“The Mountain Lodge is a true gem with a staff that is unmatched!”
Review of Mountain Lodge

Mountain Lodge
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Flat Rock
Thurmont, MD
“The Mountain Lodge is a true gem with a staff that is unmatched!”
Reviewed November 2, 2009

My family and I booked this lodge for ourselves and guest for my Oct. 10, 2009 wedding and it could not have been anymore perfect. From the moment we arrived Scott and his staff treated us as if we were the only people there. Scott made sure that we had everything we could possibly need, including providing us access to the conference room and the kitchen for my aunt to prepare and store all the wedding flowers. We also booked the conference room for the rehearsal dinner and it was amazing. From the cocktail hour in the rear lawn, by the beautiful waterfall, to the amazing dinner and setup inside, it was a first class affair with a personal and warm atmosphere. The rooms are perfect for an over night stay or an extended trip with each room having its own kitchenette. Scott amazed many of the guests, remembering names and faces in only a few short hours and being sure to personally greet everyone anytime he saw them. I can truly say that I have never stayed at another hotel or resort where I felt more at home than I did at the Mountain Lodge. The Mountain Lodge is a true GEM!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
HUNTSVILLE ALABAMA
Reviewed November 2, 2009

We travel extensively and we have never encountered a nicer establishment for our lodging. We stayed three nights and wish we could have stayed longer. Our room was spotless and looked brand new, very comfortable king bed with luxury linens and pillows, nice sitting area and kitched separate from bedroom. Outside behind the hotel is a beautiful courtyard with a man made waterfall and wooded setting, also an indoor pool with surrounding windows that look out on the courtyard. Morning breakfast was hot and very delicious with unique offerings such as omelet burritoes and french toast as well as bagels , cereal , pastries and fruit. Nighttime managers reception had different, delicious hot and cold appetizers, beer , wine and soft drinks. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful and remembered us each time we were in the lobby, asking if we enjoyed the activity we mentioned to them earlier in the day. They also printed out mapquest directions for us and gave advice on local dining and activities. We will definately retuirn to this hotel often and recommend to all of our friends. GREAT PLACE!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Franklin, TN
Reviewed October 26, 2009

We visit Hendersonville a couple of times a year and usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express - it's a good value, and the kids like the pool. This time we decided to try "the new place" across the highway. It looked like it might be a step up for our anniversary weekend getaway. Was it ever! The lobby is incredibly welcoming, and feels a bit like a B&B with its fireplace and folks playing a game of cards or perusing the books on the shelves. The furnishings are beautiful and comfortable, though I preferred to perch on the hearth.

I cannot overstate how accomodating the GM Scott Mutchmore is. He certainly has found his calling in life. I just worry about when he get to sleep! Everytime I saw him (which was every time we went downstairs), he was either serving a guest wine (complimentary at the evening reception), refilling a chaffing dish, wiping off a table, giving directions to an ice cream spot, or running out to hold an umbrella over new guests bring in luggage from rain.

We stayed in a king suite (which had just become available thanks to a cancellation) that definitely exceeded our expectations for the price. The nice surprises included: burnished brash hardware, fully functional mini kitchen, granite counters and shower, curved shower curtain bar, Bath & Bodyworks products, thick towels, several local interest magazines, specialty tea along with coffee, and even spa robes!

Of course, wherever you stay there is always some little something that needs attention. For us, it was merely a blown lightbulb. We called the front desk before we left for dinner (fyi, Season's restaurant at Highland Lake Inn is fantastic!), and everything was in perfect order when we returned.

We will definitely return again and again, and we won't be at all surprised if Scott is there to greet us at the door (we hope he is!). Thanks, Scott! Keep up the great work!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Maryland
Reviewed October 13, 2009

From the moment I walked through the door, my stay at the Mountain Lodge was an incredible experience. The desk attendant immediately recognized me from a visit this summer when I came to Flat Rock to look for a place for my family and friends to stay to attend my Son's wedding. Scott Mutchmore part owner/manager welcomed us with open arms and was eager to offer his services to make this a memorable weekend for me, my family, and my friends. And he did just that!! He exceed all expectations! He blocked off rooms for my family and was able to meet everyone's needs without a glitch. All rooms were top notch, clean, spacious, and tastefully decorated. I wasn't sure where to have my rehearsal dinner for about 55 people, but Scott immediately offered to host my party with a beautiful cocktail party by the waterfalls, followed by an elegant dinner in the dining room. He has his own chef for special events and my guest were very impressed with the delicious dinner, the service, and most importantly Scott's attention to detail. My family described the lodge perfectly "it feels like home."

Matthews, NC
Reviewed October 4, 2009

My family (myself, my husband and our two small kids) reserved a room at the Mountain Lodge on the recommendation of a trusted friend. Based on her recommendation, I was confident that we would find clean and tasteful accommodations. She mentioned that the staff was nice. That was an understatement! As many of these other reviews indicate, Scott and his staff are unbelievably kind and helpful! The atmosphere is best described as the warmth and friendliness of a bed and breakfast meets the privacy and roominess of a hotel (or lodge in this case). I don't think I have ever experienced such personal customer service. We didn't have any issues during the course of our stay, but based on what I saw, I would expect that they go out of their way to achieve 100% customer satisfaction.

As for the accommodations, we stayed in the 1 bedroom suite. The king size bed was very comfortable. The room was tastefully decorated. And most importantly it was CLEAN...super CLEAN! They provide, free of charge, an evening Manager's Reception with beverages (alcoholic and non) and appetizers (warm and cold). My favorite, though, was the free HOT breakfast. This was NOT your typical "free" hotel breakfast. They provided omelets, breakfast burritos, sausage, French toast, pancakes in addition to a variety of muffins, danishes and cereal. It was all very fresh and tasty!!!!

Our son loves swimming, so we spent some time in the heated indoor pool. The pool area appears to be very well maintained! One nice touch that I hadn't noticed at other hotels I've stayed in...they had fresh towels neatly folded on the chairs surrounding the pool. Proving again that no detail goes unnoticed!

A note regarding children…Scott and his staff were very welcoming to our young ones. That said, I would definitely stay (and hope to soon) at the Lodge on a weekend away with just my husband. Somehow, they manage to be completely welcoming to families while maintaining a very low-key, relaxing environment to those without children. They are gracious hosts with a real talent for what they do! One last thing that I LOVE about this Lodge…it is locally owned and the pride of ownership definitely shows!

Nashville, TN
Reviewed October 2, 2009

I was in Asheville for a funeral and my brother booked this lodge for my last night as a treat. I had a long drive the following day to return home. WOW!!!! I wish I had stayed there the entire time! It would have been worth the 20 minute drive back and forth from Asheville each day. This lodge is GORGEOUS, the rooms are AMAZING, the staff is SUPERB. I have never encountered such friendly and personable service anywhere. I had a migraine the morning I was due to check out and called the front desk as I was having a hard time getting on the road. Scott at the front desk offered me a late check-out (as long as I needed) and asked if I needed him to pick up medication for my migraine?NOBODY is that caring anymore at hotels and I really appreciated it! They all called me by name, loved it. The lobby and fireplace are so beautiful. The rooms are amazing, very clean, and the full kitchens have stainless steal appliances. Everything was perfect. I won't stay anywhere else if I travel back to the Asheville/Hendersonvill/Flat Rock area. I've been in the travel industry 17 years and this hotel wins the blue ribbon. I have a Vice President at my company who is going this weekend for a funeral. I've booked her at this lodge and am 200% confident she is going to love it and the staff will take great care of her. LOVE IT!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
burnsville, nc
Reviewed September 25, 2009

We stayed for a month and everything about staying here was Wonderful! Scott made us feel at home . The rooms were clean, food was great, and friendly staff. I will be comming back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
#2 of 11 in Hendersonville
Mountain Inn & Suites Airport
Mountain Inn & Suites Airport
#4 of 11 in Hendersonville

Been to Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!