“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Torrey
Cedar City, Utah
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel Labor Day weekend. The front desk lady was really nice and friendly. She gave me and family a lot of information about the area and recommend us to a really good restaurant. I read another review that was put on here and I don't know why they said the she was in a bad mood. She was really friendly, nice and greeted us when we came through the door. The breakfast was really good. There is a lot to chose from. They have eggs, sausage ( and NO it was not moldy), hot cereal and cold cereal, juice, coffee, hot choc., milk, waffles, wheat bread, three different kinds of bagels which where blueberry, wheat, and white, fruit, and tea. They also cleaned are room that day and it was as clean as when we checked. The beds are nice and comfortable had a good nights sleep . I will definitely stay here again when I come back for my vacation. Everything was excellent had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
RedSandsHotel, Manager at Red Sands Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for your kind review! We are glad when guests enjoy our breakfast and the friendly staff! We are always doing our best to make sure you are having a great time in Capitol Reef National Park!

Kelli Hansen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Honestly when I first walked into the room I was pleased...it wasn't wonderful but it looked clean. I have to say I stayed 2 nights and didn't sleep at all...the bed was really hard. The first day was ok and then the next day we had thrown our towels and washcloths on the floor so we could get new ones and when we got back from hiking the maid had left no washcloths (I need to wash my face) and no new bar soap (I needed to bath) no more plastic cups (we wanted water to drink) and no new bath mat (We could slip and fall) well I could have went down to the desk and asked for all of these items but the long haired blonde girl at desk was in such a bad mood that I wouldn't have dared ask for them. Maybe the maid was mad that we didn't leave a tip...not sure but she left an envelope asking for a tip. I wouldn't stay here again. I like the BrokenSpur. Also the continental breakfast is basically a piece of toast and a bagel. Well they had a piece of sausage but it looked that moldy crabby patty from SpongeBob.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
I am very sorry you didn't have a good experience at our hotel. We would have definitely gotten more towels to your room if we had known. However thank you so much for the feed back so I can check into why your towels and amenities were not stocked in the first place. We always have many options for breakfast. Hot and cold cereal, eggs or omelets with sausage, waffles, fruit, yogurt, toast, bagels, coffee, juice, and milk. We also only use fresh food prepared that morning for our breakfast. However thank you for the feedback it is always appreciated so we can continue to improve and provide a great, relaxing experience for our guests.

Arnhem, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

In our opinion this is an average hotel. The rooms are okay, the pool is fine, the breakfast not so special. After we checked in we found out that we had noisy neighbours. The reception gave us immediatly another available room which was nice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed here last night and was glad that I checked with trip advisor. This is an extremely clean hotel. I would recommend it to anyone that needs to stay in Torrey. Gave us good information about restaurants too!

Room Tip: Great breakfast room with an outstanding view!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us at Red Sands Hotel and thank you for the great review! Please visit us again.

Best Regards,
a city by a lake, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

When we walked in, our 9yo decided that he really liked the hotel and wanted to stay longer than one night. It was day 5 of our vacation and our third lodging. I guess that means that the lobby leaves a good impression.

We arrived in Torrey earlier than expected and stopped in to see if we could do an early check in. Delila said that she thought our room was just cleaned and would check. It was and we were able to unwind in our room after a long drive from Tropic before heading to Capitol Reef which is only ~10-15 minutes away.

Some features of the hotel/rooms:

• Plenty of free parking

• Super great rates: I couldn't remember what rates we booked from one lodging to another. When we paid upon arriving, I was happily surprised at the low AAA rate.

• Room amenities: Flat screen TV with Dish (or DirecTV?), refrigerator (microwave available in breakfast dining area), nice view of a horse pasture.

• Computer: I noticed a desk with computer

• Free wi-fi: no password needed

Pool: The pool is open until 10pm (can't remember if it opens at 10am?). Use your room key to access. Plenty of towels available. Shallow end is 3 feet, deep end is 5 feet. There's a hot tub right next to it.

• Laundry: I didn't notice restricted hours for the laundry. It's on the far end of the hall near the pool and restrooms. There is a room somewhat across from it that appeared to be for staff. It cost $1.75 for wash and $1.25 for dry and was very handy after five days of hikes and excursions.

Breakfast: There is a complimentary breakfast which includes scrambled eggs, sausage, waffle maker, cereal, oatmeal, breads, coffee, juice. I've probably missed something but that covers the major items.

There are other hotels a little closer to Capitol Reef but we would probably stay here again. Red Sands Hotel has everything we needed. It's in a good location near shops in town and places to eat.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank wannabefolkie
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

i would recommend this hotel for a couple of reasons, First of all your whole point of being out here is to see capital reef ( which is fantastically beautiful ) - so you really dont need your hotel to be anything other than clean, friendly, and convenient. Red Sands fits it all. Staff was friendly and helfpul with tips. They have a VERY nice and above expected breakfast -- that will totally fill you up with plenty of options before you head out on your day of hiking. They also have a nicely maintained INdoor pool ( so works if its chilly outside ) which is great if you have kids . TIPS: get your coffee at the Gifford house in the national park ( about the only good coffee that is around ) another TIP : go up the road in teh opposite direction of the park and one of the lodges has roaming buffalo out front -- so cool

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ofriedman13
Spring City, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

On a trip around Utah's parks, Torrey has a central location near Capitol Reef. This hotel was reasonably priced and fairly new. Rooms were big and clean and the pool was nice. But don't expect a bargain at Torrey restaurants.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple