“a northern star” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kotzebue
Juneau, Alaska
“a northern star”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

the place was above and beyond other five star hotels I have stayed at. It was very safe. keylocks on the elevators,so no staying guest could not get up to the floors. keylockes on the doors going to the hallway where your room was located. Also clean, friendly people. Enternet was great. Most places say they have enternet and you can hardly assess you email. They had fast and reliable internet(did not not have to plug into a terminal). The restrurant was fabulous. it is only 0.06 miles from airport and is right in town.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Boxxie L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

You can't beat a stay at this place if you're in Kotz. Clean, comfortable rooms. Good restaurant and fantastically helpful staff. We also used the conference room facility. Well-equipped, comfortable, properly lit and equipped for webcams/webconferences.

Recommend this place highly and will stay here again when in town.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank hatlad
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for two nights while on a visit trip in Kotzebue.

I was pleasantly surprised as soon as I walked into the hotel. Our driver had told us that the hotel had recently been rennovated so we were coming at a great time. The brightly colored decor in the lobby (which was upstairs) was refreshing. Check-in was quick and easy. My room was amazing. (I had a little trouble working the TV and DirecTV combo but the operator was very helpful.) I ordered room service the first night and it was delivered in less than 10min!! Definitely a plus in my book. There was an observatory not too far from my room of which I took advantage. It was a relaxing lounge where you can stare at the water or read a little of the Kotzebue history. The next morning I went downstairs for the breakfast buffet (not included with the room). I thought the view from my room was nice but the view from the restaurant was AMAZING! I would suggest asking for a window seat but every seat offers a nice view, provided the restaurant is not crowded.
Though my stay was short here, it definitely left an impression. This was my FAVORITE hotel of my entire AK trip. (Yes, even better than the Anchorage Marriott.)
If I ever travel back for pleasure, I will definitely splurge (@$499/night, or so the sign on the room door read) and stay here.

1 Thank JoClayB
NMS-Lodging, Director of Marketing at Nullagvik Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Hello -

Thank you for the great feedback. It’s common for us to hear how nice it is for guests to stay at this Arctic location and enjoy all the amenities, but we always appreciate it when you take the time to share it with others.

I do need to point out that our regular rate for a one night stay is $259, not $499. Some states mandate that hotels post their maximum rate (which includes possible variables) in a conspicuous place (often on the back of the door) for your protection.

Hope to see you in the future!

Shelley
Director of Marketing
Ketchikan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Considering location this hotel worth every penny. The rooms are clean, modern, beds are comfortable and staff are friendly. We used the hotel in September before a hunting trip and we had planed to reuse the hotel again on our way back, However, due to bad weather our return flight from wilderness got delayed. We got to Kotzebue few hours before our departure flight. The hotel manager agreed to let us use a room to shower, cleanup and repack our gear for a small fee (after 10 days in wilderness it was appreciated very much). Definitely recommend this hotel if you are visiting Kotzebue.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kourossassani
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

I was to stay at the Nullagvik on both ends of my caribou hunt north of Kotzebue. Just prior to my travel I was contacted by Lisa Wright, GM of the Nullagvik. She informed me that due to some maintenance at the Nullagvik, my stay prior to my hunt would not be possible due to the hotel being closed. She went on to tell me that she had already made arrangements for me to stay at a nearby B&B and that the Nullagvik would be picking up the charges. In fact they did - no issues and totally transparent to me. Coming out of the tundra, we were delayed about 36 hours. The Nullagvik was able to cancel my previous reservations and thus avoid any charges and at about 10:30 pm accommodate me a night later. Having stayed at a local B&B and then at the Nullagvik I got to experience the accommodation options in Kotzebue. The Nullagvik is clearly the way to go. Large, clean, and quiet rooms with all conveniences. As someone who travels to make a living, I found the Nullagvik to definitely be an oasis while in Kotzebue. Lisa and the entire staff are flexible, friendly, and very customer focused. If your plans include staying in Kotzebue, I highly recommend staying at the Nullagvik.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Tom A
great green swamp
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

I have no idea what the price was on this hotel as my company houses us here prior to the move to company housing.

That being said, the staff were very friendly, the rooms spotless. There was limited tv available and free internet access. The rooms were quiet, included coffee pot, microwave, small frig and iron. w/d facilities available on floor but cost was about $10 a load.

Continental breakfast was not offered, there is a restaurant on the main floor with a great view of the water and mountains, but I did not dine there. Within walking distance to the post office and rotman's grocery. You can get a cab to anywhere in Kotzebue for $6. There just isn't really anywhere to go here.

1 Thank swampsis
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

The new Nullagvik Hotel is built on the site formerly occupied by the original place (which was much in need of replacement). It is a top notch, super modern lodging facility with very clean & spacious rooms, good & friendly service -- and even has a restaurant with excellent water views. As someone who travels all throughout "Bush Alaska", it is indeed amazing to find a lodging facility of this caliber in such a remote location. I appreciate having a refrigerator, microwave, and a comfortable bed, and the Wifi system operates reasonably well. While other Trip Advisor guests (probably from "outside of Alaska?) have commented on the cost of staying at the Nullagvik, one needs to be aware that every item in the hotel -- from towels & linens, to TP & furniture, and even the fuel to generate electricity & heat -- must be brought in from far away & and great expense (via barge and/or airplanes!). So, please enjoy all of the wonderful amenities that are offered at the Nullagvik Hotel, and be sure to learn about the history and culture of the Inupiat people who have lived in the area for thousands of years -- and enjoy the beautiful wild areas of the region's public lands (National Parks/Monuments and Wildlife Refuge).

2 Thank G C

Been to Nullagvik Hotel? Share your experiences!