“Every North Carolinian should see this at least once.”
Review of The Lost Colony

The Lost Colony
Ranked #1 of 39 things to do in Manteo
More attraction details
Owner description: Bursting with action and excitement, The Lost Colony is the epic story of America's first English colony. Over thirty years before the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock, a group of 117 men, women and children waded ashore on Roanoke Island in July 1587 to establish the first permanent settlement of its kind in the Americas. Recruited by Sir Walter Raleigh, among these settlers was John White, his pregnant daughter, Eleanor Dare, her husband Ananias and the Indian chief Manteo who had become an English ally during a previous visit in Britain. They unloaded their belongings and supplies and repaired on old fort previously erected on the island. On August 18, 1587 Eleanor Dare gave birth to a daughter she named Virginia, thus earning the distinction of being the first English child born on American soil. Ten days later, John White departed for England promising to return with more supplies. It was the last time he would ever see his family. Three years later, John White returned to Roanoke Island on his granddaughter's third birthday only to find the settlement deserted, plundered and surrounded by overgrown brush. On one of the palisades, he found the single word "CROATOAN" carved into the surface, and the letters "CRO" carved into a nearby tree. The 117 pioneers of Roanoke Island had vanished into the great wilderness and into folklore. Their collective fate to this day remains unknown and is considered to be America's greatest mystery. Nestled along the shores of America's most historic and mysterious island, over 100 professional actors, technicians and designers have gathered every summer since 1937 to honor the memory of the brave people who came here to build a new country. The production is as epic as their story. Written by Pulitzer Prize winning playwright Paul Green, The Lost Colony is a cultural treasure and the best family entertainment on the Outer Banks! Performances Monday through Saturday nights May 29-Aug 22, 2015 at 7:30PM.
Bladenboro, NC
“Every North Carolinian should see this at least once.”
Reviewed July 15, 2011

My family and I, which includes ten year-old twins, enjoyed every second of our experience at The Lost Colony. Forget about trying to identify any historical inaccuracies and just enjoy the show. It is a spectacular production. As a forty year-old man, I have wanted to see this since I was a child. It was well worth the wait! We were very impressed with the professionalism of everyone we met who was associated with the drama. I highly recommend the backstage tour, although I can not say the same for the available meal option. Over-priced and a bit bland. Nevertheless, this is a separate entity operating in conjunction with the drama and in no way should influence your decision to attend. Just eat before you go! Can't wait to see it again.

Visited July 2011
brandonasny, Manager at The Lost Colony, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
So glad you topped by to let us know about your visits to the theater and writing a 5 star review. We look forward to seeing you on Roanoke Island again in the future and please let us know if we can be of any help with anything!

Manns Harbor NC
“great but terrible gift shop”
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I love the show!! I go every year and love it. It is not completely historically acurate due to we have no idea what happened to the lost colony thus "LOST" so we can only assume. the show leaves you to assume where they go. I just hated the gift shop. I go every year and love the gift shop with all the lost colony magnets and post cards and such but this year it was Kitty Hawk Kites running the gift shop and it was more like they were trying to sell their stuff than lost colony related stuff. but the show is great regardless.

Visited June 2011
brandonasny, Manager at The Lost Colony, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thanks for taking a moment to let us know how much you enjoyed the show! We hope that you can make it back again. The gift shop, which you specifically referred to, is in a constant state of change, like any other retail operation. Kitty Hawk Kites has added many new items both last year and for the coming year. Please let us know if there's anything specific you might like to see on the shelves. Thanks again!
West Simsbury, Connecticut
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Fun Evening for the Family”
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Our kids (11 year old twin boys) enjoyed the performance of "The Lost Colony" as much as we did. There is plenty of action for kids and plenty of interesting history for adults. The acting is wonderful and very professional. The costumes and sets are remarkable too. We were rained out on the night we had planned to go (a rarity), but our tickets were honored for the next night with nearly the same seats. Get cancellation insurance if you are on a tight agenda, as there are no refunds for rain outs. On the evening we were there, the weather was pleasant (we didn't need sweaters or sweatshirts), but DO NOT forget your insect repellant!

Atlanta, Georgia
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Great Evening under the stars with local stars”
Reviewed July 9, 2011

I attended the production of "The Lost Colony" while traveling in the Outer Banks in late June. They did a great job and I would recommend it for families or people of all ages. The production itself was well-done and featured beautiful costumes. There was high drama with gunfire, sword fights and several appearances of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth I. The actors made full use of the stage and surrounding areas, including the aisles in the audience. There were lots of families and people of all ages in attendance. I think it was a professional production worth attending. The thing I would caution folks about...it is acted in a British accent. If you are not used to listening to this, you may not quite understand the story.

During the intermission I overhead two guys discussing the drama. One said, "Hey man, did you get all of that and what was going on?" The other said, "Well, I am not sure" and gave a brief summary of what he thought was happening. They both agreed it was kind of high brow and were not sure of what the dialog was all about. I have spent some time in UK and watch a lot of BBC shows, listen to BBC podcasts, etc. so my ear is better "tuned" to the accent and words they use (a bit different sometimes from what it appears on the surface). I got it but I would say maybe the average kid or even adult might not. The action will keep you engaged even if you are not sure what they are talking about.

A social studies teacher in our group said that the idea they inserted about the Spanish contributing to the disappearance of the colony was TOTALLY wrong. She said she teaches NC history to elementary kids and that is NOT a part of the story. According to my brochure, tickets range from $10 for kids to $24 in upper level for adults. The season runs from May 27 to August 20 this year. I would put it on the to do list...

1 Thank scrapqueen40

Ludlow, Massachusetts
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Wow!”
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Excellent production. Highly recommend. Along with the history, the actors are first rate and the production and costumes blew my mind. Well worth the money.

Visited July 2011