“We found a gem in Carlsbad!”

YellowBrix Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 75 Restaurants in Carlsbad
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: YellowBrix is a bistro style lunch and dinner venue. Our lunch and dinner menus are both available during all hours of operation,11am-9pm Sun.-Thurs. And 11am-10pm on Fri.&Sat. The menu consists of salads, sandwiches, pastas, and many steak and seafood options from the grill including a 24 oz. Cowboy ribeye. Our signature sauce selections are great compliments to our steaks! Upon request, our chef will "whip up" alternatives for the vegetarian and vegan guest.
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Sunday evening many restuarants in Carlsbad are not open, but lucky for us YellowBrix was open and ready to provide a great meal. Wonderful food, nicely presented in a low-key gourmet fashion. A nice wine selection. Delicious coffee and fresh gellato to complete the dinner. It was a lovely and relaxing evening. Almost forgot, we loved the artwork.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

... YellowBrix is a delightful spot for lunch or dinner. Pleasant dining room, good food and outdoor seating when weather permits. The only downside is that they seem to be chronically understaffed. So sit back, enjoy a glass of wine or iced tea and try not to blame the server. She or he is doing the best he/she can.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Love that they are casual for lunch and switch to a true Gourmet restaurant in the evening. Can't wait until it warms up more, because you can sit outside! Wished I would live in Carlsbad, so I could go there every Saturday evening, when they have live music.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

While the food was delicious, the portions were small and very high priced. Our waiter was rude and was very slow to serve. We asked 2 different servers for the bread that comes with your meal. After an hour, we finally asked management directly who quickly brought out the bread. She was very apologetic and offered free gelato for dessert. Unless they can upgrade the wait staff, I do think this restaurant is worth the high price.

Barbara R, Owner at YellowBrix Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

I am sorry about your experience with our bread service on the evening you visited YellowBrix, a few days ago. I was the manager who apologized and offered your table free gelatos for dessert. I want to thank you for your feedback that night and for your review as well. We strive to use any comments in the dining room or elsewhere to drive improvement. Our staffing was definitely under par the evening you were there due to an unexpected swell in attendance for the patio entertainment. We have featured patio entertainment before at YellowBrix, but never had a turnout of that magnitude, perhaps thanks to extra marketing done by the band itself. Of course, this experience will drive increased staffing for these engagements in the future.

Lately, in response to Spring Break and a sudden increase in business in general, we have been striving to hire the best servers and staff possible, even traveling to El Paso for interviews and offering our home and free lodging to bring additional highly qualified staff to YellowBrix. We are solidly committed to building the best staff Carlsbad has to offer. If you come to dine with us again, call in advance and ask to speak to me, Barbara. We will see that you receive a $25 certificate to give us another try.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I found this restaurant first because it is walking distance from the Trinity where I was staying and second because it is the only good restaurant that is open on weekends (I found everything shuts down on the weekends in Carlsbad).

I ate at the Trinity and Steakhouse and this restaurant was better than both of them, easily. It has nice decor, and pleasant and not intrusive music which goes with the decor. To give you an example of the music, a mellow version of "mad world" played while I was there. My waitress discussed options helpfully and accurately. She and others checked with me sometimes regarding more bread or lemonade (this was good; any more and it would be too often). I got smiles from other waitstaff as they'd pass. There is easily adequate staff and all of them were hustling. The food was attractively plated. My ginger carrot soup pleased me, served with lavash. They politely asked if I was done before clearing dishes.

They are open on Sunday! That doesn't sound special until it is Sunday and you notice that only the least interesting restaurants are open until you come upon this one. I liked that my waitress checked with the kitchen to assure accuracy when she was unsure about something. The restaurant has beautiful windows and doors with pretty beveled glass, and ceiling fans, and clean floors with a wooden appearance.
I was happy they had free wifi too. Apparently there is representation in the cooking staff from the Cordon Bleu school in Phoenix. I noticed a touch of rosemary in the sauce for my dish, just a hint -- all of the dishes were nicely in balance. I got brussel sprouts and broccolini fingerlings too. For dessert, nicely presented raspberry and choc-o-molten cake.

The bill for my dinner (just 1 person) was $36 not including whatever tip, which I felt was very reasonable for the value rendered. They have very convenient parking, and outdoor seating if you don't mind some traffic noise.

Thanks for the kind words. We love our staff and believe that they are truly committed to great customer service and to seeking opportunities for continuous improvement. We also have fantastic customers!!!