“Good for the Size”

Ranked #5 of 40 things to do in Manteo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Aquariums may be great on their own merits for the size they are. This one was. If you compare it on a scale of 1 to 10 in size, however, it was probably a 2 or 3. I've been spoiled by bigger aquariums. So for what it has and does, it is a very good aquarium.

I think it was the Aquarium at Fort Fisher that was the one I so loved. In the size scale, I would guess it was a 7 or 8. My experience is very limited, however. To me, it was a 10. :) It was an earlier trip, and my son was younger. He didn't allow me to take as much time as I would have liked to read about and view the exhibits.

If you have kids, it is definitely worth visiting.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,213)
All reviews
in 43 reviews
"nice place to visit"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Good exhibits and touch tanks and polite staff. Kids loved seeing the otters, alligators and all the different types of ocean life.

1  Thank Jonathan J
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is a very nice and clean aquarium. But, don't go in comparing it to Shedd's or you will be sorely disappointed. It is small but they have made the most of it. Highlight was getting the touch the stingrays and watching the Shark show.

1  Thank Jmason7
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stopped to break up our trip to the NC Outer Banks. The aquarium is small but has well-done, educational displays. I thought the shark tank was the best exhibit.

1  Thank mrgAmes_IA
See more reviews
Reviewed August 15, 2012

This is a nice way to spend a few hours. The aquarium is relatively smaill, but has a nice mix of things to see. You can spend several hours if you take your time, but this is not an all day event. They have a variety of programs, including some small group classes that give kids a chance to participate in a variety of aquarium tasks. We used our membership from the Museum of Science in Boston to get in free (they have a reciprocal agreement) so make sure to check their website to see if you can take advantage of a reciprocal arrangement.

1  Thank pghtransplant