“Has the feel of an old fashioned diner”

Big Al's Restaurant and Grill
Ranked #7 of 37 Restaurants in Manteo
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: The past is back! Big Al's Soda Fountain & Grill serves up authentic American fare in a retro 50's fun dining atmosphere. Restaurant features soda fountain counter, juke box, dance floor, game room/arcade, one of the largest Coca-Cola memorabilia collections in the country, fresh never-frozen USDA certified Prime Angus burgers, home made desserts, 50's inspired gift-shop and blue-plate specials. New owners have recently updated the restaurant from top to bottom with a focus on a quality dining experience with all the good flavors of the era.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I loved this place! The food (sandwiches) were good, and there was not a long wait. I loved how it was decorated to look like the 1950's. My husband was less impressed with the food, but I would definitely visit here again. My three kids loved it, too!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stopped here for lunch between visiting the gardens and aquarium. Fun diner type place, nostalgic, good music playing and the food we had was good! We had great service, no wait and the food came out fast. I asked a question about the meatloaf and the waitress went and got me some to try to see if I wanted to order it. I actually had a chicken caeser salad and hush puppies, my hubbie had bleu cheese burger and sweet potato fries. Both were very tasty, and I must say that the hush puppies were some of the best I have had anywhere! Not the healthiest food around, but for a splurge meal it is great!

Reviewed October 11, 2012

It was a cool September evening and I was in Manteo looking for a car battery. Where to eat? Not a lot to choose from, so I picked the restaurant with the biggest sign--Big Al's Restaurant and Grill. It is close to state route 64 and there were a few cars in the parking lot when we pulled in at around 8:15 p.m.

The waitress was friendly and there was only one other group in the restaurant. We really enjoyed the music playing on the juke box (not enough of these anymore!), along with all of the nostalgic Coca-Cola advertising displays and local photos.

I ordered the tuna melt and it was grilled to perfection. Really, really a great sandwich. The onion rings were tasty, too. My sister ordered the bar-b-que and it, too, was delicious. We both had chocolate malts as well. Can't even remember when I had one the last time. Very good with a slight taste of malted milk balls.

My only disappointment was that they did not offer Coca-Cola cake on the dessert menu. This would have been the perfect ending to a great meal. They do have Mr. Pibb cake (I believe that is what it is called), but we were not willing to try it--completely sold on Coca-Cola cake.

The two couples at the other table finished their meal and took a turn on the dance floor before leaving. That was cool--told you the music was kickin'!

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Had to wait a really long time and finally flagged someone down just to get waited on. Waited almost as long for the food, which was OK but nothing fantastic. Not wasting my time here again.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We have made dinner at Big Al's a part of our trips to Manteo during vacations to the Outer Banks. It is a fun kid friendly place to have burgers, fries and a giant milkshake. We always feel like singing along to the music of the 50's being played while we eat.