“Be still my heart”

Capitol Reef Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Torrey
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I rate it excellent and write such a strange title... because this place is very special to me. The red rock surroundings are breathtaking and mesmerizing... and the view is excellent from this location outside of the small town of Torrey. This last visit (I've been here three times), in March, was kind of cut short because of a storm coming in... and while Chris, the manager, upgraded me to having breakfast, I could not stop to eat.

Perhaps that might be my only complaint about this special 'resort'... it's wonderful if you don't have to get out early in the morning and can sit and enjoy the view out the restaurant's windows and a breakfast you have to order and eat there; but if you have to get out and are 'on a roll'... a breakfast buffet is much preferable, with food you can grab and get going. So this negative for me only applies when you're not staying beyond breakfast. Just had a 'too late now' thought... and I guess I'd have to ask the motel, but perhaps there might be a 'bagged' breakfast for situations like this???? Wouldn't a breakfast burrito be perfect for that! Just an idea for the motel... don't go there thinking they do have it.

Because I'm not a summer person, and arrived earlier than their busy season... I did/could not take advantage of their pool and tennis court, and perhaps other things they provide as a resort. But everyone is so nice and helpful, and the rooms have such great views...some better than others. So just check it all out.... and see suggestion below.

THIS IS NOT A PAID PROMOTION!!!....As a member of the Best Western rewards (and two other chain memberships), I urge travelers to join motel chain memberships; it helps them as you choose them, but it also helps you because you can get benefits (free nights or gift cards, etc -- as there are times of special promotions and they'll email you about them). Also, going to the actual chain's website, there are often several kinds of discounts you can take advantage of.... and much info about amenities and photos.

Anyway, that is one reason why I first came here and have returned. I'm so thankful that the memories are so vivid inside my mind!!!!!

Room Tip: BW website does describe views available with rooms. A row of two stories of rooms are at the edge...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
capreef, Front Office Manager at Capitol Reef Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

I cant thank you enough for this review we hear it alot but you really took the time to point out the good which we try on a daily bases to provide. The breakfast idea is great I will talk to the Chimney Rock about this, it would be good in the high season for guest are up and going early I'll see what I can do. Thanks again for you comments Chris

There are newer reviews for Capitol Reef Resort

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Nice hotel with a view of the red sandstone cliffs right out the back window/porch. It is a nice introduction to the amazing rock formations of the park. I got there in the evening and did not have a reservation and they had a nice room with no advance notice. This was in April, don't know how full they get in peak season though. The room was clean and convenient and close to the park. I had my camera battery plugged in to the outlet in the bathroom and forgot and left it there. Luckily they are close to Capitol Reef and I was only ten miles away on a hike when I realized it, and was able to drive back. They had saved it for me. More outlets in the room itself may have prevented this. Front desk girl seemed overworked, and when I initially called no one answered, so I wasn't sure they were even open. She said she was the only one there and couldn't always get to the phone. But generally it was quiet and I would go there again. They have a pool and a hot tub and laundry facilities.
As others mentioned, the restaurant is not run by the Best Western even though it is part of the same building. Go elsewhere for food. Uninspired meals like frozen vegetables out of a bag and not many options. The basic egg breakfast was OK though.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Thank You for your comments we are glad you enjoyed your stay also we are happy you could come get your charger and not have to wait for the mail. The views are great we hope you enjoyed our pool and hot tub, yes there are plenty of options for dinner in season not so much in the off season. Thanks again CJ

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed for one night. The room was of usual BW standard (very good) and I like that it was Motel style so I could park right next to the room.

The breakfast in the adjoining restaurant was fine but not help yourself as in some Best Westerns.

We got a takeaway Pizza from the Patio Inn opposite the Motel as disappointingly the Rim Rock restaurant wasn't open for the season at the time of visit (late March). The pizza was delicious though!

It is good for access to the CR visitor centre where they were very helpful in recommending an alternative walk to Hickman Bridge as this is closed due to a fallen rock. We did the Cohab Canyon trail (directly opposite Hickman Bridge trailhead) which was great and overlooked Fruita at the end of the trail.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
capreef, Front Office Manager at Capitol Reef Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Great area for hiking sound like you like to do this, we are also glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank You for Your kind comments. CJ

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We and some friends had booked into (and paid a deposit for) a hotel actually in nearby Torrey. When we arrived, it was to find the place had closed down. The Best Western is about 2 miles down the road toward the Capitol Reef NP. At no notice at all they were able to find us two adjacent rooms with 'red rock' views for the next three nights - a life saver for this part of our tour of the parks and canyons.

The rooms were pretty much standard Best Western, but with a really surprising omission - no fridge! That seemed odd in a location where the day temperatures could reach 100F or more! In mitigation it must be said that there were good supplies of ice available (free) from the nearby ice-machines. In all other respects the rooms were great and we were just grateful to have them, the more so since they appeared to be completely booked out within 24 hours of our arrival.

The hotel has its own restaurant; but there are two other restaurants available on the other side of the road, just a few minutes walk away. And that is all there is in this beautiful but isolated spot!

Room Tip: A room at the back of the hotel will give views of an outlying part of 'the reef' and all it...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Skivacance

We are so happy we could help you out with getting you a room we also the rest of your trip went smooth. Thank You CJ

Reviewed April 25, 2013

My friend and I stayed here the night of April 24, my room a double with a view. The property is located about two miles east of the town of Torrey. The room was up to date and tasteful, plenty large, and had a perfectly acceptable bathroom. The balcony with a view of the rocks was awesome. WiFi Internet access was very good, and I slept well on a comfortable matress and pillows. But several things about the room were disappointing. The bathroom door would not stay ajar; it kept swinging open, so I couldn't use the bathroom light as a night light. The toilet seat would not stay up. You could see light coming in all the way around the outside door to the room when it was closed, i.e. it was poorly sealed. The room did not have nearly enough electrical outlets for today's electronic traveler. At check out, two people were staffing the front desk, but one of them completely ignored us while the other was checking out another customer. Overall, an OK place to stay, but expect the basics and not much more.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank You for your comment we are glad you liked the view and sorry about the toilet seat we will look in to this CJ

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We spent 1 night here while visiting Capitol Reef. We did a Grand Circle tour and of all the hotels we stayed at, this was probably the most disappointing. I was told that all the rooms have been renovated so no need to pay extra for a renovated room. However the decor needed to be cozier. Bed sheets are thin and the lighting is poor.

We had a view and was charged extra for this view. I would say in hindsight, it wasn't really worth the extra charge.

Use the retail me not discount code. You will get 10% off an online booking. For the price paid, I would say it is not good value. If we had to do over, we would have visited Capitol Reef and drove to Moab after without spending the night. In fact, we tried but we could not cancel without paying for the room.

I did not see any other better options in the area. Food choices are limited as well. We ate at Torrey but because it was Sunday, most restaurants were closed.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us CJ

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Convenient location just west of Capitol Reef national Park. Rooms are well maintained in a modern western motif. Very clean and staff is very helpful. Restaurant is an upscale cafe with good standard fare. Good internet, but not good cell reception unless possibly AT&T

Room Tip: Back building looking at the cliffs
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
capreef, Front Office Manager at Capitol Reef Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Thanks So Much we are excited you had a great stay and for commenting on all the things you liked about us. Again Thank You CJ

Also consider these accommodations in or near Torrey
Broken Spur Inn
#4 of 6 in Torrey
Rodeway Inn Capitol Reef
Rodeway Inn Capitol Reef
#1 of 1 in Caineville

Been to Capitol Reef Resort? Share your experiences!