“Oasis in the soutwest”
Review of The Trinity Hotel

The Trinity Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Carlsbad B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We had driven 8 hours from Tucson and after passing El Capitan began to wonder if the desert ever ended. Well, it did and at the end of it was a little gem of a hotel.

Upon arrival we were greeted by the proprietor and led to our spacious and comfortable room 203. The bathroom is huge and the bed comfortable. Complimentary water in the small refrigerator was welcome.

After washing the dust off from our journey we went downstairs to the restaurant and started with a wine tasting. The Trinity has some respectable locally produced Syrah and Chardonnay choices. The Tempranillo was excellent too.

For dinner we had some great choices from the Italian based menu. We were "lights out" by 10 pm from what proved to be a long day with a happy ending

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Trinity H, Front Office Manager at The Trinity Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you visit us again!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I'm a hotel chain/point road warrior. My colleague recommended Trinity so I took her recommendation. I was not disappointed. Room 204 was well appointed on the second floor. I asked for help with my luggage and they quickly sent someone to my car. The nice touches included a refrigerator with complimentary bottled water in room. Complimentary wine tasting each evening at the bar “your choice of wines” and morning espresso beverages and hot fresh house made bakery. Trinity will be my new staple when visiting Carlsbad. Oh, and a great value as well.

Room Tip: If you don't like direct street access rooms make sure to choose one on the second floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We have no doubt the Trinity is the best lodging in Carlsbad, an amazing save and repurposing of the 1892 First National Bank building. We would stay here again over any other Carlsbad property, but that said, some unexpected quirks.

Oddly, the bed in “handicap accessible” room 101 is so high off the floor that anyone under 5’6” will want to use the desk chair as a step stool to climb into bed. Overall, a completely charming room with an excellent bed, but only one (!) nightstand and bed-side light made night-time reading impractical on the lightless side. Pack your illuminated eReader!

Many nice touches, including fresh high thread-count sheets, luxury bath sheets, quality bath amenities, snuggly robes, a wine chiller stocked with complimentary bottled water, and nightly complimentary wine tasting in Trinity Hotel Restaurant.

Travelers used to “country quiet” should expect some street noise, but nothing too raucous. Original stone walls and 1890s over-engineering allows virtually no sound to penetrate from adjacent rooms.

Room Tip: No elevator; pick room 101 or 102 if stairs are an issue. Warning about room 102: We were advised...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Trinity H, Front Office Manager at The Trinity Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

We are glad you enjoyed our hotel as well as our restaurant! we hope to see you again! Thanks for staying with us!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We couldn't have been happier with our room. Located on the ground level, the door opened right onto the street. The beautifully furnished queen room had twelve (or so) foot ceilings, burgundy velvet curtains, victorian furniture, and a bathtub/shower that could revitalize the dullest romance. We also enjoyed the bullet hole in the glass above the door separating the two rooms from an old bank robbery. I can't imagine not being happy with this hotel, the nice staff, AND the delicious food available on site.

Room Tip: If you can't walk up stairs the rooms on street level are lovely, and you can park your car six...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We stayed here March 21, 2013.

The hotel is very centrally located in Carlsbad. But in our case, this was not important, since our only interest was visiting the Caverns (which are amazing!).

This was the second place on our recent trip where we had to climb extensive stairs to reach our room. In this case, they were the equivalent of an outdoor fire escape, not the least bit easy to scale or bring luggage up. We were not offered any assistance.

Once we reached the room (201), we found it to be above average, but not great. The bathroom was rather "quirky". I don't know why hotels try to be cute by installing non-normal shower fixtures.

We found the staff to be quite impersonal, and not very helpful. They are obviously "just employees", with no apparent management on hand. We have been treated far better at Holiday Inns or similar places.

We ate in the restaurant, where the food and service were average. The free wine tasting was a nice addition.

I am rating this a 2, largely because of the inconvenience reaching our room, and the less than accommodating staff. I would not recommend it.

Room Tip: Stay on the ground floor only!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BobL1941
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed here three days. The rooms are a great blend of historic detail, things like high ceilings, old fireplaces, woodwork, and new details like bathrooms and bedding. The glass transom over the bathroom door had, we were told, an old bullet hole from a bank robbery. Very comfortable and clean. Really nice people.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, and the second floor is way up there. Unless you travel light or like exercis...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2013

What a place! I don't even know where to start.

1. Hotel - very nice, very clean, very cool. Nice room set up with everything you could ask for. They even had a wine cooler in our room. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets and pillows were fantastic. This is a converted bank building and it makes an amazing place to stay! We had four in our party and both of the couples were thrilled with the rooms. The bathrooms were top notch as well. If I am ever back in this area, I would plan my trip around the availability of this hotel! The staff was very friendly and helpful. The ONLY thing... we were with an older couple. It was a bit difficult for them to get up the stairs. Had I known this before making the reservations, I would have made sure they had a room on the ground level. Just be aware of this and there will be no issue.

2. Restaurant - WOW. Really? In Carlsbad New Mexico? The first night we enjoyed the Wine Tasting with our staff member Desiree. They have some wonderful New Mexico wines. If you are near... the wine tasting alone is worth the trip. Did I mention the free goat cheese and crackers? Even that was amazing! Desiree was fantastic! The next morning we got up and had one of the best breakfast I have ever had - and I am a breakfast guy! Two eggs over medium, some excellent hash browns... a slice of ham with the bone in.... and one of the best biscuits I have ever had. Add some ice cold milk and some coffee... and you have one happy table! The cinnamon rolls... you have to try! If I lived anywhere near this place.... I would come back for breakfast alone. AMAZING. That night after hiking the caverns... we came back for our dinner at the hotel. Could the dinner out do the breakfast? Ummm... it might have! If not... it was close. I had some kind of chicken Lasagna with an Alfredo sauce. It was maybe one of the best things I have ever had! I can't even describe it - cheesy, saucy.... heaven. The others in our party had steaks. Each of them said it put very famous steak places to shame! Absolutely terrific!

What else can I say? If you ever go to Carlsbad New Mexico and don't stay at this place and eat in the restaurant... you are missing out. If you live near this place and don't eat there... you can't imagine what you are missing. I would choose the place to be on the TV Show... :"Best thing I ever ate" and I would choose the lasagna.

This place is for real! And a place that you simply must try if you are anywhere near!

Room Tip: If you have problems with stairs be sure to stay on the first floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family