“Great place for more than just the food.”
Review of Cafe Diablo

Cafe Diablo
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Diablo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 20 Restaurants in Torrey
Cuisines: Southwestern, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We were doing a kind of "road trip" along Utah Route 12 in September and stopped overnight in Torrey. Cafe Diablo was recommended to us by the motel receptionist for dinner. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

When we were there, the cafe was quiet, maybe only 1/2 full, but lively enough without being too loud. We were given a warm welcome and our order was quickly taken - steak for me chicken for my wife. Before our meals arrived, we had a while to look at some of the art on the walls, which we liked a lot. Our meals were very good when they arrived, and well presented. We then ordered desserts which were amazing - kind of works of art in themselves.

We had a great time, enjoyed the food, the atmosphere and just the whole place in general. It might be a bit expensive for some, but if ever we came back through Torrey, we'd eat there again.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

The food here was great...a surprise really to us...but the ambience was a little lacking...tables were very close together so it was impossible not to overhear other tables conversations. But we would definitely eat there again if we are back in the area.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Really nice little restaurant, offering a varied menu. We had the rattlesnake patties to start (similar to fishcakes, but more gamey). Well worth trying. Mains were well cooked and accompaniments were artistically presented.
We thought the price of the meal was really good value.

1  Thank dux26
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I have lived on Utah all my life, but have never been to Capital Reef. Torrey Utah really is a jewel in Utah. We ate at Cafe Diablo. The amazing setting is so relaxing with fantastic views. The food was great with a lot of flavor. I had the chicken and my husband had the tuna. both dishes were really good. I would come back in a heart beat.

1  Thank AlisiaUtah
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Where to begin? We were staying in Torrey on Tuesday 29th April and This place was recommended by a woman who worked on the desk of the hotel that we were staying in "the best southern style food you can get" she said. I can only guess that she had shares in the company. When we arrived the waitress who served was friendly enough, the decor was very roadside cafe but the menu did sound very nice if not a little pricey. All four of us ordered different meals so we could experience the menu... what a waste of time! Southern style food? every meal looked exactly the same when it arrived... I can only think that maybe the chef had been taking hallucinogenic drugs before she started her shift. Every dish had pile of grated raw carrot and sprig of rosemary on top of it (a pretty weird combo even by itself) I had the steak with parsnip purée and carrots and some awful sauce.... CHEF! LESS IS SOMETIMES MORE ... What I pile of bland slop that had just been served to me ... The steak was raw, the parsnip purée tasted of nothing, the two pounds of carrots on my plate were just excessive, especially with the extra raw carrot garnish pile on top... Probably the most unappetising meal that had ever been put in front of me... Until... I looked over and saw my poor wife's meal "pork medallions on a bed of wild rice with peppers and slices of mozzarella cheese.... Yes that's correct ... mozzarella cheese! WFT! Oh and yes lets not forget the trademark garnish of grated raw carrot and a rosemary branch. The pork looked like two overlooked sausage patties that could of been used as the discus at the next olympics, the rice had been cooked to the point of explosion and the slices of mozzarella... Well say no more. Bland and disgusting! We barely ate our meals and when we got the $250 bill we were surprised to see a $36 (18%) service charge had already been added without even asking us... For what? This place is more expensive than NYC and serves worse food than White Castle... Save your money and stay clear at least until the chef has been to rehab or been sacked

6  Thank David B

Been to Cafe Diablo? Share your experiences!