“Pretty Darn Good For What It Is”

Capitol Reef Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Torrey
Reviewed May 23, 2009

No refrig which is a pet peeve of mine. Nondescript/cold dining area which to my amazement presented correctly cooked salmon in the evening and a functional breakfast with some great rye bread (ex baker here) . This was paid fare, we did not check out the complimentary breakfast. The room had a great view. The beds were comfortable and they had decent wifi. Very close Capitol Reef. Capitol Reef and Torrey were almost an afterthough on the itinerary on the way to Moab. Wish I had spent more than 1 day here. It is just spectacular. I thought the 24 out of Torrey to the 70 was kill. Don't miss Goblin Valley. After the mixed reviews I read about this Best Western before staying here, I'd have no second thoughts about going back.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,427)

Reviewed May 19, 2009

Nice place to base a vacation in the area. The room is large and has everything you will need. The carpets and furniture doesn't look worn. It isn't a 5 star accommodation but this isn't 5 star country. It is a tad pricey but everything is in this area. The room is very clean. We don't use the pools when we travel so I can't speak about them but they appear clean and well kept. The restaurant was good as well. The trout and steak were great. We had a great view. People were walking around to and from their rooms but it isn't all about us.

Reviewed May 18, 2009

This is an old-fashioned Best Western with floral bed spreads, worn carpet, and amenities that are basic in every way.

Our room had a red rock view but we couldn't enjoy it because it was on the ground level and other guests kept walking back and forth in front of our room (and all the other rooms on that level).

Rooms are in three buildings spread over a large area. Breakfast was served on the third floor of the building most distant from the one in which we were housed. We ate breakfast elsewhere.

We also had an odd and expensive menu at Cafe Diablo, which I reviewed elsewhere.

1  Thank wonderfulworld
Reviewed May 11, 2009

When you go to the Capitol Reef area, this is a good plce to stay for a night. Excellent location close to the national Park and very nice views on the mountains. The rooms are pretty basic but adequate. We had a suite, but it offers not much more than a standard room. Restaurant is good for dinner but bad for breakfast (it's complimentary and that shows, go elsewhere to eat in the morning).

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Josbob
Reviewed May 10, 2009

This is a nice motel, but I'm not clear how they define it as a resort. Because it has a tennis court and basketball court? Perhaps. It's a reasonably nice motel that is very convenient to Capitol Reef National Park. The exterior is pleasant, although I think their description that says it is "nestled on lush lawns and gardens" is a bit of an exaggeration, although the scenery of red rocks is beautiful.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. I think the price is a little high for this style of motel, although its location may be the reason. The high-speed Internet access was excellent. The on-site restaurant was quite good -- a bit homestyle, but my Mexican food was excellent.

The room was large, but basic with a king sized bed that was rather sway-backed...but at least it was very firm, as I like it.

This is a good motel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 5, 2009

This was my first visit to Capitol Reef National Park, and as I started planning my trip, I realized there were few choices for hotels in the area. I chose Best Western because it seemed to get decent reviews and I could earn airline points. The hotel is nothing exceptional, and seems rather run-down from the outside. The room was a basic motel, with a metal door opening to the outside. The furnishings were very basic. Although the room was clean, the bed and chair were not particularly comfortable. I noticed a computer in the lobby for internet access. My room had a balcony, which was lovely, but I didn't spend much time in the room. The best feature of this hotel is its proximity to Capitol Reef. It is about a mile to the park, and 6 miles past that to the Visitor's Center. If I were to visit this area again, I would probably consider other hotels as well. Although there was nothing really wrong with this Best Western, it was not the most comfortable hotel either.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 14, 2009

Have just got back from a 3 week trip around the parks. 4 adults in their mid to late 20's.

This was one of the surprise highlights of my trip. I thought of Torrey just as an overnight stay en route to Arches from Bryce via scenic route 12. We didn't really allow any time for a stay in Capitol Reef but as we arrived early we had enough time to do a trek, see sunset/sunrise and the scenic drive in the park itself.

The BW hotel was cheap -50 odd dollars for four people.
I wasn't expecting much but the room was large, clean, comfortable, free wireless, free parking. There is a pool, jacuzzi and tennis courts but didn't have time to use them.

A word of warning about Torrey - not a lot here, there is a petrol station (reasonable) and a subway and a few restaurants around there but they all close early. I remember reading that slackers was good but found out it closed at 7!!!

Across the road from the hotel is a nice looking restaurant but we just shared a giant pizza in a bar (directly opposite hotel) and had a few drinks. - $9 for 6 bottles so that aint bad!

Also a big shout out to the manager, Chris. She was nice and offered to split our breakfast with us due to a bit of a cock up and really didn't need to do that as she already offered me the choice of a room with a jacuzzi but we opted for no charge for additional 2 people as we had only said 2 were staying. Later when we had checked out she let me use the phone to make a call out of town

I'm quite picky but would stay here again and try the restaurant across the road out.

I also recall this being the closest motel to the park so if you want proximity for sunset/sunrise I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Horse2099
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torrey
Austin's Chuckwagon Lodge and General Store
Days Inn Torrey Capital Reef
Sunlit Oasis
Sunlit Oasis
#5 of 7 in Torrey

Been to Capitol Reef Resort? Share your experiences!