“Spectacular” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tranquil House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manteo
Tranquil House Inn
Ranked #4 of 9 Manteo B&B and Inns
NC
“Spectacular”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2010

A beautiful Inn on the lovely Outer Banks of NC. Rooms are quiet and well appointed. This property is well maintained, and the staff is absolutely wonderful! A great complimentary continental style breakfast is served as well as complimentary evening wine and cheese.

I have stayed here for a number of years and the Inn remains to uphold its standards of quality and service. Which is rare in this age. When we arrived this time for a 2 night stay our room had been accidentaly assigned to someone in a very large wedding party. Within a few minutes we were assigned another room for that night, and moved to our original room the next day. As well our weekend was comped to us and many aplogies made. We had dinner at the 4 star restuarant on the property, 1587, and our dinner was comped as well.

So refreshing to know that in this day and age the customer is the top priority, and management knows what to do to that end. Everything was handled beautifully!! I would not stay anywhere else on this island but here!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank arbit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2010

We stayed 2 nights at the Tranquil Inn in Manteo on Roanoke Island in October, 2010. We also ate dinner both nights in the restaurant "1857" located on the first floor of the Inn. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the people working there were friendly and helpful. It is a step above most B&B's in that there are truly separate rooms with individual entry off of the balcony on the second floor, which has a wonderful view of the harbor. There is a small sitting room on the second floor, where afternoon snacks and morning continental breakfast is served. The restaurant was excellent, with local seafood dishes and good service. Would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank backporch
New York City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2010

This place is a bit worn around the edges; I looked here for hotels before my trip, and one person did warn that it was an older hotel and had a musty smell--she was right, though I found the whole town had a musty smell; though the room was surface clean, the rugs had stains, the coverlet had stains (though the sheets were clean, I specifically checked), the towels had stains, the bathroom desperately needed regrouting. We were there two days, and the housekeeping service for our room was very good. The buffet breakfast was like eating at home, nothing special, cereal, some muffins, bagels--if you're a hardy eater, go elsewhere for breakfast. So saying, the location was good, as we were exploring the Outer Banks. The room was a nice large corner room, and once the heat of the day ended, we opened the windows and got a nice breeze. I found the people at the front desk quite nice. I wouldn't stay here again nor recommend it to a friend; however, the person I was traveling with thought it was a fine old hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2010

We stayed at Tranquil House Inn the week of September 13th. After we checked in, we were sitting on the loveseat in the room and my husband spotted something under the edge of the bed. He went over and found it was a condom wrapper. Ughh! Then shortly after that, I went to use one of the glasses. The paper topper was still on the glass, but after I took it off, it still was wet and smelled like wine, plus it had lipstick prints around the rim of the glass. At this point, I was disgusted. I called the front desk to tell them what we had found and to ask if our room had been cleaned. She checked some roster and said it had been marked off that it had been cleaned. She didn't even offer a sincere apology. For the rest of our stay, everything felt dirty to me. The heavy feather pillows smelled (we didn't use these at all). Instead of things being quaint and charming in the room, it just all looked dirty to me. The bathtub/shower was dirty and the grout was discolored. The ceiling vents were rusted and dirty, and the switchplates were also nasty. I had been anxious to try the onsite 1587 restaurant, but after finding how dirty the room was, I didn't want to chance on how clean they kept their kitchen. The check-in letter also reminded us it's customary to leave a tip for the housekeeper, and $3-$4 per day was usual. After our initial findings, needless to say we did not leave a tip.

I will say some positive things about the Inn... the continental breakfast is decent (for a continental breakfast), and the daily 5pm wine and cheese offering is also a nice touch. The Inn is also in a great location in Manteo on the waterfront (although the water directly in front of the Inn has a warning about containing human and animal waste... ughh!) and is very close to the Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse. I also liked that the Inn wasn't a commercialized hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MonicaMonica
Pinehurst, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2010

Historical Inn over hyped and over priced. It is located on the harbor and has a deck area affording a fine view. But the people at the front desk seem disinterested, the offerings of wine and cheese in the afternoon were of mediocre quality. There was no offer to help with bags. The exterior stairway to the upper floors had narrow treads. Caution had to be taken when descending. The room was small and the beds wooden footboards made it smaller as you tried to navigate around them and not stub a toe.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Karen B
Midlothian
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2010

We were primarily in Manteo to see The Lost Colony. Manteo is a quaint little town. Tranquil House Inn is an older hotel on the sound. It was clean and the rooms were large. I requested a waterfront room and was given the option of the 2nd floor or 3rd. When I asked the difference, I was told the 3rd floor rooms were larger; so I took that. However, I didn't have the view that I paid for. The windows were small dormer windows AND the hotel, really faces the bridge and the marina. So the water view is minimal unless you walk out onto the deck on the 2nd floor. So I sat out there when I was at the hotel. It is a a charming hotel. We did not eat there. The staff was not overly friendly but they were not rude...just not the warm southern hospitality that I am used to. I thought the price was a little much for what I received; especially for that area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Tracey M
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2010

My sister in law and neice stayed here for 2 nights. We loved the view from our window and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was a little small but had everything that was needed. The breakfast was fine and the staff was helpful at every turn. We thoroughly enjoyed the town. The B&B provided bikes at no charge and we loved riding around to look at quaint houses and hisoric sites. The restaraunt was OK and provided a 20% discount if you attend the outdoor drama, The Lost Colony. One thing to remember is that the town shuts down at 11 so if you attend the play there is nowhere to go afterwards for someting to eat or drink.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manteo
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks/ Corolla
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk

Been to Tranquil House Inn? Share your experiences!