“Good breakfast!”

Ranked #10 of 37 Restaurants in Manteo
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Darrell’s is a family-style seafood restaurant that’s been a favorite on Roanoke Island since 1960. Seafood is the definite specialty; the fried oysters are widely touted as the best anywhere, served with the traditional fixings of cole slaw, french fries and hush puppies. Locals know that Darrell’s does seafood right. Land food, children’s fare and light eaters’ dishes are also available. Darrell’s is now serving the best BBQ and BBQ Ribs fresh off an all narural wood fired smoker. Helpings are heaping and desserts are delicious, if you have room. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served Monday-Saturday and breakfast and lunch on Sunday’s.
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Everything in Kill Devil Hills was so crowded that we took a drive to Manteo and decided to stop at Darrell's. While the food was very good, we almost missed our chance to try it. The hostess was not friendly at all. There were three groups waiting with our group of four being at the front of the line. The groups behind us (one having 3 people and the other with 4) were seated ahead of us because it appears that they were locals. Living in a resort area myself (VA Beach) I could understand that but it still left a poor impression seeing as we had waiting in the rain just to get in the door and waited longer than these parties.Despite the unfriendliness of the hostess, the service from our waitress was great and the food was very good. I had the western omelet with home friends and rye toast. Big portions of everything and it was cooked perfectly. I'm glad we stayed to try it!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We decided to have dinner at Darrell's because we had a good experience there several years ago with a large group. This time we had 7 in our group and we were seated within 5 minutes. The service was prompt and everyone found something they liked on the menu. It's very much a family style restaurant...lots of choices of traditional side dishes, each served in a separate bowl. Entrees included two sides so we felt like it was good food and a good value.

Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

We came here for breakfast because our normal spots were closed or there was a long wait. It was great good for a greasy spoon breakfast. Prices are cheap and you get too much food, but that's better than not enough in my opinion! I got the sausage gravy and biscuits and they were to die for. I don't know what they used in it but it was sweet and salty at the same time and just great. For a quick breakfast before heading to the beach, I'd highly recommend it!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We had a terrible experience here. Canned green beans and broiled shrimp so hard it couldn't be eaten. The flounder was bland and mushy, the scallops weren't cleaned properly, the shrimp was inedible, even the salad was mushy. The waitress was rude. I suggest avoiding the restaurant at all costs. I would have done better at the McDonald's next door. The quote was the servers reply to my returning the broiled shrimp because they were so over-cooked they were hard.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We went to Darrell's on the recommendation of a local friend, but sadly, we could not share her enthusiasm for this restaurant. The seafood here was not fresh at all, which surprised us given that seafood is the main focus of this place! Or perhaps our dishes were just really poorly prepared. In any case, the shrimps in my dish were rather small and very dry (either because they were frozen or totally overcooked), and we were shocked to taste that our sides of green beans were clearly from a can! Our waitress was lovely, but clearly too young to know anything about alcoholic beverages - unsurprisingly, she couldn't help with any information on the wines on offer, and brought me a Cab Sauv instead of a Sauv Blanc... I'd recommend going to Striper's Bar and Grill instead, which is right behind Darrell's!