“A consistent hit year after year”

Poor Richard's Sandwich Shop
Ranked #2 of 35 Restaurants in Manteo
Cuisines: American, Soups
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Start the Morning w Freshly Cooked Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner. The Pub overlooks Main Street Manteo and the dining room and back porch overlook the sound and Marina along the boardwalk.
“A consistent hit year after year”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

I have been going to Poor Richards at least twice for each of our visits to the North Carolina Outer Banks. My first visit was back in 1992. Little has changed over the years other than expansion and updated interiors. The menu is simple, but remains fantastic. Boars Head cold cuts, well grilled sandwiches and truly crisp dill pickles are memorable.

• Visited September 2013

“Sit on the waterfront and savor your lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

We returned three times so that tells it all. This is a serve yourself order at the counter kind of place with inside and outside seating. Food was affordable and delicious all three times. We came by boat from Pirates Cove and it was a nice outing with yummy food after crossing the sound in our small boat. Casual outside porch is right in the center of the historic downtown area so you can spend a few hours here easily and even tour the lighthouse while you are there.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank SCRAPPYJupiter
Lexington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yummy on the Water”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

I had a great Reuben sandwich after a week of seafood. Friends liked their crab cake sandwiches.Efficient service giving time to browse the town. Deck on water gave us much to watch while we enjoyed our lunch. I recommend Poor Richard's.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Diana K
Virginia
“Very disapointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I was not impressed. I was surprised after reading the other reviews. The other reviewers clearly didn't have the same experience as me. I thought the sandwich was something I could get anywhere. The bread was cheap and so was the meat....i don't believe it was boars head as they claim. The pimento cheese my sister had tasted strange. I won't go back.

• Visited August 2013
Reuben9, Owner at Poor Richard's Sandwich Shop, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Avaberry,
I'm suprised and concerned after reading your negitive review on your visit to Poor Richard's We've been in business since 1984 and been proudly carring Boar's Head Products since the beginning. So as the owner of Poor Richard's, I would appreciate any feedback on what could have given you doubt that we were not serving Boar's Head Products. This is something that I would like to know to make sure it never happens again. I'll say that's a first, but I want to make sure it's the last.
We simply carry white, wheat, rye, subs & wraps. All our sandwich bread is delivered daily and is what we've been serving since the doors opened in 1984. I'll say it's worked pretty well over the years and locals and tourist have been more than pleased.
Youre comments on the Pimento Cheese you sister ordered is an old Manteo Island Recipe that's been handed down for generations and does not taste like store bought Pimento Cheese, so that might be why your sister thought it tasted different,,, It's homemade.
What worries me about this review is that is is very supisous and I hope it's not posted for reasons other than you unfortunately having a bad experience at my establishment. Tripadvisor is an important tool for our vistors and hopefully is not being munipulated by someone wanting to get something the easy way and someone makeing a dollar getting them there.
Sincerly,
Tod Clissold
New Smyrna Beach
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

The sandwiches were yummy and fairly priced. I prefer table service to placing your order with a cashier.

Visited August 2013