“Nice atmosphere”

Captain's Choice Restaurant
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed September 25, 2013

After eating 2 days with plastic everything at a competitive resturant, we were delighted to find a resturant with linen tablecloths and silverware. And the food was good. They open early for breakfast and they served beer and wine.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stopped for an early dinner after visiting the lighthouse. The food was great the small portions were big and the large portions were more than one person could eat. The staff were all very friendly.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Prior to eating at this restaurant I read all the reviews, even those who issued poor ratings. I am not sure those folks writing the poor ratings ate at the same Captains Choice as I did. We ate there for lunch, had a family dinner for 20 and ate on our way out. We could not have ask for better service from the waitresses. The food was great!! and if you really want to taste some good and I mean really good clam chowder that is filled with clams and not potatoes this is the place for you. I especially loved the cornmeal dumpling. Its worth the $1.00 extra you pay for local shrimp. Thank you staff of Captains Choice for making our visits worth while.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stopped at Captain's Choice Restaurant after visiting the Cape Lookout Lighthouse. It was a short drive from the ferry and offered a quick option for continuing to tour the island. The restaurant specializes in seafood, but has other options as well for those who want something else. Parking is available both in front and on the side of the restaurant.

When I entered the restaurant it took awhile for someone to show me to a table. The waitress seemed to be indifferent and just walked by without even a word. Finally a lady noticed and sat me in a corner table. The same waitress did come by and took my drink order. She definitely looked like she really didn't want to be there. Somehow fortunately that didn't translate to how she interacted with me.

I tried the oyster basket which came with fries and hushpuppies. The hushpuppies were particularly good and could've easily made a meal of them if so desired. The whole meal was good overall. I wouldn't make a habit eating it a lot given it was all fried food, but the quality was good.

The restaurant serves breakfast through dinner (although I don't know if they serve breakfast everyday or not). Prices were reasonable for the location. The inside décor was like one would expect to find in a small town along the shore. Service overall was good and the restaurant offers one of the better options on the island.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stopped in for lunch after visiting the lighthouse and even though there were relatively few customers, the service was slow and seemed disorganized. Once our waitress got to us and delivered our drinks, we didn't see our food for nearly 25 minutes. No refills on drinks were offered until we asked for them and sauces and condiments were not brought to the table until we were half way through the meal even though we requested them when the food was brought to the table. The ladies working in the restaurant were friendly, but they were also very unatentive. The food was extremely salty tasting. Hush Puppies were great though and hot, but who makes a meal of hush puppies? Cannot recommend this place for anything but sweet tea and hush puppies. Do yourself a favor and don't eat at Harkers Island. Drive on to some other town.