“Good, but not great”

Ranked #8 of 38 Restaurants in Manteo
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Description: Darrell’s is a family-style seafood restaurant that’s been a favorite on Roanoke Island since 1960. Seafood is the definite specialty; the fried oysters are widely touted as the best anywhere, served with the traditional fixings of cole slaw, french fries and hush puppies. Locals know that Darrell’s does seafood right. Land food, children’s fare and light eaters’ dishes are also available. Darrell’s is now serving the best BBQ and BBQ Ribs fresh off an all narural wood fired smoker. Helpings are heaping and desserts are delicious, if you have room. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served Monday-Saturday and breakfast and lunch on Sunday’s.
Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Pros here - kids meals were practically the same portions as adult meals - my husband enjoyed the broiled flounder - friendly staff - good service
Cons - a bit pricey - crab cakes looked a little like hockey pucks, not what I would expect of a $17 dish - side dish choices not great

Not sure that we would go back

Reviewed June 27, 2014

We ate an early supper here our first night in Manteo, and it was decent. My husband enjoyed his fried soft shelled crabs, and my fried shrimp were okay. For fried seafood, the prices were a bit high - though makes sense for a touristy area. I expect it's a good place for families.

1  Thank Heather T
Reviewed June 26, 2014

The servers and hostess were great. The food was mediocre at best. The potato salad, I could not even eat, it was mushy and fake tasting. The catfish was fair, not bad. The fried food tasted like it was cooked in old grease. My mother had popcorn shrimp and they only tasted like breading and grease. My sister had soft shells, she said the same. The collards were pretty good. The hushpuppies were hard and not very warm. We have eaten there for decades but with all the other restaurants near by that offer the same items PLUS more, we most likely won't be back. They are out of date as far as we are concerned.

1  Thank OBXer41
Reviewed June 11, 2014

The food at Darrel's was very good. Portions were very large. We could easily have ordered one less entree and no one would have left hungry.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

Darrell's is tucked away off 64 in Manteo. We decided to try it after a terrible experience at Mulligan's in Nag's Head.

The exterior is unassuming and parking can be a bit tight. Probably didn't help that some guy parked his monster King Ranch Ford F-350 at the entrance to the back lot.

My wife ordered broiled flounder and I ordered broiled catfish. Both were served right on the broiling plate, perfectly-cooked, and didn't come swimming in butter/oil like they do at many restaurants. The flounder tasted fresh and briny, the catfish was delicate and flaky.

The sides were below average. The hushpuppies had good flavor but were very dry. The green beans were standard southern diner style. The "pickled beets" are clearly from a can and not made in-house.

On a positive note, the staff are very friendly and attentive. They know the regulars by name along with their orders. The manager saw someone bump our car in the parking lot (very lightly, no damage at all) and was thoughtful enough to photograph their license plate and find us to let us know since they drove away.

Overall Darrell's is decent compared to a lot of local places in the Outer Banks. There are very few "great" restaurants there. The prices are a bit high but I would go back for dinner.

2  Thank gunrunnerNC