“Not quite...” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Carlsbad
Albuquerque
“Not quite...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

at first the place was ok, the place is currently being "renovated". It was clean and everything looked liked it worked. For the price I paid i was not expecting much however, the next morning 1st the knob in the tub didnt work, had to turn several times for the water to turn on...2nd there was no hot water called front desk 4 times finally got an anwer that the hot water heater broke. One of the basic services of any motel is a hot shower!! 3rd the continental breakfast was GROSS...FLIES EVERWHERE AND ON THE FOOD... The morning staff were rude, uncaring, and stupid! Finally got hot water late in the evening, but cleaning services let in the files into the room.YICK! DONT STAY HERE. Overall Carlsbad is just a rude city, I dont think I will be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank chs70
EconolodgeCarlsbadNM, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Please accept our sincerest apologies for your inconvenience during your stay at our hotel. Though there had been renovation during your stay, our aim is to still provide the best service despite the situation. We apologize for the shortcomings during your stay regarding the cleanliness and sanitation of our rooms as well as the breakfast being served. Rest assured that your comments regarding the shower as well as the maintenance of our facilities will be forwarded to our staff for a more likely stay in the future. We hope to give a much better impression should you decide to stay with our hotel again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Santa Fe, New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

I was a long-term guest with one pet. The television set kept turning off every minute or so. The microwave was filthy inside. The laundry room was absolutely disgusting, like something out of a third-world slum. And there was a leak on the floor above me that they didn't fix for about a week. When I discovered that one of my neighbors was paying half as much for their pet fee as I was, I complained. The manager basically said, "I don't care. There's nothing I can do. That's what you're paying. Any more questions?" I was shocked at the attitude given that I was a long-term guest who caused no problems. The difference that I was asking for, just to be fair to me, was FIVE DOLLARS per night!

And this is the only hotel I have ever stayed in throughout my entire life (I have travelled to 49 states and 22 countries all over the world) that will not refund money to a guest who pays for a weekly rate and then has to leave before the week is up. This did not happen to ME, but it is their policy. So if you check in and pay for a week in advance in order to get the lower nightly rate, but then have to leave the next day for some reason, DO NOT expect any refund whatsoever, they will stick you with seven nights because they are GREEDY and DON'T CARE. Every other hotel I have ever stayed at will refund the guest for the weekly rate BUT then charge him a higher per-night rate for each night that he did stay. BOTTOM LINE: THESE PEOPLE ARE GREEDY AND DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU!

Room Tip: Don't choose any room at this hotel. RUN, don't walk, away from this place.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Philip W
We appreciate your effort in sharing with us your recent hotel experience. We apologize for the shortcomings during your stay and not meeting up with your expectations. We will evaluate your comments regarding the weekly rate you paid in advance as we want our guests to enjoy the comfort of our hotel at the same time the great value for the price you paid. Your feedback will greatly help in targeting the areas in our hotel that needs enhancements including advising our staff to be always courteous and helpful to our valued guests. We are looking forward to a chance to delight you more on your future visit soon.

Travelers are raving about these Carlsbad hotels

Alamogordo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

I should have listened but was swayed by the price.Luckily we did not stay here long.Room was filthy and worst of all toilet wouldn't work.When we told the manager instead of moving us or working on it they gave us a plunger. My husband worked on it for half an hour and got a towel out of it but it still did not work properly.Stay ANYWHERE else.Breakfast was terrible. Juice undrinkable.Counters and floors dirty.Food not replenished.Owners/workers do not understand English.

Room Tip: There are none
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Agawam58
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

Our room looked cleaned but there was a weird smell in the room and outside of the hotel. The whole place can use a big remodeling job. The stair way looked very old. The breakfast was not continental by any means, just toast, cereal, & coffee and the serving area looked old. The only good thing is that wasn't too expensive to stay there.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank chatoaburida
mesquite
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

I was given a room that several things don't work well. Phone did not work, drawers wont open. Light flickering. Room has an iron but no iron board.Breakfast is not that great. The hotel smells nasty. It is very noisy. It is so expensive not worth the money. The pool was closed. The front desk never ever said thank you for coming have a good day. It is not run by Americans.
Please do not go to this hotel. Very old small Television in the room the remote is not even for that t.V. LOOK AT MY PICTURES.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank frigol
OMAHA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

After booking a night I read the reviews and BOY was I regretting my non-refundable payment through another website. So I was very pleasantly suprised at what I found upon check in! The Front Desk young lady, Divya, was very pleasant, even when I locked myself out of my room and then when I had a slight problem logging onto their Wi Fi connectionl; which were both resolved with no problems. The room was VERY clean and nicely appointed, same as any other 2-3 star hotel I've stayed at during the last 2 months of my Road Trip across 13 states, at about half the price. All the facilties were clean and working and the grounds were clean. Yes, the pool was still empty as reported in other reviews, but was expected since it was cold enough to snow, which it did! I had thought I would move to another higher priced hotel/motel in town, since I had decided to stay another day to do the Carlsbad Cavern's Guided Tour the next day, after doing the Self Guided Tour today, but if they can put me up another night, I will stay here another night. The only downside was cold air seeping through door frame, however the heater worked so well this was a moot point.

Room Tip: Mention other bad internet reviews, then ask for a room you would be able to brag about in your own...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Albuquerque
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

No one needs to improve their lodging in Carlsbad, NM, because they are guaranteed full hotels from the oil and gas business. Keeping that in mind, this place is expected for the area. The pool was closed for unknown reasons in the hottest part of the year. The refrigerator doesn't work, most of them don't in this place (I asked others staying there), so don't expect to keep stuff in it. Complaining does help though, after bugging the manager every morning around 5am for my water and Gatorade from the desk and restaurant fridge, a new fridge appeared in my room after a few days worth of denial from the management that my fridge was even broken ("Did you check the plug?" he asked knowing most his fridges didn't work). The AC did work, and so did the TV...so that was nice! The room had a dirty feel about it even though they did clean every day, the towels were thin. Being a female, I was stared down by oil field workers smoking outside every time I left the room. The friendly young guy with the guitar working the front desk, and the free breakfast were the only high points of being here. My next stay in Carlsbad I went to the Best Western, and a good hotel like that one really improved my mood for being stuck in this area where the America's Best Value Inn just depressed me. Don't stay here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ABQAnnie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlsbad
Rodeway Inn
Comfort Suites
#1 of 22 in Carlsbad
Candlewood Suites Carlsbad South Hotel
La Quinta Inn & Suites Carlsbad

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!