“Mixed review...”

Ranked #10 of 38 Restaurants in Manteo
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Description: Darrell’s is a family-style seafood restaurant that’s been a favorite on Roanoke Island since 1960. Seafood is the definite specialty; the fried oysters are widely touted as the best anywhere, served with the traditional fixings of cole slaw, french fries and hush puppies. Locals know that Darrell’s does seafood right. Land food, children’s fare and light eaters’ dishes are also available. Darrell’s is now serving the best BBQ and BBQ Ribs fresh off an all narural wood fired smoker. Helpings are heaping and desserts are delicious, if you have room. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served Monday-Saturday and breakfast and lunch on Sunday’s.
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Some things were outstanding - my she crab soup, for instance. Some things not so much - a broiled flounder still swimming...in butter. Seems hit or miss.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

They had the most awesome sweet potato pancakes!!! I would definitely eat there again. Everyone was really nice and even sent me on my way with a cup of coffee to go

Reviewed December 27, 2012

At lunch in early December, one of us ordered the (advertised as lump) crabcake sandwich, and when it came, it was definitely not lump -- very finely minced crab with a lot of filler. Very disappointing. And no lettuce or tomato on the bun. Stark. Decor is minimal; service is adequate. We would not return.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

My husband and I love Darrell's. We have made it an OBX tradition. The food is always fresh, the service friendly, and you always get more than enough food. The proportions are great and the price is even bettter, no wonder it is a local favorite.

1  Thank vacasluth
Reviewed December 10, 2012

The wine queen and I stopped in for the first time on the way into Manto to do some shopping. We arrived mid morning, the place was empty and of course quiet.

After browsing their menu with a decent variety of breakfast choices we decided to each have their special, a scrambled egg,cheese and sausage combination spread on top of two biscuit halves. But the queen and I noticed that they also had sausage gravy and biscuits and asked if we could get and split a side of gravy to put on top of our breakfast. They willingly complied.

We sipped some pretty good coffee while waiting for our breakfasts to arrive. As an aside, after a couple of cups, I switched to decaf, and found it to lack richness. Just my luck.

The concoction we faced in the way of breakfast was quite tasty, albeit too much food for me. And I tried to eat too much of it. The "scrambled" was good, lots of sausage. And the sausage gravy was good, too.

In retrospect, I'd probably just order some scrambled eggs and a side of sausage gravy the next time to pour over it and would be quite satisfied. That would been just right. That would be all the sausage content I'd need.

While waiting, we asked to see the dinner menu. Darrell's serves a pretty good looking variety, and in the off season (approx Labor Day to Memorial Day), they have a number of $10 and $12 specials to choose from.

The breakfast prices were reasonable. But most notable was the price of the side of sausage gravy. While an order of gravy and biscuits was nearly $6.00, the side was just $1.25. Our whole bill was just $14.23, I believe.

Oh, and the mens and ladies rooms were clean! Not bad for a place that was perhaps 50 years old.

We will return.