“Above average”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Above average”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Above average and above your typical price for a Hampton Inn, however, the hotel is fairly new, the staff is excellent and the rooms are slightly larger than older Hampton Inns. Not certain what is driving the price up on this particular hotel, but it seems to be the norm for Carlsbad. Could it be the Carlsbad Caverns? My experience at the hotel was very good. The front desk complied with my request for a room away from the elevators and vending machines, so I was happy. They also provided me with a room on the backside of the hotel, away from the car-wash and traffic noise (thanks!). The wireless access to the Internet work well, and the breakfast had a fair selection of items. The pool and hot-tub were very clean, as was the room. The only quirk was the cleaning solution used to clean the bathroom, it was quite strong; lingering long after the bathroom was cleaned. A slight nasal irritation occurred upon entry, but disappeared within a reasonable amount of time (my suggestion is to open the window for about 5 minutes, which greatly helped).

Room Tip: Request a room on the back-side of the hotel and avoid the car-wash and traffic noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamptoncarlsbadnm, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Carlsbad, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and we thank you for your business. We thank you for all the kind words regarding our service, hotel cleanliness, room size, internet, pool and breakfast amenities. We understand price is a concern, but we hope to provide value compared to our competitors by providing great service, clean accommodations and better amenities. We look forward to being your host on future trips to the area. If you have any other questions, comments or concerns regarding your stay, please contact me at 575-725-5700.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I stayed here while in the area for business. With the very limited choices in Carlsbad, it was nice to finally have a newer choice.

Check in was quick, staff was friendly. My room was clean, no weird smells, and very spacious once I got in. The door was quite "heavy" (due to the auto-close hydraulic thing) so getting my gear into the room was an ordeal, especially since the sink/microwave/fridge area was right there as you come in. It didn't just open into the room. I did have a heavy footed person in the room above mine, so I heard every movement. I don't know if I was lucky enough to have a noisy person up there, or if all rooms have this feature. The front desk did seem to help alleviate the noise after I called about it.

Breakfast is the typical hotel fare; the heat and serve stuff. I don't like the way that food tastes, so I did not partake. The coffee was not to my tastes, either. I like strong, coffee flavored coffee, so the gross coffee is just my opinion.

During the week, cookies are served in the afternoon. Those were pretty good.

The hotel is obviously family owned; by a large family. This large family stays huddled at the front desk area, the office area behind the desk, or the dining area. They are always there, all of them, all ages. Sometimes, they distract each other and it is difficult to get their attention if you need service, or the noise level prevents them from hearing customers. This may or may not be an issue for some.

Overall, the stay was good. Due to limited choices and being one of those "I travel a lot and collect a lot of points" folks, I'd probably stay here again.

Green Features: Despite hanging my towels (as instructed) so they wouldn't have to change them out, they were changed out anyway. :(
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and we thank you for your business. We thank you for all the kind words regarding our hotel staff service, hotel cleanliness and room size . We look forward to being your host on future trips to the area. If you have any other questions, comments or concerns regarding your stay, please contact me at 575-725-5700.
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We only stayed one night at this Hampton while visiting the Caverns. The check in was quick, the room was sizable and quite comfortable. The breakfast was excellent and the staff friendly and helpful. We were happy to pay a little more for our room here, especially after seeing some of the other accommodations available in the local area. The hotel is conveniently located close to the Caverns and many restaurants.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamptoncarlsbadnm, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Carlsbad, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and we thank you for your business. We thank you for all the kind words regarding our breakfast, service, room size and comfort, hotel cleanliness and location. We look forward to being your host on future trips to the area. If you have any other questions, comments or concerns regarding your stay, please contact me at 575-725-5700.
Marion, New York
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights in August 2013. We have stayed at several Hampton Inns and this one was what we expected although the price per night was very high. The room was clean, the staff was friendly and they had a nice breakfast in the morning. We were in town to visit the caverns and this location was perfect for us. It was about a 20 minute drive to the park entrance. There was a Chili's restaurant next to the hotel and because it was close by we had dinner there both nights. We used the pool and hot tub at the hotel and we were satisfied with both. It was a good stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jennifer P
Hamptoncarlsbadnm, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Carlsbad, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and we appreciate your business. We thank you for the kind words regarding our hotel cleanliness, staff service, breakfast, pool and hotel location. We understand prices are higher in the Carlsbad, NM area compared to other areas, but we hope to provide value compared to our competitors by providing clean accomodations, great free breakfast, excellent service, good location and better amenities. If you have any other questions, comments or concerns regarding your stay, please contact me at 575-725-5700.
Mira Loma, United States
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed three nights at the Hampton Inn in Carlsbad. We enjoyed our stay there as the room was very clean and quiet. The only negative things I can say about our stay was that the room did not have a dresser to store our clothes in and it was a bit pricey. I understand about supply and demand for rooms in Carlsbad but it was not busy as we visited after Labor Day. However, I would recommend the Hampton Inn as it looks a lot nicer than most other places we saw while in Carlsbad.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Hamptoncarlsbadnm, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Carlsbad, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and we appreciate your business. We thank you for the kind words regarding the cleanliness of the hotel. We understand price is a concern in Carlsbad, NM, but we hope to provide value compared to our competitors by providing clean accomodations, great free breakfast, excellent service, good location and better amenities. If you have any other questions, comments or concerns regarding your stay, please contact me at 575-725-5700.
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed on a trip to see the caverns, close drive appx 15 miles, really isn't any place decent to stay at. Hampton is a very nice place to stay in Carlsbad, the front desk staff was great very attentive and can't do enough, the room was great, big and clean, good breakfast and close restaurants, but the price is steep for a night, but everything that comes with a Hilton brand hotel, 1st class.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hamptoncarlsbadnm, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Carlsbad, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and we thank you for your business! We appreciate all the kind words regarding our staff, room size, cleanliness, breakfast and hotel location. We understand price is a concern in Carlsbad, NM, but we hope to provide value compared to our competitors by providing clean accomodations, great free breakfast, excellent service, good location and better amenities. If you have any other questions, comments or concerns regarding your stay, please contact me at 575-725-5700.
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel like most Hamptons but the $325 a night price is a rip-off. Just because they can charge high prices does not mean they should. No way was this place worth this price. I've stayed in some ver fine hotels in foreign countries for less. I will avoid all Hampton Inns in protest.

Stayed August 2013
4 Thank JoeGnsx
Hamptoncarlsbadnm, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Carlsbad, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We thank you for your business! We understand prices are higher in the Carlsbad, NM area compared to other areas, but we hope to provide value compared to our competitors by providing clean accomodations, great free breakfast, excellent service, good location and better amenities. If you have any other questions, comments or concerns regarding your stay, please contact me at 575-725-5700.