“Nominate the menu writter for a Pultzer prize - for fiction”

YellowBrix Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 72 Restaurants in Carlsbad
Cuisines: American, Grill
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: YellowBrix is a bistro style lunch and dinner venue. Our lunch and dinner menus are both available during all hours of operation,11am-9pm Sun.-Thurs. And 11am-10pm on Fri.&Sat. The menu consists of salads, sandwiches, pastas, and many steak and seafood options from the grill including a 24 oz. Cowboy ribeye. Our signature sauce selections are great compliments to our steaks! Upon request, our chef will "whip up" alternatives for the vegetarian and vegan guest.
Plainview, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nominate the menu writter for a Pultzer prize - for fiction”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We chose the restaurant based on the menu, should have read more reviews. My French steak was tough and tastless - I saved what I did not eat to take to our dog, then decided against that - we thought the over seasoned (pepper) sause might make her sick. Our grand child was very hungry, but could not eat even half of her cheese sandwich. I was still hungry after trying the steak, so tried to eat the rest of the sandwich. It was heavy, dry and tasteless. I could only give a plus one rating, for this restaurant, but the over $69 bill rates this place a negative four, at least. Sixty-nine dollars was for one glass of wine, one ice tea, two adult meals and one cheese sandwich. Our eight year old remarked the gelato looked like "throw up" (can't make this stuff up) and I agreed, as the case and containers were dirty, obvioursly had not been cleaned for weeks, and had flys in the case..

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Dingbat2013
Dan0201, Owner at YellowBrix Restaurant, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Reviewer, Dingbat2013, nominated me for the Pultzer (sic) Prize in fiction, though I'm sure he meant to say Pulitzer Prize. That prestigious award is normally given to an author who succeeds in making his writing become vivid and real, even if it is fiction. Of course, this reviewer's intent was dripping sarcasm that our menu is somehow dishonest. That is just not factual.

The menu describes our Steak Au Poivre (not "French steak") as "...fresh-cracked black pepper encrusted..." and that is exactly what it is. Dingbat2013 called his steak "tough and tasteless" but then goes on to say it was "over seasoned". Confusing contradictions such as this would certainly not qualify the reviewer for a restaurant reviewer award.

Interestingly, our Steak au Poivre is the most popular entrée on our dinner menu, out selling even the amazing filet and our quite popular blackened salmon. The reviewer's server that evening sincerely attempted to remediate the situation with this customer, but there was no assuaging him. He seemed hell-bent on making a fuss, and the customers at tables near his even pitched in and tried to calm Dingbat2013. For her bearing and gentle response, the server was given verbal accolades from the adjacent tables. They also tipped her beyond what she should have expected.

Regarding the gelato that night, one of our employees had mistakenly switched on the display's glass-heat and had left it on for an extended period, something that should not have happened. As a result, the surface of the gelato had melted unattractively and was in need of attention. Regarding flies in the gelato, I have never seen that, though it is certainly a possibility. If a fly did get in, it would certainly be looking for the quickest way out, as its life would definitely be in jeopardy. Freezing cold temps always tend to discourage insects and the glass-heat problem was fixed earlier in the day. Regarding his grandchild's "throw-up" comment, Dingbat stated, "You can't make this stuff up" (a quote from an unscripted line in a movie that has reached cliche status). Ah, but you certainly can when embellishment is the goal.

I sent an email response to this reviewer almost immediately after he posted hoping to generate some positive discourse. He did not respond to my outreach.

Houston, Texas
“Bad service”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We were seated outside promptly. We sat there and waited about 10 minutes and finally asked a server for some help. "She said let me check and see who's table this is". I mean really you are a server and don't know who's table it is. So we sat another 10 minutes and got up and walked out. They watched us walk out and did not say anything. Just for a reference on prices. The special that night was salmon for $28.95.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Terry C
Dan0201, Owner at YellowBrix Restaurant, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
We sincerely apologize for your experience and our failure to serve you in the fashion and at the level of service you deserve and we hold as required for our guests. We are working on more effectively serving our patio-seated patrons by instigating a zone wait-staff approach that insures our outside customers are not neglected, as seems to be the case with you. Again, I am sorry for your negative experience and hope you will avail us once more with the opportunity to serve you better.
Newport News, Virginia
“Good Food and Great atmosphere”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This restaurant was quite a surprise for the town of Carlsbad, NM! It felt definitely upscale and the waiter couldn't have been nicer.
My husband had a delicious cajun pasta dish and my son and I both had the poached pear and field greens salad. One note was that they were out of 2 dishes that I tried to order: the mussels and the artichoke dip.

Visited August 2013
Long Beach
“Delicious Dinner Outside”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and I brought our two kids with us for dinner and chose a seat on the patio. It was a very pleasant setting. We ordered drinks, caesar salad as an appetizer, steak and scallops. The kids had a hamburger and chicken strips. The food was fantastic. My scallops were delicious and perfectly cooked, served with a great parmesan risotto and asparagus. The presentation was creative. My husband's steak was also delicious and the mashed potatoes were amazing. We got our drinks in a reasonable time, but it took a while to get the salad and a very long time for entrees. The food was so good, I am not complaining, just saying, be patient. They have a gelato bar, so we all picked a different flavor for dessert. It was delicious! The roasted almond was the best. One problem on the patio was flies. We were badly harassed by a swarm of flies through the whole meal. It seems like they could do something to deter the flies, ie citronella candles or screen in the patio. The staff ignored the mass of flies on our table and did not clear any plates, which might have helped. We were constantly waving at them and I had to put a napkin over my son's plate so he could eat. Despite this, we really enjoyed the food.

• Visited July 2013
Carlsbad, New Mexico
“Amazing service and great food!!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

When we walked in, we were immediatly seated and soon after our server, Dalton, came to the table. He was all smiles and very welcoming. Our food was at the table in no more than 10 minutes and it was excellent! Dalton checked on us several times to make sure everything was alright and never let our drinks get below half full! Thank you for the great experience! I will definitely be taking my my family back!!

• Visited July 2013