“Now my place in the mountains!”
Review of Mountain Lodge

Mountain Lodge
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Flat Rock
Shallotte, North Carolina
“Now my place in the mountains!”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

From the time I spoke with someone on the phone to make the reservations to the day I checked out of the lodge, I loved it. Everyone was so welcoming and friendly. The lodge is beautiful. My room was clean, the sheets soft, the serves wonderful and a hot breakfast every morning. My family and I try to make it to the mountains once a year and we always stay at some hotel, well not any more. I will stay at the Mountain Lodge from now on. Did I mention how much my family and I loved it?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We decided on this motel because it was a chilly and rainy weekend and needed something for our grandchild to do.
We were SO pleased. First by the appearance of the lobby. Then by our room which was comfortable,clean, and had an efficiency kitchen. Even had a small sink! The breakfast was very good. We liked the egg burritos with salsa.
The hospitality of the staff just topped it off for us. Someone was always attentive and ready to help or just smile and greet us with a "Goodmorning!" Or "how are you this evening?"
You will not find a better place to stay in Flat Rock.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Lizjoy45
Atlanta
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed here and loved it, are going back again. Like another reviewer said, it is close to the Interstate and about 25 miles from one of our favorite places, Asheville, NC and another little town we "discovered", Hendersonville. No, it's not truly a lodge in the rustic mountain sense, so don't go there expecting that. I say hidden in the open because Mountain Lodge isn't right at the interstate exit and we might not have looked all that far off the road if we didn't already have one of the travel coupon deals, even though it is less than a mile from the exit. From the outside it looks like a corporate extended stay hotel with a big parking lot. Inside, the main lodge / lobby area is warm and inviting, with a big fireplace and a lot of wood and stone. The complementary breakfast was good too. The room we had, a studio, was outstanding. Modern, clean, nice. It has a complete kitchen and as soon as we saw it, it was off to the nearby Ingles for groceries and a movie to play in the in-room dvd player that comes along with the modern flat screen TV. The hotel appears to be fairly new, maybe 5 years old, and is reasonably priced. Like I said earlier, we are going back again, have already made a reservation, this is the highest compliment we can offer. This is the kind of room we like to hang out in.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TABKAtlanta
charlotte, nc
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend after finding a great deal for this hotel on groupon. The hotel was clean and the staff was very friendly. The hotel is located right off the highway and it serves as a great location to get to a lot of different things to see and do in the area. Breakfast is included in the price and it was a typical free hotel breakfast. The pool was clean but had excess chlorine in it the day we went in. Our room was clean but the shower head was pretty loosely connected to the wall and the soap dish looked like my one year old had attached it to the wall. Not great attention to detail but fur the price what can you expect? All in all a decent place to stay in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
East Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed April 19, 2013

It felt like a chain hotel, not a "mountain lodge." Breakfast was bad. It was fine for what we were doing there (wedding) and the location was great (easy to get out and explore the area).

All that said, if you're here to see Asheville or Greenville, I would just hotel there. If you need to be in Hendersonville or Flat Rock for some reason, or if you're blocking rooms for a wedding, this place is perfect.

The price was great. Room was pretty clean, but we had to have sheets replaced because of big gross-looking stains. Service was prompt and *very* apologetic for the sheets mixup. They handled it well and I left feeling like it was a well-managed hotel.

1 Thank Suydam
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed April 6, 2013

First off, I judge a hotel room by cleanliness. If a room doesn't feel clean, I'm not going to rate it very high. Everything else is secondary. This room seemed very clean to me. There was an odor of grease in the downstairs hallway on day one, but the morning of day 2 it smelled like bleach, so they were taking care of it. What else was good? The staff was very friendly, and they are very pet friendly. There was supposed to be a weight limit for dogs, but I don't think they cared, as I saw larger dogs. Note: dog owners: CLEAN UP AFTER YOUR DOGS!!!! Or take your pet to the empty lot across the parking lot! If people take advantage of their policies, those policies will change!

What was bad? The bed was a bit soft for our taste. They're located on the side of an interstate, so it's not a picturesque setting. Breakfast was free, but average, and the staff struggled to keep up with demand.

Improvements? I would have liked to see a wine reception in afternoons. Many places do this now. You've got a great lobby. It would have been nice to meet our neighbors. Also, amp up the breakfast menu, or at the very least, find a way to keep up with demand.

Hazlet, NJ
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This place was not as the picture shows - the breakfast is terrible i could not eat anything. The location is not in a mountain and frankly nothing to eat around. The pool was not clean, You are better of hoteling in Ashville or Greenville.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Flat Rock
#6 of 11 in Hendersonville
Best Western Hendersonville Inn
Best Western Hendersonville Inn
#2 of 11 in Hendersonville

Been to Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!