“The closest hotel to Capitol Reef NP”

Capitol Reef Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Torrey
Rigby, Idaho
“The closest hotel to Capitol Reef NP”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is an older hotel with exterior entrances. It has been well-maintained and remodeled on occasion. There are different buildings with different room types available. We stayed as a family on Best Western Reward points, which were a good value. There was a nice view out the back of our room. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and there was a mini fridge and microwave, plus two flatscreen TVs. It was very convenient for the time we spent in Capitol Reef. The restaurant, although attached to the hotel lobby, is not operated by the hotel. We ate there for dinner and the food was average quality, average price, and large portions.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
capreef, Front Office Manager at Capitol Reef Resort, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thanks for your comments CJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Hebrew first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last weekend. We usually stay on the upper floor, but they have remodeled and now the upper floors are called 'suites" and are more expensive. I have stayed on the upper floors several times in the past, and they have always had a fridge. I brought along perishable food, thinking we would have a fridge because I am gluten intolerant and like to make my own food. The bottom floors are nice and have new, fancy furniture and nice beds, but no fridge. I was very disappointed. The new chairs had some kind of stains on the upholstery, looked like someone with a very wet bottom sat on them, so we did not sit in the chairs. The bottom floor rooms do have a nice view of the red rock. Breakfast is not included, scrambled eggs were good. The ladies restroom in the lobby smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. Not sure if I would stay here again. There are motels in Torrey that are much less money and include a fridge. Otherwise it is very close to Capitol Reef, a good location.

Room Tip: Upper floors may have a fridge and may be more quiet, no people staying above you. If you have the m...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
capreef, Front Office Manager at Capitol Reef Resort, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Sorry about the misunderstanding, the room you were in is called our red rock view rooms and the ones above are not our suites they are balony view room in the same building, our suites are in a seperate building west of the one you were in above the pool area. Sorry no fridges in the rooms you were in. We have many types of rooms with different set ups if you are not sure please call and we will be happy to help you answering any questions. Again we are sorry you were not happy with your choose.
CJ
North Salt Lake, Utah
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The Best Western in Torrey certainly has the beautiful views that they tout. My king room was in the "second string" so didn't look directly onto the gorgeous red rocks, but it was clean, very spacious, nicely appointed, and comfortable. The water was hot, the bed and pillows comfy, and the tv selection not too bad for a remote area. I was in town for business, not pleasure, but the hotel is situated so it's easy to go for a nice little walk and enjoy the scenery just outside Capitol Reef National Park.

The restaurant is a bit overpriced, $14 for a trout dinner with only one filet of trout plus veggies, potato, and iceberg salad, but it was good. It doesn't open until 7:30 a.m. which was going to put me in a bind to make my morning meeting so the owner let me slip in at 7:15 and quickly served me some delicious eggs, toast, and a huge bowl of fruit.

If I someday come back for pleasure, I'll book here again and request one of the rooms that has the direct view of the mountains. I'm sure they cost a little more, but it would be worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. If you don't want to pay the higher price, at least get an upstairs...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank diinslc
capreef, Front Office Manager at Capitol Reef Resort, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay I hope you can come back and stay with us again. Thank You CJ
Hayward
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The Best Western website offered this "pet-friendly" King room with breakfast for a good price but on check-in, the clerk said they didn't even offer King rooms for pet rooms and quoted a much higher rate; plus another $10+ for breakfast in the restaurant which didn't pen until 7:30am. No continental breakfast. I explained that I could go out to my car and book online for a better rate and she finally offered that rate. Only about 5 cars in the lot as off-season, the town is mostly closed so no place to eat except for the limited restaurant hours. The room was nice; clean. There is a good grassy area for the dog with plenty of room to run. I would stay there again for the right price. I imagine the rates are very high during tourism season.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Must have been in the newer building as the room was large with the bed seperated from the living area. Resturant was not that bad, pot roast was excellent and breakfast which was included in the rate was very good - set us up for the day,

Probably would use this place again if in the area, as others have mentioned, ask for a room in the newer section, there are no rooms above you which is great !!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
capreef, Front Office Manager at Capitol Reef Resort, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Great we are so happy you enjoyed your stay, Thank You CJ
BAYFIELD
Reviewed February 23, 2013

The room was clean. It seemed very new. There is a wonderful view out the back. The people were very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was OK. But I'll try something else next time.
I'll definitely stay here on my next trip to Capitol Reef.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
(Home away from Home) this means alot to us we are trying very hard to make our rooms homey and comfortable. Thank You for this comment, CJ
Colorado Springs, CO
Reviewed February 17, 2013

From reading the negative reviews, it sounds like the hotel has some older rooms that may or may not have been updated. My room is so new I can smell the new carpet. Furnishings are nice. The bed is comfortable. There is a nice view out the back. The selection of TV channels is a bit limited, but that may be endemic to the area. Torrey is a pretty small town.

The front desk staff was quite friendly and helpful.

The adjoining restaurant seemed pretty dead and the hotel staff didn't recommend it, so I ate elsewhere.

The property offers a pool, hot tub and tennis court. However, all three are outside and it's cold out! So, I didn't use them.

If I were in New York City I would be looking for some more opulence. But here in central Utah, in the land of national parks, this place really fits the bill. I strongly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new building. All rooms in the new building have a great view. It would proba...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank DJB25
Yes we just finish the capret in this room you were in. This is building needing updated we are so happy you enjoyed the room we are not all the way finished more to come. Thank You so much CJ