WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #5 of 22 things to do in Carlsbad
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The smell”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Close by there are many natural gas wells. At night they burn off the poisonous gas. In the morning and all night the smell is horrible. Also the flies are terrible. The view is beautiful. ..but the campground is located about 20 miles from town. Not a great place to stay.

2 Thank Lori M

NYC
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“Excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Review on CAMPING.
The only reason I didn't give this park 5 stars was because it was a bit out of the way. Otherwise, fantastic.

We camped at Brantley Lake State Park while visiting Carlsbad Caverns. While the maps may say it is 13 miles from Carlsbad, bear in mind that (a) the Caverns are a distance PAST the town and the drive will be more like an hour from the campground to the caverns, and (b) the "driveway" into Carlsbad is quite long (7 miles-ish) so just because you're at the entry doesn't mean you're "home" - it's a long ride on a slow road.

The campground is pleasant and quiet with clean bathrooms and hook ups. The picnic tables are covered which is great for the hot sun of NM. Camping sites are spaced nicely apart so you aren't all up in each others' business.

We had the pleasure of hearing coyotes early one morning before sunrise.

The only downside was that there is a grill but fire pits are prohibited (I'm guessing because of the dryness - thus fire threat - typical to NM) so campfires aren't really possible.

Visited August 2013
Euless, Texas
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great State Park”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We loved our two nights at Brantley Lake. We went to Carlsbad mainly for the Caverns but were glad we picked to stay 30 miles north at Lake Brantley. We had tons of room, it was the clean, the kids loved the playground and lake. Nothing negative. Don't miss going to Living Zoo - kids loved it :)

Visited July 2013
Marietta, Georgia, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Overnighter”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stopped here in early August 2012 on my way to Carlsbad Caverns for the night. Carlsbad was less than an hour away so it was a good place to camp for the night. They had power hookups, water, flush toilets, and showers. The place was about a third full. I can't remember the fee to get in but it was cheap, less than $20.
I was fascinated by the landscape in the area as I had never been in a desert before (I'm from Atlanta). This was my first night of a 1 month camping road trip and I was nervous and not very experienced. Everywhere I stepped I expected to see a rattlesnake or scorpion but luckily I encountered neither. I slept on top of my sleeping bag in only shorts that night with the rain cap off and enjoyed the light breeze.

Visited August 2012
Iowa
233 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 499 helpful votes
“Picnic lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

We had a picnic lunch recently at Brantley Lake State Park. It's located about ten minutes north of Carlsbad. We were staying at the KOA nearby, so we decided to bring a picnic lunch and check it out.

There's a small day use fee to enter; I think it was $5. No one was in the entry booth so we did the self pay. We drove a short ways to the picnic area, which was very nice. It had four or five picnic tables with roofs, park grills (taped over due to the current fire ban), garbage cans. The picnic area was extremely clean. Bathrooms (vault toilets) were a short walk away. The picnic area sits on a hill overlooking the lake.

After eating, we walked down to the lake. I was expecting a sand beach where people could wade and swim, but there was no beach and no people swimming in the water. We later noticed a sign recommending people not eat the fish they catch due to contamination in the lake water. I'm guessing that's why no one was swimming or wading. We did see several boats and jet skis out on the lake. Some of the boats were speeding around quite fast.

There was a nice fishing dock on the lake; it had an open area in the center so you could drop your fishing line down right there. There was also a cement boat ramp nearby.

Visited May 2013