“Impressive show!”
Review of The Lost Colony

The Lost Colony
Ranked #1 of 39 things to do in Manteo
More attraction details
Owner description: Bursting with action and excitement, The Lost Colony is the epic story of America's first English colony. Over thirty years before the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock, a group of 117 men, women and children waded ashore on Roanoke Island in July 1587 to establish the first permanent settlement of its kind in the Americas. Recruited by Sir Walter Raleigh, among these settlers was John White, his pregnant daughter, Eleanor Dare, her husband Ananias and the Indian chief Manteo who had become an English ally during a previous visit in Britain. They unloaded their belongings and supplies and repaired on old fort previously erected on the island. On August 18, 1587 Eleanor Dare gave birth to a daughter she named Virginia, thus earning the distinction of being the first English child born on American soil. Ten days later, John White departed for England promising to return with more supplies. It was the last time he would ever see his family. Three years later, John White returned to Roanoke Island on his granddaughter's third birthday only to find the settlement deserted, plundered and surrounded by overgrown brush. On one of the palisades, he found the single word "CROATOAN" carved into the surface, and the letters "CRO" carved into a nearby tree. The 117 pioneers of Roanoke Island had vanished into the great wilderness and into folklore. Their collective fate to this day remains unknown and is considered to be America's greatest mystery. Nestled along the shores of America's most historic and mysterious island, over 100 professional actors, technicians and designers have gathered every summer since 1937 to honor the memory of the brave people who came here to build a new country. The production is as epic as their story. Written by Pulitzer Prize winning playwright Paul Green, The Lost Colony is a cultural treasure and the best family entertainment on the Outer Banks! Performances Monday through Saturday nights May 29-Aug 22, 2015 at 7:30PM.
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I've been to outdoor dramas and Broadway shows, so I pretty much knew what to expect from The Lost Colony. I was not disappointed! The set was amazing, and the transformations fascinated me. The costumes were simply incredible! The poor cast - I can't fathom how HOT they must be in their wool costumes. I'd be a blobby pool of sweat if I had to work in those conditions. My hats off to them! The night we were there, the queen seemed to be a bit off, but I didn't find that it took away from the show. We sat in the third row, in the center and the view was fantastic - you could see everything. Tip: do NOT get the "beachside picnic" before the show for dinner. I was totally misled - I thought we would be sitting at picnic tables on the beach. Instead, we got our extremely overpriced dinner in a bag and had to straddle a bench to eat. The food wasn't that good - we threw more than half of it away and watched the show hungry. Bugspray is a MUST. The mosquitoes were insane.

1  Thank JenGirl9
brandonasny, Manager at The Lost Colony, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Thanks for your review of your experience here at the theater. Your details will help those who attend in the future. We're glad you had an enjoyable experience and wish you safe travels wherever you might find yourself!

There are newer reviews for The Lost Colony

Reviewed July 28, 2011

I purchased two tickets online (etix). We sat center stage (LL Center), row E, seats 108 and 109 and the view was perfect. Our tickets cost $24 each plus a $1.50 handline fee. At the box office, the clerk tried to sale me a $15 program book, saying that I would need it to distinguish the Native Americans from the colonists. I'm not sure what that was all about. I didn't buy the book and had no problem telling who was whom during the performance. There were smaller pamphlets, listing the cast and including ads from area businesses, which was free and also helpful. Look for it. I was forewarned to bring bug spray, but then forgot. The concession stands have OFF! and I spent $8 for a small bottle. Expensive but necessary. Careful of anyone downwind of you who's spraying it. You could choke on the air, which was thick with it. I would also recommend taking your own cold drink. Otherwise, plan on $3 for something there. Before the performance starts, while the lights are up, there are huge, huge bugs buzzing around. Some drive rather close to people's heads. I have no idea what these are, but I ducked away more than once. Once the lights go down and the show starts, they seem to disappear. The setup is wonderful. Sturdy, comfortable chairs and sand floors. The set is great and the actors do a fabulous job. You'll recognize many of the names as either towns or streets. Beware the gunfire, it's very loud. People flinch. A wonderful educational opportunity and, I'll agree, a must see for everyone who is fond of the Outer Banks.

3  Thank LRich

Reviewed July 25, 2011

I went to the Lost Colony with my parents (both in their 70's). We lived in NC for many years and had always heard about this performance so we finally decided to go see it. I would recommend the VIP package, as it is well worth the price. Our picnic dinner, was ready when we checked in and picnic tables were available just outside the theater. Adrianna's in Manteo was the caterer and it was delicious! The sandwiches were fresh and they were not stingy with the chicken salad. We had fruit cups, cookies, rice crispy treats, some vegetables and crackers with humus (I think, but it was good) and then some bruschetta style bread and topping in addition to the sandwiches. We probably could have split 2 dinners between the 3 of us and still had more than plenty. The backstage tour was very interesting. Our tour guides were Austin and Osmary, who both provided great explanations of the history, scenery operation, and costumes. The play itself was very well done. The scenery was changed while you enjoyed the action on one of the other stages. I think I will echo some other reviews and say that you should bring bug spray since I saw many people using it at the beginning and during intermission. No one in my party was bothered by mosquitoes but we opted for the Off Clip-Ons instead of spray. The night we attended the play it was very hot and muggy. If I made another recommendation it would be to consider the battery operated personal fans if they made little or no noise.

5  Thank Tulip76
brandonasny, Manager at The Lost Colony, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

So glad you topped by to let us know about your visits to the theater and writing a 5 star review. We look forward to seeing you on Roanoke Island again in the future and please let us know if we can be of any help with anything!

Reviewed July 16, 2011

our 13 and 8 year old asked to go back (they had seen it a few years ago). We did the backstage tour, we had four of the cast members walk us thru history and the backstage areas. The show was great, the kids really loved it. As long as you remember it's a story (no one really knows what happened) it's great fun.

1  Thank fabdog

Reviewed July 16, 2011

More than a history lesson and theatre experience... The Lost Colony is an event! Loved the giant puppets and indians that greet and entertain on the way to the theatre. The show itself is more than we expected. Truly broadway quality. Costumes are beautiful, the acting is superb and what makes it even more amazing is that it all happens outdoors.

We bought our tickets in advance and had excellent seats. Can't say there are any bad ones as there is a main stage and two smaller stages. Lots of action. dancing and beautiful singing. Don;t know how they work that huge ship that shows up from behind the stage. Will take the backstage tour next year and see for myself.

Glad my wife talked me into going.

1  Thank NeptuneBurger
brandonasny, Manager at The Lost Colony, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013