“Vacumn during lunch...?”

YellowBrix Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 72 Restaurants in Carlsbad
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: YellowBrix is a bistro style lunch and dinner venue. Our lunch and dinner menus are both available during all hours of operation,11am-9pm Sun.-Thurs. And 11am-10pm on Fri.&Sat. The menu consists of salads, sandwiches, pastas, and many steak and seafood options from the grill including a 24 oz. Cowboy ribeye. Our signature sauce selections are great compliments to our steaks! Upon request, our chef will "whip up" alternatives for the vegetarian and vegan guest.
Traveling
“Vacumn during lunch...?”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The food was great and the service was good but we arrived at 2:00 and they close from 2:30 to 5:00 p.m. At 2:30 they started turning the chairs up on the tables, moving the tables around, sweeping, moping.... etc.. I was very rude! I am talking six feet from our table! The meals are $10 to $18 each for lunch so we were not at a fast food place! Sophisticated gourmet food with McDonald's atmosphere. So go early (no later then 1:30) or choose a different place.

Visited September 2012
Lucas H, Manager at YellowBrix Restaurant, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
I am very sorry you had an experience like this at our restaurant. You will be pleased to know that our lunch hours have been extended to 3:30pm. We close mid-day because we completely change the type of restaurant we are between lunch and dinner. This requires ALOT of prep and setup, and since we open at 5pm as a different type of restaurant, we have to have time for this. I can assure you that now there are NO chairs being put up while customers are in the building. Thank you for your feedback, and I hope you come see us again.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Most Pleasant Dinner in Carlsbad”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My girlfriend and I spent a weekend in Carlsbad exploring the caverns, and we had a very pleasant dinner at YellowBrix. We found that sharing two entrees and a salad was more than enough food for the two of us hungry subterranean explorers. My cheeseburger was quite good, and, most importantly, they were one of the few places open on Sunday night in Carlsbad. They also had a nice selection of beer and wine.

• Visited September 2012
Lucas H, Manager at YellowBrix Restaurant, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
We at Yellowbrix are very pleased to hear you had such a good experience. We strive to be the restaurant that makes a persons visit to Carlsbad that much more enjoyable. We feel honored to have been a part of your trip. We hope if you ever come through again, you will stop and see us. :)
Bartlett, Illinois
“Nice Place”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is one of two good restaurants in Carlsbad. Stopped here late (8pm) after the Bat Flight Program at the caverns was cancelled due to weather. I had the pear salad and my husband had the chicken. The salad was a good size but the pears were a little hard. The chicken was a little smaller than my husband expected but very good. We also had a lemon bar which was tasty. The decor was very nice, loved the interesting paintings throughout the restaurant.

Artesia, New Mexico, United States
“Decent”
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I went here for dinner. We both order prime rib. Each only had a few bites of meat, the rest was all fat. We ordered them medium rare and they came out well done. The forgot our sons hamburger, we had to wait 20 minutes for it. The asparagus and potatoes were good. Desserts also good. Price not worth the quality though.

Barbara R, Owner at YellowBrix Restaurant, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
I am always alarmed to hear that a customer had a bad experience at our restaurant, and so any review that is less than stellar is thoroughly discussed and researched as we seek opportunities for improvement and development. As we researched your case, however, we searched for your ticket, first among our kitchen tickets that we carefully save for at least a week, then in our computer database, to make sure that we did not miss it. After searching both places and consulting every staff member as soon as we saw this review, there was not a single ticket with 2 prime ribs and a hamburger on Friday, Saturday or Sunday of this week. We only offer prime rib on Fri. Sat. and Sun., so there is no record of your order and no server remembered your presence at our restaurant. I am not saying that this is one of those "attack" reviews, that has been known to come from other restaurant affiliates, but I am saying that when no server can remember your situation, no such ticket can be produced, and when the kitchen staff had no "fire orders" for pocket (forgotten) tickets during the time frame when you reported your visit to our restaurant, we are completely baffled. Moreover, when something like this occurs, it is automatic that a manager is called to rectify the situation. Since no manager was even mentioned in your review, we are further flummoxed. If and when you return, please ask to speak to a manager, or to one of the owners to let us know who you are to and give us an opportunity to address your comments directly.
San Jose, California
“Went home hungry.”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

1. This restaurant smells like old moldy house. My throat was itching because of this smell. I am allergic to it. They may need to hire a restoration service to check for mold.

2. Our waitress had her nails with not fully removed purple nail polish. She also rolled up long sleeves to expose her large tattoo on her hand. I found this not classy for a French restaurant. Why don't you cover your tattoo and remove your nail polish?

3. Don't order grilled chicken. It was hard and with some rice on the side. Rice was very unappetizing. It looked like fast food restaurant food. I didn't eat it and went home hungry.
Why do you even put it on the menu, if you can't cook and present it well? My friends were happy with their food (scallops and stuffed with bacon chicken).

4. Our waitress didn't pay attention to us. She was chatting with other stuff. I needed to look at her for a long time in order to get her attention.

1 Thank BandTforever
We take negative comments about our restaurant very seriously. The server who is the subject of your complaints was let go shortly after we received this review. Your review was only the tipping point in our decision, which was imminent at the time of your visit. The staff does remember your visit, and we regret that it was not a better experience. However, I'd like to respond to some of your comments, since I think some of them were a little harsh due to your anguish with the server.

1. The house has no mold. In fact, after a half a million dollar renovation, wherein the house was gutted to the studs and upgraded in every aspect including new plumbing, electrical and HVAC throughout, any mold would have been detected in this process. I do remember the night we saw your review (right after you wrote it), and we realized that we had used a different floor cleaner, restaurant-approved, of course, but which was definitely different than our regular cleaner. It indeed had an odor of lemon-grass, and had been applied at 2:30pm, so it was still somewhat prominent. Needless to say, before you noticed it, we did and did not plan to use it again.

3. The saffron rice that comes with our grilled chicken has been extremely well received by our customers, based on many comments I personally have received, as has our staff, and was an upgrade from the jasmine rice that previously accompanied our chicken. I understand that it may not be to your liking just as some people do not like asparagus. However, it is highly appreciated in gourmet circles and we do not believe this rice constitutes a "poor presentation".
I'm sorry it took me so long to get to doing this response, but things have been quite busy at the restaurant.

Please come back and experience our staff and service improvements!!