“Good Choice if visiting Capitol Reef National Park”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Red Sands Hotel

Red Sands Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Torrey
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Good Choice if visiting Capitol Reef National Park”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

We only stayed one night but hotel was clean and comfortable and a great place if you are visiting Capitol Reef National Park or the Grand Staircase-Escalante. There are only 2 floors (no lift) so choose upstairs if you don't want anybody making noise above you or downstairs if you cannot manage the stairs.

Breakfast was included and was ok, it was very busy with a coach party but we still managed to find a seat. Wifi was included but no in-room safe, good air conditioning.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

My wife and I have been vacationing at Capitol Reef National Park for the past dozen years. The last half-dozen visits, we have stayed at the Red Sands Hotel. Every year this family owned and run hotel surprises with a new feature. This year it was an immense elevated stone deck around the east and south sides.

Another amenity is the 15 ft by 12 ft hot tub. It is the sole reason that allows one to break a resolve, made the day before, to never go hiking again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the backside (away from the highway).
1 Thank barneyhmulligan
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

The rooms are quite nice for this class of hotel, with good air con, comfortable bed, excellent wifi. Laundry facilities. Breakfast is free and more basic than other similar hotels we've been to, little choice of healthy food - but on balance it was a very good stay. It's also very close the the park entrance.

Boise, Idaho
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

Hey, we were tired and on a road trip. We knew little to nothing about Torrey, UT. I checked the ratings and this place looked interesting and had reasonable rates, so I reserved a room. We arrived at about 9 pm.

The lady at the front desk informed us there were 2 rooms available and the one with the amenities we were looking for was used as the room they rented to people with animals. We checked that room out & it was ok / acceptable.

She & I went back downstairs & the room rate she printed out after running my card was higher than my reservation. I asked about that & she said, due to the amenities, that room was a higher cost. She should have told me that earlier, you know? So, I told her that we'd still take that room. Then she gave me a key to another room at the same rate. I was confused & asked her about that & since I had left my wife in the room she showed us, I asked her if she wanted us to go to another room? She said, yes. So I went to the room she had shown us & informed my wife that we were moving to another room. The I went & checked that room & it wasn't what we wanted, so I went back downstairs and had to find the front desk person. I expressed confusion and she finally just gave me keys to the original room (the one with my wife in it with all our luggage). The lady was nice & all, but all during this time there were two gals trying to get her attention & they appeared to be friends. They were in bathing suits, so I suppose her friends wanted to go swimming or to visit with her or whatever. I think they were distracting enough for her attention to be focused on spending time with them & not focusing on our needs. Whatever.

The room was ok and the rate, albeit higher than we were quoted, was acceptable. The TV is pretty small. Our toilet wasn't working well & I had to remove the lid and adjust the hardware to get it to stop running. I didn't bother calling the front desk... it would have taken longer & it was just easier to do myself. The restroom is small and the sink is outside in the main room. No big deal. Again, the room was average, the restroom was small, but the price reflected that.

They do provide a breakfast and it was much like most medium tier hotels, but a tad on the lower quality - I'm not slamming the breakfast, it just is what it is. They seem to only put out food in very small quantities at a time. I can accept that; I'm sure it's difficult running a hotel in a seasonal area.

I'd stay here again, it was an acceptable place. The beds were clean, the rooms were functional, the A/C worked better than many other mid-tier hotels.

Room Tip: If you can plan ahead, I'd check out all the local hotels. This one is fine, depending on what y...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Bountiful, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

Got the last rooms over Memorial day. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Rooms are nice and big, and clean. Breakfast is included and was great. Will definitely go back. Loved Capitol Reef

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Sacramento, California, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Arrived on a motorcycle with a friend on another cycle. The moment the desk person, who turned out to be the owner of the hotel, greeted us it was warm and very welcoming. My room was large, and had a very nice view looking out at awesome Utah. The owner offered to have our cycles parked directly in front to the lobby window so that they could keep an eye on them. I asked for a rag to clean my motorcycle. I got a bucket of hot water and 4 rags. I asked for a recommendation to a restaurant that we could walk to. We got thoughtful assistance and a personal ride to and from the place that we chose. We enjoyed the evening after dinner on the new deck at the rear of the hotel. The bed was excellent. There is an indoor pool and spa, but we didn't use it. Breakfast came with an attentive staff person who cooked our scrambled eggs to order. There was meat and a nice variety of items, served in a comfortable room with a very nice view. While this is a former Super 8 property, these owners have upgraded it and added personal service. I would stay at this place again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

We took a Memorial Day weekend trip to Capitol Reef and stayed at the Red Sands. Beth was so friendly and nice and kept up with the breakfast rush. My kids loved the pool. Clean rooms and a great value.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family