Review Highlights
Beautiful lighthouse and excellent shelling experience

I love lighthouses and we planned to spend a long weekend in the area. I had been to the island... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
terri20172018
Johnson City, Tennessee
Incredible place to spend the day

Reviewed July 27, 2019
Houdiniman7
Virginia Beach, Virginia
via mobile

All reviews cape lookout ferry ride ocean side harker's island shackleford banks day trip wild horses visitor center great island light house bunk beds pristine beach ferry service two nights low tide the national park service the east coast
Selected filters
Reviewed July 27, 2019 via mobile

A short 15 minute ferry ride from Harker's Island, Cape Lookout is not to be missed. Beautiful beaches, plenty of trails and photography opportunities, plus incredible shelling on the point.

Reviewed July 26, 2019

We were able to get to the cape lookout island from the Lookout cruises that was available to take from Beaufort. Most other ships will only boat near this island but this ship docked us right on it. we were able to go right up the lighthouse which is 207 steps up. It only cost $8 Adults and $4 kids to go up. the sights and nice ocean breeze is totally worth the hike up. They even have a guide standing at the top and a guide near the top in a window offering water to people as you go up.
Light house, restrooms, and gift shops are available on the island

Reviewed July 25, 2019 via mobile

I had to make the trip down here to see the lighthouse. My goal is to visit all the NC lighthouses. I loved that you had to take the ferry out to the island to see the lighthouse. You are able to climb it on certain days. I didn't climb it but if you do that have a shirt you can purchased that said you climbed it. The keepers quarters were good and there was a short film there. There is a boardwalk all the way to the lighthouse so it makes it accessible to everyone.

Reviewed July 24, 2019 via mobile

My family and I decided to take a day trip from Atlantic Beach to Cape Lookout. I'm a lover of all things National Park and this was my first visit to an NC lighthouse so I was stoked. The ferry ride over was great. The captain even stopped to let us view some of the wild horses up close and personal. We had 2 infants with us and decided to bring strollers which turned out to work just fine because there were boardwalks all around the island for us to use. We did go on a Monday however and did not realize the lighthouse was closed on Mondays and Tuesdays so we didn't get to go into the lighthouse but this meant less crowds so for me it was more enjoyable. The lighthouse keepers home was open though and there were exhibits to explore and the caretaker for the week took the time to answer all of our questions. We came unprepared because we dressed in casual attire and didn't bring bathing suits because we weren't thinking about the beautiful beaches that the island has.

1  Thank Katertot126
Reviewed July 9, 2019

Took the ferry from Harkers Island visitor center to the south core banks to spend the day visiting the island. What a delightful day it was discovering the history of the island and the lighthouse. Climbed the lighthouse and was able to see almost the entire island. The water was so calm as well warm. There are plenty of trails for walking. There is a great deal of history of the island and the effects of water erosion of the banks. Great place to just plant yourself down by the sandy beach.

Date of experience: June 2019