“Good place for a meal while on Harkers Island”

Captain's Choice Restaurant
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stopped at Captain's Choice Restaurant after visiting the Cape Lookout Lighthouse. It was a short drive from the ferry and offered a quick option for continuing to tour the island. The restaurant specializes in seafood, but has other options as well for those who want something else. Parking is available both in front and on the side of the restaurant.

When I entered the restaurant it took awhile for someone to show me to a table. The waitress seemed to be indifferent and just walked by without even a word. Finally a lady noticed and sat me in a corner table. The same waitress did come by and took my drink order. She definitely looked like she really didn't want to be there. Somehow fortunately that didn't translate to how she interacted with me.

I tried the oyster basket which came with fries and hushpuppies. The hushpuppies were particularly good and could've easily made a meal of them if so desired. The whole meal was good overall. I wouldn't make a habit eating it a lot given it was all fried food, but the quality was good.

The restaurant serves breakfast through dinner (although I don't know if they serve breakfast everyday or not). Prices were reasonable for the location. The inside décor was like one would expect to find in a small town along the shore. Service overall was good and the restaurant offers one of the better options on the island.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stopped in for lunch after visiting the lighthouse and even though there were relatively few customers, the service was slow and seemed disorganized. Once our waitress got to us and delivered our drinks, we didn't see our food for nearly 25 minutes. No refills on drinks were offered until we asked for them and sauces and condiments were not brought to the table until we were half way through the meal even though we requested them when the food was brought to the table. The ladies working in the restaurant were friendly, but they were also very unatentive. The food was extremely salty tasting. Hush Puppies were great though and hot, but who makes a meal of hush puppies? Cannot recommend this place for anything but sweet tea and hush puppies. Do yourself a favor and don't eat at Harkers Island. Drive on to some other town.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We ate here several times during a vacation on the island. The food was good most of the time but I'll pass on their crab cakes next go around. The service was outstanding and made up for food issues.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We travel to Harker's Island every year to spend time at the Cape Lookout Lighthouse and have always eaten at the Choice as well as the Fish Hook. However, the past two visits at the Choice have been disappointing. Wifey and I enjoy eating oysters but for some reason the restaurant over seasons them to the point it's as if you're eating salted down seafood. Last year I commented to the cook regarding our experience with the oysters who became visibly offended at this comment. In addition, last year my wife ordered the grilled shrimp which also was drowned in some sort of Cajun seasoning and couldn't eat them. It's obvious we have a thing about too much sodium in our food and take that into consideration when eating out.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We ate at the Captain's Choice restaurant twice during our stay near Harker's Island. We thought the food was great! The service was excellent and I really appreciated the beautiful decor and the friendly service. We plan to visit them again next time we are down east!