“Great B&B!”
Review of Torrey Schoolhouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Torrey
Torrey Schoolhouse
Ranked #1 of 7 Torrey B&B and Inns
Sacramento, CA
“Great B&B!”
Reviewed October 26, 2008

The Torrey Schoolhouse B&B is a great place to stay near Capitol Reef National Park. The schoolhouse has been renovated to create wonderful large rooms with excellent bathrooms, and has really retained the schoolhouse feeling. Each room had many windows to enjoy the magnificent surrounding views. And the massage chairs in each room come in handy after a day of hiking and sightseeing! Breakfast was absolutely delicious -- and very generous as well. Would certainly stay here again.

• Liked — Great rooms and delicious breakfast
  • Disliked — A bit of noise between rooms, but overall quite quiet.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
new york
Reviewed October 15, 2008

beautifully and lovingly restored historic schoolhouse-- delightful stay- clean rooms outside garden is inthe midst of final renovation but already has a charm and peacefulness (Zen inspired themes - which at first may seem out of character ) Breakfast was tasty and substantial
location is close to park and local restaurants

• Liked — its unique character
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
london
Reviewed October 7, 2008

The problems: I booked 3 nights in the Chinle room some eight months before our departure, so I was a bit concerned when we arrived and found our name not amongst those on on pieces of paper on the stairs with keys (I would have found this very odd if I'd not been alerted to this 'check-in procedure' by another TA reveiw). One of the staff turned up by chance. It seems our booking was lost. Luckily the room was available! Check your reservation before arriving. The room, as someone else has said, was rather sparse (a clock, water glass, some drawers would be nice). I think some of the rooms on the 2nd floor looked better furnished - so it was our mistake. When we asked for a couple more coathangers (there were only 2) we were given a motely collection of plastic and wire, which seemed slovenly. The skirting boards needed dusting (is it just me, or is attention to detail never up to much).

The good: the room was huge, and the bed comfortable. The bathroom was nicely kitted out and the towels good (not much in the way of toiletries though - only liquid hand soap by the bath). The air-conditioning unit also functioned as a heater - which was really needed first thing in a morning. The schoolhouse conversion is a great success. The breakfasts were very nice (although they need more coffee machines on). The owner had some good tales about Butch Cassidy.

Overall, we would certainly stay here again. I think we were unusual in staying for three nights - most people seemed to stay for one - but Capitol Reef is worth spending a couple of days in. Torrey may be small but it also has 3 good places to eat - (in order) Cafe diablo, Rim Rock, Capitol Reef Hotel.

I've only given it a '3' because we stayed at some better places on our trip - which I'd give a 4 (5 is the unattainable!).

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — sparseness
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cranford
italy
Reviewed September 22, 2008

If you like a nice place , clean rooms , modern service in a renovated schoolhouse don't esitate to stay here . We choose a room at third floor ( Moenkopi room ) , it' s an excellent room with new bathroom , very quite room . Only one negative thing : there is not elevator and if you have heavy baggage it is a little problem . Schoolhouse is a little nice museum , lovely lovely .
As others say , spend one more day to visit Capitol Reef .

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed September 17, 2008

We stayed here for one night, in one of the rooms on the third floor. The room was really spacious and comfortable and with simple contemporary decor that gave it a really peaceful feeling. There was a massage chair in the room which was very relaxing.

The whole place was very tastefully decorated and Ty was welcoming and friendly. Breakfast was vegetarian but good and enjoyed sharing travel experiences with other guests. Best of all they had a teapot and milk for English tea!
Would really recommend this B&B as a place to stay- would also recommend staying an extra day and seeing more of the Capitol Reef National Park.

• Stayed September 2008
1 Thank SamanthaUk
Kansas
Reviewed June 16, 2008

We arrived at Torrey Schoolhouse B&B around 4 p.m. and there was no one around but the housekeeper, and she said very little to us. Our keys were hanging on the stair railing. This caused no problem, but we found it a little strange.

We stayed on the 2nd floor in the Chinle Room. The rooms are very clean, large, and airy. It did seem a bit sparse as there was no radio/alarm clock, telephone, water glasses, or access to ice (that we could find). We had a king-size, very comfortable bed (but with flat pillows) and also one of the rolling-massager recliners which my husband enjoyed.

If I were to stay there again, I would ask for a room with a better view. We were on the front of the B&B, facing the street and trailer park across the street. But luckily, it was quiet.

When we arrived, my husband noticed the bathroom doorknob was not working properly, so he told me to be sure not to shut the door completely as it would probably lock. Well, he was right, as the next morning, he forgot, shut the door, and got locked inside!! We had not mentioned it to anyone as there was no innkeeper around until breakfast. Anyway, I had to get Dianna, and we finally wound up taking the entire door off the hinges. Something we will never forget!! After all the confusion, when I was paying the bill, I set my tennis shoes down on the schooldesk and left them there!! Even though I didn't contact the inn until we got home, they had kept the shoes and mailed them to me. How's that for service!!!

The breakfast was absolutely fantastic -- pecan French toast, fruit, juice, grits, bacon, coffee, etc. Great conversation with the other guests and Dianna was most gracious.

My review may seem a bit negative, but we had a great stay, and we would definitely stay there again. A very unique B&B.

• Liked — The breakfast and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Flat pillows and view
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KansasHummingbird
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 28, 2008

My husband and I recently stayed here and we loved it. We stayed in the Reading Room, which was very comfortable and clean. I'm a bit of a clean-freak and don't like to walk barefoot or sit on bedspreads (which I don't think hotels clean often enough), but I didn't have those qualms here.

Breakfast was delicious. When they give you french toast, it's not just your basic stuff... it's good freshly-baked bread with yummy batter and fresh nuts sprinkled on top. The syrup was actually maple and not that maple-flavored corn syrup stuff.

Diana, who seems to be next in charge after the owner, was extremely helpful and a wonderful, warm personality.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NY100
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torrey
Capitol Reef Resort
#4 of 6 in Torrey
Rodeway Inn Capitol Reef
Rodeway Inn Capitol Reef
#1 of 1 in Caineville

Been to Torrey Schoolhouse? Share your experiences!