“Really Outstanding Activity, Not to be Missed!!!!!!”

Barrier Island Aviation
More attraction details
Owner description: The best way to view the magnificent beauty of the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Seating up to two passengers in front of our pilot, our open cockpit aircraft is one of the original WWII trainer biplanes built by WACO. Flying in this vintage aircraft is truly an unforgettable experience!
New Bern, North Carolina
106 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 121 helpful votes
“Really Outstanding Activity, Not to be Missed!!!!!!”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

What can I say about this except SUPERB!!!!!!!!! we took the 20 min flight in the 1939 Biplane and what a great flight. My wife and I were taken very good care of by our pilot Andy and through the flight we had the narrative from him on the various historic locations below us. We really enjoyed looking the part with our Snoopy Helmets "See Pic"
We flew over the Wright memorial which we visited on the ground the day before. We also flew over the coastline where you would be able to see 2 shipwrecks on a calm day but as we had heavy surf we were not able to.
We did not care anyway as we had the time of our lives flying around in such a historic aircraft.
This is a must do activity if you want to see the Outer Banks at its finest.

Visited April 2014

Middletown, Delaware
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome Flight”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This was my second time up in the biplane. The first time was so AWESOME. It was the highlight of my trip to the Outer Banks. This time was just as great. Enjoyed hearing about what we were seeing and seeing the beauty of the area. Everyone at the airfield was friendly and helpful right down to the offical greater "Jelly". This is a must do when visiting the OBX. Will definately consider a Third trip up. May even make this an annual event !

Visited October 2013
Houston, Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“AIRworthy adventure!!”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We really enjoyed the excitement of riding in an open cockpit, historic biplane while viewing the breath taking scenery of the outer banks areas around Hattaras or over to Wright brothers first flight area in Kill Devil Hills with Barrier Island Aviation. Outstanding views of the beaches, marshes, ocean, etc. Passengers are supplied with leather flight hats containing built in ear phones to enable passengers to hear from the pilot all about the scenery, points of interest, underwater ship wrecks, historical areas, etc. We took one 35 minute tour and enjoyed it so much we immediately requested a second tour and took off again! Highly enjoyable and not to be missed if you are in the area!! Biplanes kept in top condition and the pilot was very experienced. Travel tip- schedule your flight directly with Barrier Island Aviation (not through another service) to avoid any schedule mishaps!

Visited October 2013
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
“Flew in a WWII biplane! Wow!”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This was such a wonderful experience for my teenaged daughter and me! She loved it simply for the sheer enjoyment of sitting in an open cockpit and wearing a leather helmit with earphones. We listened to air traffic control communications with the pilot and once airborn the pilot taoked to us as he flew over various things to see.

I was so impressed with this jewel of history, a beautifuy crafted and exquisitely maintained aircraft. It is a trainer biplane and the front cockpit seats two passengers side-by-side. The pilot's cockpit is directly behing us. We could watch the training cockpit control pedals and guages as they mimic'd the pilot's actions. I didn't want it to end, and my daughter's ear-to-ear smile was enless. My spine still tingles when I think about this once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Do it! It's worth it!

This was a Father's Day gift from my wife. When we learned that the flight will accomodate two people at no extra charge my daughter went up with me. My wife really didn't want to do it. Or else she simply graciously deferred to "father/daughter." I'll post a photo once I get the file.

Visited July 2013
Schuylkill Haven, Pennsylvania, United States
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“See the Ocean from Above”
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

This is fabulous. I have wanted to ride in a Cessna for many many years. We booked 2 back to back 10 minute flights as we have 5 in our party and only 3 can go up at a time. My lucky hubby rode it twice!!! The pilot was funny, informative, and competent. He pointed out things we were seeing. I still can't believe that Jockey's Ridge looked flat from above. One of the best things I have ever done on a beach vacation. Highly Recommend.

Visited August 2013