“Just beautiful!”
Review of Shackleford Banks

Shackleford Banks
Reviewed May 1, 2012

We went to Shackleford two ways, kayaked from Cape Lookout Lighthouse area ( we were camping on South Core) and explored that end of the island. Then later in the trip, we took Island Ferry Adventures from Beauford over to the other end of Shack. Found different shells at each end - I am told the island is about 8 miles long. I don't know the "usual" distribution of shells - if one area is "better" than another. Keep your eyes out for good miniatures, esp. Babies Ears and tiny pink scallops. I was amazed at how wonderful the water color is here, compaired to where we usually go, around Cape Hatteras. We stayed 2 hours, would like to have stayed longer but were leaving the area. No cover, so bring sunscreen, a hat, or an umbrella if you fry easily! Also, keep tabs on the weather, as other people have pointed out. Island is free, but you have to pay a ferry if you don't have a boat.

4  Thank birder87
There are newer reviews for Shackleford Banks

Reviewed March 25, 2012

Enjoyed the beach and seeing the horses. There were very few people, probably because we went during the off-season. The horses were easy to find - just walk towards the middle of the island (maybe we got lucky?) Had a nice picnic and nap on the beach. Ferry from Morehead City was $15.

4  Thank Njoytravl
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Pristine, and you are looking at the past, right in front of your eyes, today!

2  Thank John M
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Shack is one of my favorite places on earth. I have spent a lot of time camping/hiking there. There is not much on that Island that I have not seen. I have hiked all around it and had some of the best wild horse encounters. This post is kind of bitter sweet because I love talking about Shackleford, but I don't really want it to be over populated.

5  Thank Rainman40
Reviewed March 20, 2011

I don't want you to go because I want it for myself. I hear the mosquitoes are really bad here in the summer so go then.

We used Local Yokel's service to get to the island. Contrary to another review I read, I found the owner/operator quite friendly and eager to share advice about the where, why's and how's. He dropped us off at an alternative location that gave us a shorter walk to the beach and picked us up promptly.

IF you have small children, hold on to them when this guy takes off. As soon as he clears his slip he guns it all the way to the banks. On the return trip he guns it until within a short distance from his slip and pulls some jacked-up NASCAR maneuver to arrive safely at the dock. He seems to know what he's doing, but if you aren't familiar with boat travel (which I'm not), it kind of leaves you holding on to your seat.

Nevertheless, I recommend them. Keep in mind this guy is on a tight schedule sometimes depending on his loads for the day. He runs to Shackleford as well as Cape Lookout and has people to pick up and drop off every half hour on busy days. He's a local that strikes me as a fairly quiet, no-nonsense kind of guy. Leave your big-city pretentiousness at home. This is not a pleasure cruise, it's about getting you to the banks.

Oh yeah, take some toilet paper.

8  Thank JeffersonDavis