“Beware of raw food in kids meal.”

Big Al's Restaurant and Grill
Ranked #6 of 38 Restaurants in Manteo
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: The past is back! Big Al's Soda Fountain & Grill serves up authentic American fare in a retro 50's fun dining atmosphere. Restaurant features soda fountain counter, juke box, dance floor, game room/arcade, one of the largest Coca-Cola memorabilia collections in the country, fresh never-frozen USDA certified Prime Angus burgers, home made desserts, 50's inspired gift-shop and blue-plate specials. New owners have recently updated the restaurant from top to bottom with a focus on a quality dining experience with all the good flavors of the era.
Reviewed July 2, 2011

My child ordered the kids chicken finger plate. As we were playing "clean up" because my son had only eaten one piece, I took a bite and noticed the entire end was raw. The management discussed with us and took off the bill. This is serious though when you are talking about childrens meals.

3  Thank darlarudy

Reviewed July 1, 2011

I just want to start out by saying I enjoyed dining at Big Al's when I was in OBX 4 years ago. My daughter loved it so much she couldn't wait to take her friend there this time. I read reviews online before vacation and was aware of several poor reviews but figured they were just disgruntled customers and decided to chance it. We arrived there mid-afternoon (not dinner and not lunch time). When we walked in, the "hostess" called a group to be seated and totally ignored an older gentleman that approached the counter just prior to her calling the group. When she came back, she took his information so he could wait. We then gave her our information with the request for a table, not a booth. This seemed to aggravate her but she made note of it and told us it would be about 15 minutes. We sat down to wait. Meanwhile, several other groups came in, including a party of 12. They were given wait times of 15-20 minutes. We asked to see a menu while we waited to keep the girls busy. After 35 minutes, the party of 12 was called back to be seated. I'm not sure but I'm fairly confident that they don't have booths that accomodate 12 people which means they used a table that could've seated our party of 4. At that point we just gave up because the girls were starving. We turned our menu in and asked to have our name taken off the list because we were going elsewhere. Having extensive customer service experience, I feel they should've done more than just say "OK" and cross it off. How about finding out exactly what the problem is and if there is anything they could do to rectify it? The "hostess" could have cared less and spent most of her time behind the counter, sucking on a soda and staring into space. I sent an email to them a week ago and have yet to have a response which only adds to the fact that the entire business needs training in customer service.

5  Thank CaffeineWmn
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Very nice family friendly 50/60's diner. Good burgers, lots of kids meal choices and nice gift shop. If you are looking for somewhere casual with a twist of fun this is great. Not gourmet just tasty diner food. Plus, don't miss out on the onion rings, yum! Kasey our waitress was friendly and provided great service.

2  Thank Mark_W_PA
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Awesome food, good prices and friendly staff! This place is on our list of "must visits" when we come back to the
Outer Banks..

2  Thank rini3692004
Reviewed June 23, 2011

The waiter we had was very helpful with advice and an upbeat attitude. The food was great and the menu included a wide variety. They have chocolate coke! The kids loved it and so did my wife and I. I highly recommend for families. A nice gift shop is included with wonderful retro gifts, as the restaurant is decorated with fun nostalgic items including a hardwood dance floor. We had our entrees very quickly and enjoyed every bite!

2  Thank tsgraham