lifeguard or camera in there monitoring the area...

The bathroom was a private one, meaning that the sink was not in the room but in the bathroom. There is no nightlight, which is a nice thing to have, they missed the mark on this. The shower has one tiny little shelf to put a bar of soap on...there is nothing else available for putting your shower items.

There is a microwave, refrigerator, hair dryer, coffee maker thingie (we don't drink coffee). The TV is a flat panel and the HDMI connector is open meaning you can stream videos or the web from your laptop.

The other portions of the hotel are in very clean and good condition; apparently it was build around 5 years ago.

My wife and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone that is looking to stay in the area of Carlsbad caverns, which is around 25 minutes away.

Another thing that this hotel did that is really cool and forward thinking is that they provided a huge clip (like a potato bag clip) for closing the curtains...because otherwise you always get that one little vertical slit between the two that lets the sun come roaring in... I gave the sleep quality 4 stars because while the pillows are labeled "Firm" and "Soft" they are dinky, almost like airline pillows!! :(

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank onebigfellah
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carlsbad

Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

I originally was booked in another hotel for two weeks while traveling on business. Needless to say, that place was disgusting. I called up the Holiday Inn directly and told them my situation. Jisa, the manager, was very nice and understanding and worked some magic to get me a suite for a discounted rate last minute. So clean and so comfortable! The cleaning staff on the third floor ( their names escape me) were especially accomodating to me while I was there and made sure my room was cleaned after I left for work at noon. April and Jisa are great! Plus you can't beat the hot breakfast, especially those Cinnabon buns!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Clean, clean, clean. These places, no matter their location, have got their act together. I was a bit taken back at the price of this hotel, at 220/night, much more expensive than others in the area. Location is in a mall parking lot - not too inviting.. Close the blinds, crank up the AC and pretend you´re somewhere else, happily, besides Carlsbad.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This hotel is located in the arm-pit town of Carslbad. If it weren't for the gas and oil industry and the Caverns, I have no idea why anyone would go there. Ok back to the hotel, it was fine. Nothing more nothing less.

One problem was the air conditioning unit was making a bunch of noise, I asked at the front desk for it to be looked at. Maintenance was not on site. So my husband fixed it. If you have someone handy it's great, but if not, you' d have a noisy a/c unit. They did "reluctantly " offer to call in maintenance from their day off....but c'mon.

Breakfast was quite good, probably one of the best we experienced.

The thing I can't get over is the cost of this hotel. It's outrageous. Gas and Oil industry can pay the high cost and lots of Halliburton guys are there staying the night. It was quiet.
Glad they had free wi-fi

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carlsbad, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear webtravelreview,

Ferdinand G.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel is a joke. We stayed one night on a reservation that we called and made. Used my credit card to pay the room and instead of only one night charge they charged two. Said that we never came down to check out. Well that is a poorexcuse because housekeeping should of told them that no one was in the room. I stay at hotels around the US and no one requires you to phisically check out anymore. Poorly ran hotel and if that is the way they treat their guests, I will never return nor will I recomend to anyone. When we contacted the hotel April said absolutley not on refunding the money and it was all my fault, and would she would not call her manager or her owner to talk to me. Just warning the next person to make sure you check out and get a receipt or they will take your money too!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lorrie T
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carlsbad, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear Lorrie T,

Thank you for your recent stay and leaving us a review. It is regrettable that you were not satisfied with the service received. I have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your stay.

Pam G.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

The credit card company sent us a new card between the time I reserved this hotel and the day of the reservation. Although this was not a problem at any other hotel we stayed at during our 2 week vacation, this Holiday Inn gave our reservation away when we didn't arrive by 6PM. They claimed that since it was their busy season, they couldn't afford to wait to see if we'd show up. When we did arrive, they said that there wasn't another room available anywhere in town and suggested we go to the next town - about an hour and a half away. Something didn't feel right about their story and luckily I didn't believe them. I stopped at the Best Western just down the street and ended up getting a nicer room for $20 less than we would have paid at Holiday Inn. Still, it gave us a good scare - being stranded late at night with no motels within an hour and half or more. Holiday Inn was never high on my list and now it'll be completely off it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank John L

Dear John L,

Thank you for your feedback. As customer service professionals, we strive to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. Please accept my sincere apology for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced and we certainly regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible.

We appreciate your feedback and hope that you'll give us a chance to serve you in the future.

Joel B

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Given the proximity to the Caves, your value options are limited..... yes, this is overpriced, but the market here is able to bear it,. We found the hotel to be very comfortable and clean - excellent bedding and towels, nice sized room ( we had 3 adults in a 'suite') and very friendly staff members. Check-in was quick and pleasant and the desk folks made some OK restaurant recommendations in a town where dinner ends by 8pm...... Their HIE breakfast area was nicer than the food was good..... it was hot food but not freshly prepared - a decent selection of breads, cinnamon rolls and an egg/meats/biscuits warmer full of prepared food.

We found it quiet and not crowded but we were here in the 'off season', too. All in all a decent but relatively expensive Inn which I would stay at if my travels brought me here again!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends