“A hidden gem: serenity, relaxation & luxury on the bay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manteo
The Burrus House Inn
Ranked #5 of 9 Manteo B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 12, 2010

The Burress House Inn is a hidden gem. The setting is serene and beautiful, the furnishings and interior decorations are beyond compare and the hosts are helpful yet unintrusive.

This is NOT a bed & breakfast - it is an inn, where you are left to your own devices. The nine luxury suites afford you the utmost in privacy and allow you to rest, relax & pamper yourself. Bagels, butter, cream cheese & bottled water are supplied in each suite, along with a gourmet coffeemaker, toaster & microwave. The linens are first class and the bed was extremely comfortable. Our suite had a gas fireplace in the well-equipped living room area & another in the bedroom - each with it's own exquisite antique hearth.

By design, the innkeeper is not present at the inn office 24/7; rather, she's available via cell phone, even when she's off-site or after hours. My wife & I found her to be pleasant, engaging and full of information about the area (restaurants, especially).

I had the pleasure of meeting the owner as we were leaving and he shared his vision of a quiet waterside inn offering luxurious accommodations without incessantly fawning over the guests. This place absolutely achieves his goal.

If you want a place that's overrun with staff, anticpating your every want & need...this is NOT the place for you! The Burress House Inn offers a beautiful venue, deluxe in design and furnishings, replete with privacy and serenity - what one makes of it is left entirely up to the individual.

I almost hesitated to write this review and reveal our secret, hidden gem, but to try to keep it to ourselves would selfish and unfair. A place this wonderful deserves to be enjoyed by all!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CreamPuffDaddy

Reviewed March 26, 2010

First and Foremost: This is not a B&B, but a wonderful lodge with guest apartments and common areas. Parking is easy, location is ideal, views are lovely, and the suites are beautiful and super clean. Wine glasses, corkscrew, and microwave are in apartments but no cooking facilities. DVD player, private porches, large jetted tubs. Only recommendation is regular coffee makers and not the specialty packets/machines, but there is a delightful coffee house just down the street. Have dinner at the Lone Cedar Restaurant - the seafood is freshly caught and perfectly prepared! Saturday is karaoke in the bar - great fun. Location of Inn is great for exploring Kitty Hawk and the lighthouses up and down the coast. Thank you, Vickie, for a great weekend!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ElizabethMax
Reviewed October 13, 2009

My husband and I were to stay here for our 25 anniversary we left out and stayed at Winston Salem the night before, we got a call late that night that my brother was in a serious ATV accident in ICU, I called to cancel on short notice and was not charged a dime. Not many places would have done that. So that show me that they are very nice people.
Thanks a lot
Davis/Wv

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank maceyWalton_
Reviewed September 15, 2009

Quiet, beautifully decorated clean room with a nice view and a wide selection of toiletries, very close to the cultural sights we wanted to visit. That was all we got for $800. It was way overpriced and there was very poor service. We were charged twice for the room, still unresolved. When I filled out the online form answering the question, "Do you have any special dietary needs?" I was asked by the innkeeper why I was telling her I was a vegetarian when they do not serve food. I was told they cut out breakfast to save the customer money after we had already booked the room expecting breakfast (see the photo of coffee cups on their web page.) She then told me there would be bagels in the room but there weren't. Other amenities that were advertised were not present: no hair dryer or radio or video selection and wireless Internet did not work in the room. The rattan furniture gave off a bad smell and the coffee maker only worked with their specialty coffee so I could not make my tea or plain coffee. We stayed 3 days and only saw a staff person once, who merely said, "Good Morning." This experience was pretty much like renting an expensive condo. Not like and Inn or B&B, which is what we thought we were getting.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lostcolony
Reviewed August 17, 2009

Don't be fooled by their website. We were very disappointed in the acommodations at the Burrus Inn. Housekeeping was non-existent. We had to find our own towels in the laundry room (door was left open). Innkeeper said they do not check the room for towels, etc, if you are there for a short stay. The innkeeper was not available when we needed something. Don't expect breakfast, either! Also had a foul odor coming up through the sink drain line. There was a realty sign out front. Hopefully the next owners will make some much needed improvements.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank welchtraveler
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Stayed three nights at the Burrus House Inn and I completely enjoyed not only the peacefulness of the inn but also the innkeeper. She went the extra mile to ensure that we had a great time and were able to relax. Had a beautiful view of the sound and the added bonus of nature. Was definitely worth staying there and just taking a quick trip to the more populated beach when we wanted.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank SMLRose
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We really enjoyed our stay at the Burrus House Inn, however, it was more like a condo than a bed and breakfast. Great views of the Roanoke Sound, Jockey's Ridge, & Downtown Manteo. First, there was no breakfast. The only sustenance in our room was butter and coffee. The room itself was gorgeous, and very comfortable. You can tell they left no stone unturned with the suites. Beautiful hardware, furniture & decor. Everything was very clean and restocked. There was a small kitchenette, with a microwave, fridge, toaster & Flavia coffee maker (1 cup at a time).

Like others, we had to call the innkeeper from our cell phone to check in, and never saw her after that. They have a beautiful entryway and living area, but it doesn't look like it's used much, Everything in the main area was so sparse, it almost looked like they had just opened. Their mail was lying around the counter, it just didn't look very professional.

The only big complaints I had was being able to hear the people above us & no Wi-Fi. We weren't able to hear talking or anything, but everytime they walked around, the floors creaked, the bed creaked, everything. I'm sure if people were below us, they would have been able to hear us walking around as well. We were woken up much earlier than we would have liked thanks to the creaking. As for the Wi-Fi, it was not advertised on the website, but I think that these days its hard to find a place that doesn't. It would have been nice to be able to look things up online, instead of trying to use my cell phone to get online. There wasn't even anywhere around that we could "borrow" from.

We did enjoy our stay here. It was a beautiful room to come back to after long days sightseeing, and we're not very social when we're on vacation - we don't really like meeting new people and spending time around people we don't know. :) However, if you're looking for a true B&B where you get to know the innkeepers and the other visitors, this is not the place to do it.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CaniacRN
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manteo
Elizabethan Inn
#1 of 5 in Nags Head
Scarborough Inn
Scarborough Inn
#6 of 9 in Manteo

Been to The Burrus House Inn? Share your experiences!